Psellus Does the Byzantine Commonwealth: My Balkan Adventures

Started by Queequeg, December 09, 2015, 09:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

Hey if you want to talk about Poland you better get the fuck out of Poland bitch!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Maladict

Just got back from a trip to Vienna and Budapest. Visited the military museum to see Franz Ferdinand's car, totally blown away by how awesome that place is. Possibly best military museum I've ever been to. :mmm:

Also, the newly reopened Kunstkammer :wub:

Liep

Quote from: Maladict on April 06, 2016, 07:49:28 AM

You make me want to swing by Vienna on my trip. :angry: Well, I'm going to Bratislava anyhow.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

Quote from: Liep on April 06, 2016, 07:56:39 AM

You make me want to swing by Vienna on my trip. :angry: Well, I'm going to Bratislava anyhow.

Bratislava is a lot more fun than Vienna, that's a fine choice.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Just returned from my Belgrade + Zagreb trip. Fun as always.

It's striking how different those two cities are.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 06, 2016, 05:55:01 PM
Like Austin and Houston.

So one has no zoning and smells like sewage and the other is the epitome of hipsterness? :hmm:

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on April 06, 2016, 05:53:14 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 06, 2016, 05:32:07 PM
It's striking how different those two cities are.

In what way?

Zagreb (or at least its center) is clean, pretty, has a strong central-European feel and is relatively well ordered. Cars are nicer, traffic is fluid, people dress sharply.

Belgrade is dirtier, looks a bit run down in many places, has a much more chaotic (and much more lively) feel. Traffic seems a nightmare, and you get a few odd looking fellas even in the city center.

Threviel

Just got back from a trip to Vienna and Budapest. Visited the military museum to see Franz Ferdinand's car, totally blown away by how awesome that place is. Possibly best military museum I've ever been to. :mmm:

I went there without knowing that the car was there. My jaw dropped to the floor I entered the room and saw it.

The model ov Viribus Unitis was cool as hell also. Great museum.