Psellus Does the Byzantine Commonwealth: My Balkan Adventures

Started by Queequeg, December 09, 2015, 09:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Queequeg on December 21, 2015, 05:10:18 PM
Syt, would you be able to meet before the 28th?

I'd be good for meeting on the 26th or 27th.

Keep in mind: with the Christmas Holidays, much of the city comes to a halt. Most shops will be closed from Thursday afternoon (Christmas Eve) till Sunday (25th/26th are Christmas holidays, and 27th is a regular Sunday). There are supermarkets at a few train stations in case you need to pick something up. Some museums may have different opening hours or may be closed - best to check their websites. Some restaurants might also be closed.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: Syt on December 22, 2015, 03:15:38 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on December 21, 2015, 05:10:18 PM
Syt, would you be able to meet before the 28th?

I'd be good for meeting on the 26th or 27th.

Keep in mind: with the Christmas Holidays, much of the city comes to a halt. Most shops will be closed from Thursday afternoon (Christmas Eve) till Sunday (25th/26th are Christmas holidays, and 27th is a regular Sunday). There are supermarkets at a few train stations in case you need to pick something up. Some museums may have different opening hours or may be closed - best to check their websites. Some restaurants might also be closed.
Vienna is far, far more expensive than I am used to on this trip, so honestly my plans are Gluhwein+Doner+Museums for the next few days, almost exclusively, and going to fancy or even decent places to eat is barely an option.

Syt

Ok, what do you think of meeting on the 26th, noon, at the Christmas Market between Kunsthistorisches and Naturhistorisches? We can grab a bite (or at the Sausage/Kebab stands at the nearby tram station across from parliament) and then either go to a museum or for a walk around the Inner City?

Is there a museum you haven't seen yet and would like to go to?

If you're on a tight budget, many places have lunch time specials on work days (usually 5-8 EUR), and many Chinese and some Turkish places will have all you can eat buffets.

You could also go to Gagarin - they have fixed prices for drinks, but "pay what you like" for food: http://cafegagarin.at/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Queequeg

Sounds good, Syt.  Meet in front of the Art History Museum itself?

I love this city.  Way more than anticipated.  It's wonderful. 

Do you know of any aid organizations that work with ex-Yugoslav or Russian refugees?  I could see myself working here. 

Eddie Teach

Might be easier to find a job if you're willing to work with Arabs.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Queequeg on December 23, 2015, 04:36:16 AM
Sounds good, Syt.  Meet in front of the Art History Museum itself?

Yep. :)

QuoteI love this city.  Way more than anticipated.  It's wonderful.

Glad you do. :)

QuoteDo you know of any aid organizations that work with ex-Yugoslav or Russian refugees?  I could see myself working here.

I honestly don't know. AFAIK most ex-Yugos here in town are settled down, and while they may have their own networks, I'm not sure there would be an aid organization geared to them. I don't think we have many Russian refugees, unless you count Chechens.

The biggest aid organizations would be Diakonie (Lutheran) or Caritas (Catholic), and probably more. There is a website for NGO jobs, though: http://www.ngojobs.at/working-for-an-ngo-in-austria/
—Stephen Jay Gould

Queequeg

Yeah I was asking about who would work w Chechens yesterday and my crazy, literally crazy ex-Fascist hyper-Catholic super handsome bisexual self-hating nobility-descended Austrian friend I met in exile in Belgrade suggested Caritas. Then today I ran in to a Chechen gathering in the middle of the city and talked to a bunch of the non-terrifying looking people.

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on December 24, 2015, 12:21:31 PM
Yeah I was asking about who would work w Chechens yesterday and my crazy, literally crazy ex-Fascist hyper-Catholic super handsome bisexual self-hating nobility-descended Austrian friend I met in exile in Belgrade suggested Caritas.

Wow. Sounds like your type of guy alright :hug:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Squeelus, if you don't mind my asking, how did you come up with the pelf for this trip?

Queequeg

Delayed graduation present.  I've been living really cheaply until now.

Syt, do you have PayPal?  My debit card was stolen alll the way back in Macedonia and WesternUnion is closed.

Syt

Quote from: Queequeg on December 25, 2015, 03:15:14 AM
Syt, do you have PayPal?  My debit card was stolen alll the way back in Macedonia and WesternUnion is closed.

Unfortunately, no.

Have you checked the store locator on the Western Union webpage? https://www.westernunion.at/WUCOMWEB/staticMid.do?pagename=agentLocator

I would think that at least in First District a few should be open.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Queequeg on December 24, 2015, 12:21:31 PM
[...] my crazy, literally crazy ex-Fascist hyper-Catholic super handsome bisexual self-hating nobility-descended Austrian friend I met in exile in Belgrade [...] I ran in to a Chechen gathering [...]

That's mildly unsettling. :unsure:
—Stephen Jay Gould