News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Josquius

I dunno. You do hear that about stonehenge too. And Greeks aren't exactly the whitey mcwhiteface, not massively paler than Egyptians (where you more commonly hear this than mesoamericans)
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Nothing says advanced spacefaring civilsation more than not using arches  :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on January 05, 2023, 04:13:22 AMI dunno. You do hear that about stonehenge too. And Greeks aren't exactly the whitey mcwhiteface, not massively darker than Egyptians (where you more commonly hear this than mesoamericans)

But in the popular history the Greeks were albinos.

Threviel

Well, one was built by an iron age civilization and one was built by a barely copper age civilization. And one has written records dealing with construction and the other has written records with difficult names dealing with construction.

Darth Wagtaros

The Ancient Aliens thing is basically a racist dogwhistle.
PDH!

viper37

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 05, 2023, 07:40:00 AMThe Ancient Aliens thing is basically a racist dogwhistle.
Don't know.  It just seems crazy.  "See these ancient tracks that look like chariot tracks but are not the same as 19th century chariots?  They're actually landing tracks for spacecrafts"  Duh...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 05, 2023, 07:40:00 AMThe Ancient Aliens thing is basically a racist dogwhistle.

Isn't everything?  :rolleyes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 05, 2023, 11:03:44 AM

Isn't everything?  :rolleyes:

So you are saying an idea based around brown people being too savage to build stuff shouldn't be interpreted as racist? That seems unreasonable.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

I'm not convinced it's only applied to brown people.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

It's a bit simplistic. I doubt most americans even know what an Egyptian looks like (modern or ancient).  It can be explains in many ways. For example. They know pyramids are big, and most people think the past is a lot more primitive then it is, so the answer is aliens.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 05, 2023, 11:11:43 AMI'm not convinced it's only applied to brown people.

Well that is where it all comes from. Finding big ruins among the browns and trying to figure out how that happened.

Granted it just goes on to crazy places from that basis. But that doesn't change the basis.

But what kind of evidence would convince you?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: HVC on January 05, 2023, 11:32:36 AMIt's a bit simplistic. I doubt most americans even know what an Egyptian looks like (modern or ancient).  It can be explains in many ways. For example. They know pyramids are big, and most people think the past is a lot more primitive then it is, so the answer is aliens.

I think in school they showed us the clearly not white painted images from egyptian tombs.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on January 05, 2023, 12:07:11 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 05, 2023, 11:32:36 AMIt's a bit simplistic. I doubt most americans even know what an Egyptian looks like (modern or ancient).  It can be explains in many ways. For example. They know pyramids are big, and most people think the past is a lot more primitive then it is, so the answer is aliens.

I think in school they showed us the clearly not white painted images from egyptian tombs.

Yeah, but you were an edyptophile so paid attention because their god are cool :D

Besides,  all the cool stuff is in hot places. Early complex civilization started there, so that leads to an abundance of places to point to and go "aliens"!  white Europe has a stone circle. Woopty doo :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

It seems to me presuming the local people did not build the shit around them wasn't really a thing until colonialism. And sure once you start trying to figure out which lost tribe of Israel really did build the mounds in Ohio eventually you start thinking aliens gave ancient Mayans laser guns. Stupid ideas quickly take you down the rabbit hole.