News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on January 06, 2023, 05:59:37 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 06, 2023, 04:51:41 PMI dunno - when the US was under actual attack on 9/11, it sure seemed like the world gave all kinds of help.  Just as one example when all those airplanes landed in places like Newfoundland or Whitehorse people turned out in droves to house the passengers until they could fly home.
Yes.

When there's forest fires, all provinces that aren't with the same problem send aircrafts to help fight the fires.  When they have massive storms/hurricane that cut the power, Hydro-Quebec sends people to help repair the lines.  I'm pretty sure other provinces do the same.  And I remember Americans sending help in 1998 during the server ice storms too.

The only thing we don't do is help them plan a coup d'état in their own country. ;)

Founder of the Proud Boys is an English born Canadian. Nothing is original in the USA.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on January 19, 2023, 08:55:44 AM"Oh noes! I was captured by hunky Vikings!" is a common genre in romance/erotica.

I'll take your word for it.  I don't want the mental image of your and your hunky Viking captors.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on January 19, 2023, 09:32:35 AM
Quote from: The Brain on January 19, 2023, 08:55:44 AM"Oh noes! I was captured by hunky Vikings!" is a common genre in romance/erotica.

I'll take your word for it.  I don't want the mental image of your and your hunky Viking captors.

Whatever you do, don't picture of the Vikings throwing brain into a pen full of animals thinking it's punishment.

HVC

Well that explains why it's the first time I've seen her smile :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Threviel

I read somewhere that the Anglo-Saxons deemed the vikings effeminate and vain and they also had a habit of raping the monks as well as the nuns. So kind of the exact opposite of 19th century romantic view of vikings.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Well they clearly think that peace, love, and small kittens will break out if Russia wins. Well Russia won in 2014 and I didn't notice that happening then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

That's meant to be an anti Ukraine Post?

Quote from: Threviel on January 20, 2023, 06:58:31 AMI read somewhere that the Anglo-Saxons deemed the vikings effeminate and vain and they also had a habit of raping the monks as well as the nuns. So kind of the exact opposite of 19th century romantic view of vikings.

Not sure on the monk rape - I think they had views a bit like the Romans where being a bottom was shameful but raping a guy was kosher? I know a lot of Lokis weirdness comes from his being receptive a fair bit.
But for sure yeah, well known the vikings were dandies.
██████
██████
██████

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on January 20, 2023, 02:21:12 PMThat's meant to be an anti Ukraine Post?

The idea is that Ukraine is destroying the economy. By us helping them and I presume the economic disruption caused by them not immediately surrendering.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on January 20, 2023, 02:57:00 PM
Quote from: Josquius on January 20, 2023, 02:21:12 PMThat's meant to be an anti Ukraine Post?

The idea is that Ukraine is destroying the economy. By us helping them and I presume the economic disruption caused by them not immediately surrendering.

I guess it makes sense when you consider the mercantalist outlook on economics of the loony right.
Every win must have an equal loss et al.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Found in the wild. An exchange between two very stable geniuses.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

Even if we followed that crazy train, and Obama was Hitler's grandson...so what?  Why can't we ever get over this medieval idea that if person X is descended from Baddie Y, they are therefore automatically Baddie X.

Admiral Yi

This loon is trying to backdoor the "Ukraine is Nazi" argument.

Syt

I admit the "he was born in Jakarta" bit was new to me (AFAIK he spent some years there as a kid).
—Stephen Jay Gould