News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2023, 12:25:20 PMIt seems to me presuming the local people did not build the shit around them wasn't really a thing until colonialism. And sure once you start trying to figure out which lost tribe of Israel really did build the mounds in Ohio eventually you start thinking aliens gave ancient Mayans laser guns. Stupid ideas quickly take you down the rabbit hole.

But again that case it goes to people assuming ancient people were primitive. Disease killing 80+ percent of a population of a thriving civilization in Ohio and severely changes the sophistication of their society.  So you come cross a lower density stump "simple" population of people and think there no way they built that. Is it based on racism or a lack understanding of the past?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

The whole "aliens" thing is recent, since SF itself is fairly recent.  I don't think that thee is much of a correlation with race, since Stonehenge is another "alien" artifact.  It mostly seems to have to do with giant structures that seem to serve no well-recognized purpose.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

In the 19th century there were theories that the mound builders of North America were different than the Native Americans, that the people who built Great Zimbabwe were not Africans and that the Pyramids were not built by native Egyptians.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on January 05, 2023, 10:10:20 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 05, 2023, 07:40:00 AMThe Ancient Aliens thing is basically a racist dogwhistle.
Don't know.  It just seems crazy.  "See these ancient tracks that look like chariot tracks but are not the same as 19th century chariots?  They're actually landing tracks for spacecrafts"  Duh...

Did people in Quebec use chariots to get around in the 19th century? :huh:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on January 05, 2023, 02:33:02 PM
Quote from: viper37 on January 05, 2023, 10:10:20 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 05, 2023, 07:40:00 AMThe Ancient Aliens thing is basically a racist dogwhistle.
Don't know.  It just seems crazy.  "See these ancient tracks that look like chariot tracks but are not the same as 19th century chariots?  They're actually landing tracks for spacecrafts"  Duh...

Did people in Quebec use chariots to get around in the 19th century? :huh:
I guess it's the wrong word again.  Chariots refer only to the antiquity warfare mobile platform they use, I guess.

Carriage would be the word then?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on January 05, 2023, 02:32:14 PMIn the 19th century there were theories that the mound builders of North America were different than the Native Americans, that the people who built Great Zimbabwe were not Africans and that the Pyramids were not built by native Egyptians.

Big difference between "it must have been white people" and "it must have been aliens".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

I think the general rule is chariots have two wheels and carriages 4
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Jacob

A Hansom Cab doesn't seem that different from a chariot, to be honest:

Nor do the carts used in harness racing:

viper37

Quote from: HVC on January 05, 2023, 03:08:04 PMI think the general rule is chariots have two wheels and carriages 4
Just check to be sure, and carriage translates as chariot.  Duh, so yah, Raz, French Canadians did travel in chariots!  :blurgh:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on January 05, 2023, 03:11:42 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 05, 2023, 03:08:04 PMI think the general rule is chariots have two wheels and carriages 4
Just check to be sure, and carriage translates as chariot.  Duh, so yah, Raz, French Canadians did travel in chariots!  :blurgh:

Which is kind of funny because carriage comes from the French word charriage.  English stole the wrong word :D

Valmy

The main thing the British Empire looted from the rest of the world was vocabulary. English' insatiable appetite for more vocabulary words knows no bounds.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: HVC on January 05, 2023, 12:18:53 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 05, 2023, 12:07:11 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 05, 2023, 11:32:36 AMIt's a bit simplistic. I doubt most americans even know what an Egyptian looks like (modern or ancient).  It can be explains in many ways. For example. They know pyramids are big, and most people think the past is a lot more primitive then it is, so the answer is aliens.

I think in school they showed us the clearly not white painted images from egyptian tombs.

Yeah, but you were an edyptophile so paid attention because their god are cool :D

Besides,  all the cool stuff is in hot places. Early complex civilization started there, so that leads to an abundance of places to point to and go "aliens"!  white Europe has a stone circle. Woopty doo :P

My theory is that the Eiffel Tower was built by aliens.
How else can you explain why it stands out so much from the typical native architecture of the area, or why none of the modern descendants in the area have built anything comparable? Clearly it's of extraterrestrial origin. Possibly some sort of beacon to communicate with ships in orbit.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Larch

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on January 05, 2023, 03:30:40 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 05, 2023, 12:18:53 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 05, 2023, 12:07:11 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 05, 2023, 11:32:36 AMIt's a bit simplistic. I doubt most americans even know what an Egyptian looks like (modern or ancient).  It can be explains in many ways. For example. They know pyramids are big, and most people think the past is a lot more primitive then it is, so the answer is aliens.

I think in school they showed us the clearly not white painted images from egyptian tombs.

Yeah, but you were an edyptophile so paid attention because their god are cool :D

Besides,  all the cool stuff is in hot places. Early complex civilization started there, so that leads to an abundance of places to point to and go "aliens"!  white Europe has a stone circle. Woopty doo :P

My theory is that the Eiffel Tower was built by aliens.
How else can you explain why it stands out so much from the typical native architecture of the area, or why none of the modern descendants in the area have built anything comparable? Clearly it's of extraterrestrial origin. Possibly some sort of beacon to communicate with ships in orbit.

How do you explain the pictures of the Tower being built, then?  :P

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Larch on January 05, 2023, 03:33:29 PMHow do you explain the pictures of the Tower being built, then?  :P

That's proof it was aliens.  How else could they make entire segments appear instantaneously like that?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

Photos mean nothing. They have photos of the moon "landing" :contract: