News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gun control in the US: what can be done?

Started by viper37, December 06, 2015, 01:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: mongers on December 15, 2015, 08:46:57 PM
Cyprus in an interesting case, whilst the figure in the reuters piece seems similar to the wiki one, the related wiki article on gun control in Cyprus is largely un-verified and talks about strick gun control, which sets it against the Reuters item that represented Cyprus with a photo of two old timers standing beside two AK47s leaning against a house!  So I don't know what to believe about Cyprus.

Strict laws, but very lax enforcement, maybe?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 15, 2015, 06:53:49 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 15, 2015, 06:37:24 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 15, 2015, 06:27:53 PM
USA USA USA USA USA #1 :showoff:

I suspect places like Yemen or Iraq now have noticeably more guns than they did a few years ago.

Plus less people.  :(

Unlikely, with their birth rates.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Archy

Quote from: mongers on December 15, 2015, 08:46:57 PM
Quote from: dps on December 15, 2015, 08:37:20 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 15, 2015, 06:37:24 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 15, 2015, 06:27:53 PM
USA USA USA USA USA #1 :showoff:

Indeed, though I have a feeling the survey is out of date, I pulled it off a Reuters photo essay and I suspect places like Yemen or Iraq now have noticeably more guns than they did a few years ago.

According to Wikipedia, there are 112.6 guns per 100 people in the US.  That's almost twice the next highest rate (69.7 in Serbia). 

I don't know for sure, but I think Wikipedia is probably closer to correct here.  Intuitively, I'd guess that we have more guns than people in this country.

Yeah, I had a quick look at wiki afterwards and whilst there's variation in the numbers and the wiki figures might be more based on a 2007 survey, I think the most important point is the figures are only estimates in many cases, the Yemen could be noticably higher or indeed less than half the one given. Presumably the US figures are more reliable.

Cyprus in an interesting case, whilst the figure in the reuters piece seems similar to the wiki one, the related wiki article on gun control in Cyprus is largely un-verified and talks about strick gun control, which sets it against the Reuters item that represented Cyprus with a photo of two old timers standing beside two AK47s leaning against a house!  So I don't know what to believe about Cyprus.
All stolen illegal weapons from Akrotiri base old chap :bowler:

Brazen

The UK's gun laws need tightening up, apparently, including forbidding "possessing an article with the intention of using it unlawfully to convert an imitation firearm into a live one".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35104969

Ed Anger

I'm thinking of getting a front grip for my AR. GET IT? GUN CONTROL.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on December 16, 2015, 05:32:37 AM
The UK's gun laws need tightening up, apparently, including forbidding "possessing an article with the intention of using it unlawfully to convert an imitation firearm into a live one".

Intent is pretty hard to prove.

But it does seem like the UK goes pretty extreme in the other direction.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 16, 2015, 10:41:00 AM

You know, it's weird but some people just have a natural skill. I've practiced for years and taken all the classes and stuff. But my wife can start at nothing and get proficient on something in a day. It takes me weeks of practice to get as good as she is just starting out. And you know what? I took her sister out to shoot. Same thing. Their grandpa was a sniper in the war. Those girls have some genes I don't have and I'm envious.  :P

My dad flew planes in Vietnam and my vision is perfect. Maybe I should focus on that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Berkut

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 16, 2015, 11:02:48 AM

You know, it's weird but some people just have a natural skill. I've practiced for years and taken all the classes and stuff. But my wife can start at nothing and get proficient on something in a day. It takes me weeks of practice to get as good as she is just starting out. And you know what? I took her sister out to shoot. Same thing. Their grandpa was a sniper in the war. Those girls have some genes I don't have and I'm envious.  :P

My dad flew planes in Vietnam and my vision is perfect. Maybe I should focus on that.

It is always good to focus on where your natural proficiencies are strongest, but don't you think the Vietnamese might object?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

I don't really understand the point of a front grip if you're not able to fire full auto.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on December 16, 2015, 04:58:55 PM

I don't really understand the point of a front grip if you're not able to fire full auto.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Brazen on December 16, 2015, 05:32:37 AM

That was one of the plot points in Man in the High Castle. Guns made in the machine shop.

Eventually, we're going to have to face the prospect of people being able to simply make their own at home.

That's going to happen, and I have no idea how controlling that will have to go down. In the US, the feds do it based on the commerce clause, but that sort of thing would slip right under all the hurdles. I think Montana tried to pass a law legalizing everything manufactured there and not passing state lines, which creates a problem for the feds for similar reasons.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Siege on December 11, 2015, 02:06:48 PM
Every place in America with strong gun control laws is crime ridden, while every place in America with strong gun rights is crime free.

You liberal faggots don't want to see reality.
Don't let facts get in the way of your ideology.

:lmfao: I heard it on Rush Limbaugh, so it must be true.  Source: https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/tables/table-20/table_20_murder_by_state_types_of_weapons_2013.xls

I mean, I realize those numbers aren't coming from your local rock station's dedicated right-wing shock jockey, but still...

Hate to burst your bubble, Siegy, but in 2013, 2 of the top 5 states for murder via firearm were Texas and Georgia.  And frankly, when a state reports zero like Alabama, I question whether their rate is actually low, or they're just not reporting their cases.
Experience bij!

Brazen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 16, 2015, 08:52:05 PM

That was one of the plot points in Man in the High Castle. Guns made in the machine shop.

Eventually, we're going to have to face the prospect of people being able to simply make their own at home.

That's going to happen, and I have no idea how controlling that will have to go down. In the US, the feds do it based on the commerce clause, but that sort of thing would slip right under all the hurdles. I think Montana tried to pass a law legalizing everything manufactured there and not passing state lines, which creates a problem for the feds for similar reasons.
There's already been cases involving 3D printed plastic guns, and these would be covered under the new amendment.

My musket was made by someone in a workshop and is basically a metal tube on a plank and could easily kill someone, which is why I need a shotgun and black powder licence for it, which involved medical and professional references and a police home visit. Though it would probably be more efficient to beat them to death with it.