News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gun control in the US: what can be done?

Started by viper37, December 06, 2015, 01:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 11, 2015, 08:34:43 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 11, 2015, 08:30:01 PM
I wonder; how does the crime rate in these areas compare to before their tighter gun control laws?

You mean back where there was also less population?  :P
I'm assuming the crime rate used to be higher.
That there may have been less population  would only underline things. :p
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Happy Sandy Hook Day.

QuoteMore than 550 U.S. children have died from gunshots since Sandy Hook massacre

Three years later, the bullets continue to fly.
More than 550 children under the age of 12 have died from gunshots in the three years since the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, according to online data. That means a U.S. child dies in a firearm-related death every two days, on average.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/554-u-s-children-died-gunshots-sandy-hook-article-1.2465570

mongers

It must almost be embarrassing for an American to nearly be in the same league as the Swiss.

1: The United States has the highest number of guns per capita in the world, with 88.8 guns per 100 residents, according to the most recent small arms survey. REUTERS
2: Yemen has 54.8 guns per 100 residents.
3: Switzerland has 45.7 firearms per 100 ".
4: Finland has 45.3 firearms per 100 ".
5: Serbia has 37.8 firearms per 100 ".
6: Cyprus has 36.4 firearms per 100 ".
7: Saudi Arabia has 35.0 firearms per 100 ".
8: Iraq has 34.2 firearms per 100 ".
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on December 15, 2015, 06:27:53 PM
USA USA USA USA USA #1 :showoff:

Indeed, though I have a feeling the survey is out of date, I pulled it off a Reuters photo essay and I suspect places like Yemen or Iraq now have noticeably more guns than they did a few years ago.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on December 15, 2015, 06:21:56 PM
It must almost be embarrassing for an American to nearly be in the same league as the Swiss.

[Cruz] See the problem with gun violence isn't guns.  It's that our corporate taxes are too high [/Cruz]
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on December 15, 2015, 06:37:24 PM

I suspect places like Yemen or Iraq now have noticeably more guns than they did a few years ago.

Plus less people.  :(
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

We're Sick of the Swiss  :mad:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

grumbler

1: The United States has the highest number of guns per capita in the world, with 88.8 guns per 100 residents, according to the most recent small arms survey. REUTERS

You didn't look at your numbers, did you?  88.8 isn't nearly "in the same league" as 45.3.  It's almost twice as many.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Yeah but the Swiss have all those knives.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on December 15, 2015, 07:36:35 PM

You didn't look at your numbers, did you?  88.8 isn't nearly "in the same league" as 45.3.  It's almost twice as many.

It was a joke, that some picked up on.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Indeed, though I have a feeling the survey is out of date, I pulled it off a Reuters photo essay and I suspect places like Yemen or Iraq now have noticeably more guns than they did a few years ago.

According to Wikipedia, there are 112.6 guns per 100 people in the US.  That's almost twice the next highest rate (69.7 in Serbia). 

I don't know for sure, but I think Wikipedia is probably closer to correct here.  Intuitively, I'd guess that we have more guns than people in this country.

11B4V

Quote from: dps on December 15, 2015, 08:37:20 PM

According to Wikipedia, there are 112.6 guns per 100 people in the US.  That's almost twice the next highest rate (69.7 in Serbia). 

I don't know for sure, but I think Wikipedia is probably closer to correct here.  Intuitively, I'd guess that we have more guns than people in this country.

Yea, I haven't counted lately, but don't have just one.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: dps on December 15, 2015, 08:37:20 PM

Yeah, I had a quick look at wiki afterwards and whilst there's variation in the numbers and the wiki figures might be more based on a 2007 survey, I think the most important point is the figures are only estimates in many cases, the Yemen could be noticably higher or indeed less than half the one given. Presumably the US figures are more reliable.

Cyprus in an interesting case, whilst the figure in the reuters piece seems similar to the wiki one, the related wiki article on gun control in Cyprus is largely un-verified and talks about strick gun control, which sets it against the Reuters item that represented Cyprus with a photo of two old timers standing beside two AK47s leaning against a house!  So I don't know what to believe about Cyprus.