News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gun control in the US: what can be done?

Started by viper37, December 06, 2015, 01:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Quote from: PRC on December 08, 2015, 12:22:49 AM
Quote from: Scipio on December 07, 2015, 11:00:33 PM

I say, let's make it public so I can know who's a gunless twat who wants their house burglarized.

Seriously?  Is that the booze talking or "just being on the internet" talking?
I'm trying to match Raz's asshole level.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

11B4V

Quote from: Scipio on December 09, 2015, 10:24:07 PM
Quote from: PRC on December 08, 2015, 12:22:49 AM
Quote from: Scipio on December 07, 2015, 11:00:33 PM

I say, let's make it public so I can know who's a gunless twat who wants their house burglarized.

Seriously?  Is that the booze talking or "just being on the internet" talking?
I'm trying to match Raz's asshole level.

Oh he was serious?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

That public database idea. .... I wonder if there's amy in the nra actually pushing for it? It would perfectly fit what they want and force everyone to have a gun.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on December 09, 2015, 07:41:04 PM
I think the first step towards effective gun control is admitting that more guns = more deaths.  It may be that having lots of guns is a cultural choice, and that we're on the whole okay with more deaths, so that will also be the last step.  I can certainly respect that. Alcohol kills as well, including innocent victims just as guns do, but most people are fine with it being legal even without taking prohibition enforcement issues into account.

What I can't respect is the bottomless pit of sophistry and outright lying from the pro-gun lobby, that does its best to convince us that a society that is armed to the teeth is the safest society.  Fuck you, seriously.

This.

I know I come across as a gun control "nut", but the reality is that I am actually not. Well, not in the traditional sense, anyway.

What annoys me more than anything is the bullshit that the gun nuts spout regularly. They are like YECs. It doesn't matter what common sense or data says, all that matters is that guns are OSSUM as a matter of faith - faith in some demented version of the 2nd Amendment held up with a religious fervor that most American religious leaders only wish they could instill in their followers.

There is, as always, a similar amount of stupid on the GUNS ARE BAD ZOMG side. But the scale is an order of magnitude less.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on December 10, 2015, 12:12:01 AM
That public database idea. .... I wonder if there's amy in the nra actually pushing for it? It would perfectly fit what they want and force everyone to have a gun.

Oh course not.  They may spout the bullshit that a gun in the house dissuades a break-in, but they know full well it's bullshit.  Same reason they blocked the CDC from doing gun studies.  They know what the result will be, and it isn't that guns make you an safer.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

At any rate, here's a tip on how you can smuggle chocolate into a movie theater in the U.S.:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on December 10, 2015, 09:22:20 AM
I know I come across as a gun control "nut", but the reality is that I am actually not. Well, not in the traditional sense, anyway.

I think you can only be considered a gun control "nut" within the context of the current American discourse on the subject, if that.

derspiess

I keep being told that nobody wants to take my guns.  Guess I can rest easy now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

If you are tossing and turning at night concerned about someone taking your guns...well, actually, that would not surprise me.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on December 10, 2015, 03:56:32 PM
I keep being told that nobody wants to take my guns.  Guess I can rest easy now.

Oh. I thought you were being reassured that nobody is going to take them from you.

So what you're looking for is that nobody even desires to limit your gun-ownership, rather than merely preventing that limits are placed on owning guns?

Valmy

None of the Feds anyway. What Ohio might do is something different.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

I want to take away your guns.

:hug:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on December 10, 2015, 04:28:30 PM

I want to take away your guns.

:hug:

Gaons?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on December 10, 2015, 04:08:49 PM

Oh. I thought you were being reassured that nobody is going to take them from you.

So what you're looking for is that nobody even desires to limit your gun-ownership, rather than merely preventing that limits are placed on owning guns?

Well with all this gun control talk I could swear I've heard mentions of confiscation and whatnot.  Pretty sure I heard some anti-gun folks say the cops should be the only ones with guns.  But now to hear that nobody wants to take away my guns, I guess I can put all that to rest and put my full trust in gun control people.