News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gun control in the US: what can be done?

Started by viper37, December 06, 2015, 01:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Iormlund on December 08, 2015, 07:19:52 PM
Well it seems a great way to pinpoint which homes to hit if you are interested in using or selling weapons.

Skip tells me that won't be a problem.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Scipio on December 07, 2015, 11:00:33 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 07, 2015, 09:50:09 PM
Quote from: Scipio on December 07, 2015, 09:24:54 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 07, 2015, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: Scipio on December 07, 2015, 10:54:54 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 06, 2015, 09:37:17 PM
Force them to register the weapons with the government.  Make the database public like we have with sex offenders.
All non-classified government databases are public.

But the feds forcing registration of weapons would violate the 2d Amendment.

States can have gun registries, and many do.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." The militia is a creature of the states; they are the ones who regulate it. Not the feds. I could bore you with a copy of each state's militia statute, but I suggest you read United States v. Miller to understand how non-radical DC v. Heller was.

Here's a link, in case your Google broke: https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/307/174

How would that violate the 2nd amendment? :huh:

None of this says there can't be a federal database.  I did some looking myself, there already are databases that come from the Gun Control Act of 1968 but this information is not open to the public.  Lets make it all public, and let every one know if they are living next a gun fanatic who could be building an arsenal to murder his neighbors.
I say, let's make it public so I can know who's a gunless twat who wants their house burglarized.

Path of least resistance. Much less left to chance for the criminal.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Yeah, cause an empty home with a gun in it is that much more of a hassle to burglarize then an empty home without a gun.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on December 08, 2015, 10:13:40 PM
Yeah, cause an empty home with a gun in it is that much more of a hassle to burglarize then an empty home without a gun.

Indeed  :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on December 08, 2015, 10:13:40 PM

Which is why your public database will make it easier to steal guns.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

I think we can all agree that a public database of gun owners is dumb enough not to warrant much discussion around it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

mongers

Quote from: Berkut on December 09, 2015, 09:21:31 AM
I think we can all agree that a public database of gun owners is dumb enough not to warrant much discussion around it.

So it's 50/50% some legislature will vote for that?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Gun Rights people staging performance art fake massacre at UT to show that we need more guns:

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/gun-rights-groups-to-stage-mock-mass-shooting-at-u/npf38/

QuoteGun rights groups say they will conduct a mock mass shooting this weekend at the University of Texas campus as they try to end gun-free zones.

The Open Carry Walk and Crisis Performance Event will involve actors "shot" by perpetrators armed with cardboard weapons, said Matthew Short, a spokesman for the gun rights groups Come and Take It Texas and DontComply.com.

"It's a fake mass shooting, and we'll use fake blood," he said. He said gun noises will be blared from bullhorns. Other people will then play the role of rescuers, also armed with cardboard weapons.

He said the group was not seeking any sort of permit for the event from Austin or UT. University officials were not immediately available for comment, but in November, university President Gregory L. Fenves spoke in favor of a faculty resolution opposing campus-carry.

Gun rights advocates have argued that allowing people to bring their concealed weapon into campus facilities could promote safety.

"Criminals that want to do evil things and commit murder go places where people are not going to be able to stop them," Short said. "When seconds count, the cops are minutes away."

Asked if he was worried the demonstration, which will be preceded by a walk through Austin with loaded weapons might appear in bad taste following the mass shootings in San Bernardino and Paris, Short said: "Not at all. People were able to be murdered people because no one was armed."

People with a concealed handgun permit may carry their gun in some places on campus, such as sidewalks and parking lots. The new campus carry law, which goes into effect in August, will allow people with concealed weapons permits to carry their handguns into dorms, classrooms and other public university buildings, though universities may draft some campus-specific rules that may include limited gun-free zones.

UT history professor Joan Neuberger, who helps lead Gun Free UT, an organization supported by thousands of UT students and faculty that aims to keep guns out of the UT campus, said that putting on such an event is an act of intimidation.

"Staging a mass shooting during an anxious time for students — finals week — not only breaks rules but shows real disrespect for the feelings of students, faculty and staff who don't want to have guns around them in the first place, but will be forced to put up with guns in public places in 2016," Neuberger said.

Critics of the law have urged UT to take a highly restrictive approach, prompting the pushback from gun rights groups.

"We want criminals to fear the public being armed," Short said. "An armed society is a polite society."

"We love freedom and we're trying to make more freedom," he said.

So yeah...just in case anybody thought there was a consensus that lots of mass shootings meant we should not have so many guns. On the contrary: nobody will be shot when everybody has a gun.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2015, 04:31:16 PM
"We want criminals to fear the public being armed," Short said. "An armed society is a polite society."

He's got a point.  An armed society stopped that guy from texting during a movie.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on December 08, 2015, 03:36:05 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2015, 03:26:39 PM
The Supreme Court's history is replete with examples of fucking state law in the ass: Civil Rights, abortion, capital punishment.

Sometimes state law deserves it.

Federal law is the supreme law of the land . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on December 09, 2015, 09:21:31 AM

No we don't.  Skip and I thought it was fine.

DGuller

I think the first step towards effective gun control is admitting that more guns = more deaths.  It may be that having lots of guns is a cultural choice, and that we're on the whole okay with more deaths, so that will also be the last step.  I can certainly respect that. Alcohol kills as well, including innocent victims just as guns do, but most people are fine with it being legal even without taking prohibition enforcement issues into account.

What I can't respect is the bottomless pit of sophistry and outright lying from the pro-gun lobby, that does its best to convince us that a society that is armed to the teeth is the safest society.  Fuck you, seriously.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on December 09, 2015, 07:41:04 PM
I think the first step towards effective gun control is admitting that more guns = more deaths.  It may be that having lots of guns is a cultural choice, and that we're on the whole okay with more deaths, so that will also be the last step.  I can certainly respect that. Alcohol kills as well, including innocent victims just as guns do, but most people are fine with it being legal even without taking prohibition enforcement issues into account.

What I can't respect is the bottomless pit of sophistry and outright lying from the pro-gun lobby, that does its best to convince us that a society that is armed to the teeth is the safest society.  Fuck you, seriously.

Yeah that's pretty much right. I mean it's a risk. We let stupid people vote. Trump might be president. That's the risk and we have to accept it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers