News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gun control in the US: what can be done?

Started by viper37, December 06, 2015, 01:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Quote from: Razgovory on December 06, 2015, 09:37:17 PM
Force them to register the weapons with the government.  Make the database public like we have with sex offenders.
All non-classified government databases are public.

But the feds forcing registration of weapons would violate the 2d Amendment.

States can have gun registries, and many do.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

viper37

Force them to register the weapons with the government.  Make the database public like we have with sex offenders.
isn't that against the Constitution and its current interpretation?

Also, can a Supreme Court judgement on the Constitution can be reversed after some years, or is stuck in time for the next 200 years?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

My understanding is that under current interpretation of law the Feds can do very little. Which puzzles me why the conservatives freak out about Obama and all his gun control schemes. I am not aware of any gun control schemes and even if he did have some surely they would have to be actual laws passed in Congress, not Executive Orders.

But the gun issue has zero to do with anything other than driving partisan donations. Both party's partisan hacks are going nuts about it. I guess eventually blue states will have very strict gun laws and red states will be Mad Max with all the hysteria going on. Should be fun.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Scipio on December 07, 2015, 10:54:54 AM

How would that violate the 2nd amendment? :huh:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

frunk

Quote from: Razgovory on December 07, 2015, 11:15:48 AM

They key to a well regulated militia is the lack of regulation.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Valmy on December 07, 2015, 11:09:39 AM
My understanding is that under current interpretation of law the Feds can do very little. Which puzzles me why the conservatives freak out about Obama and all his gun control schemes. I am not aware of any gun control schemes and even if he did have some surely they would have to be actual laws passed in Congress, not Executive Orders.

But the gun issue has zero to do with anything other than driving partisan donations. Both party's partisan hacks are going nuts about it. I guess eventually blue states will have very strict gun laws and red states will be Mad Max with all the hysteria going on. Should be fun.

Can I have big metal spikes on my truck?!  :w00t:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 07, 2015, 11:34:30 AM

Of course. With a giant Confederate Flag.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

lustindarkness

Quote from: Valmy on December 07, 2015, 11:37:46 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on December 07, 2015, 11:34:30 AM

Of course. With a giant Confederate Flag.

You ruined it, It will be hard enough to see with my blood bag chained to the front of the truck already, now you want me to add a giant flag? Can it be a small one at least?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on December 07, 2015, 11:09:39 AM

once Pennsylvania realizes its mass shootings comes from deranged Virginia citizens that have easy access to weapons, will they build a fence to protect themselves?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on December 07, 2015, 02:06:00 PM
once Pennsylvania realizes its mass shootings comes from deranged Virginia citizens that have easy access to weapons, will they build a fence to protect themselves?

As far as I know shooters have not crossed state lines yet. More likely shooters in Pennsylvania will be buying them in Virginia or whatever.

Josquius

Mass shooters aren't crossing state lines. But aren't most of the regular criminals in DC using  guns from elsewhere? 

Would be interesting to see if gun control works better in a decent sized state rather than just a city.  Hate the way gun nuts completely fail to see logic and use gun crime in cities as proof gun control doesn't work :rolleyes:
██████
██████
██████

dps

No idea, and I tend to be more in favor of gun rights than most people here.

Scipio

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." The militia is a creature of the states; they are the ones who regulate it. Not the feds. I could bore you with a copy of each state's militia statute, but I suggest you read United States v. Miller to understand how non-radical DC v. Heller was.

Here's a link, in case your Google broke: https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/307/174

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Razgovory

Quote from: Scipio on December 07, 2015, 09:24:54 PM

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." The militia is a creature of the states; they are the ones who regulate it. Not the feds. I could bore you with a copy of each state's militia statute, but I suggest you read United States v. Miller to understand how non-radical DC v. Heller was.

Here's a link, in case your Google broke: https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/307/174

None of this says there can't be a federal database.  I did some looking myself, there already are databases that come from the Gun Control Act of 1968 but this information is not open to the public.  Lets make it all public, and let every one know if they are living next a gun fanatic who could be building an arsenal to murder his neighbors.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

I don't see why the public needs to know how many guns their neighbors own.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?