News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gun control in the US: what can be done?

Started by viper37, December 06, 2015, 01:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on December 11, 2015, 01:09:32 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 10, 2015, 04:08:49 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 10, 2015, 03:56:32 PM
I keep being told that nobody wants to take my guns.  Guess I can rest easy now.

Oh. I thought you were being reassured that nobody is going to take them from you.

So what you're looking for is that nobody even desires to limit your gun-ownership, rather than merely preventing that limits are placed on owning guns?

Well with all this gun control talk I could swear I've heard mentions of confiscation and whatnot.  Pretty sure I heard some anti-gun folks say the cops should be the only ones with guns.  But now to hear that nobody wants to take away my guns, I guess I can put all that to rest and put my full trust in gun control people.

Phew, glad you dodged that giant, hulking strawman as it bestrode the intellectual landscape.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Well with all this gun control talk I could swear I've heard mentions of confiscation and whatnot.  Pretty sure I heard some anti-gun folks say the cops should be the only ones with guns.  But now to hear that nobody wants to take away my guns, I guess I can put all that to rest and put my full trust in gun control people.

With that level of psychological fragility, I can understand why you "cling" to your guns.   ;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

I have heard people say they want to nuke the Middle East so I guess everybody should spend all their time worrying about the imminent nuclear winter as well? Come on man don't be a nutcase.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on December 10, 2015, 04:08:49 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 10, 2015, 03:56:32 PM
I keep being told that nobody wants to take my guns.  Guess I can rest easy now.

Oh. I thought you were being reassured that nobody is going to take them from you.

So what you're looking for is that nobody even desires to limit your gun-ownership, rather than merely preventing that limits are placed on owning guns?

I want to take away your guns.
Cops shouldn't have guns.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Siege

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 06, 2015, 04:21:09 PM
Either amend the Constitution or require a person submit to psychological testing prior to purchase.
Why?
If the government wants to maintain a list of crazy people who cannot buy guns, that's their problem.
But i ain't going to submit to no test. Hell no.

Besides, what is there to stop the government from adding dissidents, like tea partiers, to the crazy people list?
Hell no.
Uncuntstitutional.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Every place in America with strong gun control laws is crime ridden, while every place in America with strong gun rights is crime free.

You liberal faggots don't want to see reality.
Don't let facts get in the way of your ideology.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

viper37

Quote from: Siege on December 11, 2015, 02:06:48 PM
Every place in America with strong gun control laws is crime ridden, while every place in America with strong gun rights is crime free.
Give me the evolution of crime over 50 years in all US states, and correlate that info with the time less/more restrictive gun laws happenned.
I'm guessing it didn't make much of a difference.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Do you want to provide the facts? I was not aware we had that many places with no crime at all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on December 11, 2015, 02:02:52 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 06, 2015, 04:21:09 PM
Either amend the Constitution or require a person submit to psychological testing prior to purchase.
Why?
If the government wants to maintain a list of crazy people who cannot buy guns, that's their problem.
But i ain't going to submit to no test. Hell no.

Besides, what is there to stop the government from adding dissidents, like tea partiers, to the crazy people list?
Hell no.
Uncuntstitutional.

I think Yi was saying what was possible under the law dude. Chill.

My whole point is there is not a whole lot the Feds can do that would hold up in court.

Razgovory

Try Hawaii.  Hawaii is a good example because you can't just jump the state border to buy a gun in another state.  It has a strict gun laws and low gun crime rate.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

lustindarkness

Quote from: Valmy on December 11, 2015, 01:32:54 PM

I have heard people say they want to nuke the Middle East so I guess everybody should spend all their time worrying about the imminent nuclear winter as well? Come on man don't be a nutcase.

Thank you for considering me people. :hug:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Siege on December 11, 2015, 02:02:52 PM
Why?

So that crazy people can't shoot up theaters and schools.

QuoteBesides, what is there to stop the government from adding dissidents, like tea partiers, to the crazy people list?

Elections.  Rule of law.  Court review.  All the things that stop the government right now from doing anything they want.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on December 11, 2015, 01:09:32 PMWell with all this gun control talk I could swear I've heard mentions of confiscation and whatnot.  Pretty sure I heard some anti-gun folks say the cops should be the only ones with guns.  But now to hear that nobody wants to take away my guns, I guess I can put all that to rest and put my full trust in gun control people.

I guess I failed to make my point clearly enough, which was that plenty of people want to take away your guns. However, they're not going to take away your guns, however much they want to.

Your requirement for resting easy that no one wants to take away your guns is a pretty high bar to meet. So it follows that you will never rest easy :console:

Josquius

There's more to crime rates than gun laws. Population density tends to be a biggy.
I wonder; how does the crime rate in these areas compare to before their tighter gun control laws? :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tyr on December 11, 2015, 08:30:01 PM
I wonder; how does the crime rate in these areas compare to before their tighter gun control laws?

You mean back where there was also less population?  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers