News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass shooting in San Bernadino

Started by Syt, December 02, 2015, 02:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

There is no reason for the average civilian knob to own, for self-defense, target practice a semi automatic handgun, rifle, carbine, or shotgun.

I can defend myself just as easily with a s&w model 19 as I can my glock 20. My double barrel 12 games opposed to a benelli sa shotgun.

And I don't realistically need an assault rifle for home defense, shooting a fmj bullet at 2700-3200 feet per second that will go through multiple walls of my house.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

What a buzzkill. You don't get a Chritmas card.  :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 05, 2015, 08:33:25 PM
I have no problem with gun ownership, even for the semi-auto rifles.

But I think there is nothing wrong at all with regulation requiring permits and registration for any/all types of firearms.  Nothing against the 2nd amendment in taking that step...hell, it even says that "militia" (which gun nuts would say is also "the people") should be "well regulated".  Of course, the gun-rights lobby are against even that.

I interpret that as meaning the National Guard
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tonitrus

Quote from: 11B4V on December 05, 2015, 09:00:59 PM

But I think there is nothing wrong at all with regulation requiring permits and registration for any/all types of firearms.  Nothing against the 2nd amendment in taking that step...hell, it even says that "militia" (which gun nuts would say is also "the people") should be "well regulated".  Of course, the gun-rights lobby are against even that.

In todays context sure.

I imagine that in the parlance of the time, those two clauses referred to the militia that the state would call up (to kill British, natives, Canadians, etc...), and the fact that the state wasn't going to be responsible for supplying their muskets, so they had to let everyone own them.

Gun ownership nowadays is mostly just our tradition.  But as I said, I am all for letting people own whatever gun they want, even it means shooting AK-47s at a range.  But I think it's just as fine to make you get a license, background check, gun safety knowledge test, colonoscopy, etc.

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 05, 2015, 09:00:36 PM

After your Kursk crack, you are not welcome at this year's Waffen SS Christmas pot lock. :P

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on December 05, 2015, 09:20:32 PM

After your Kursk, crack you are not welcome at this year's Waffen SS Christmas pot lock. :P

:cry:

Ed Anger

After seeing the video of the terrorist throat slashing in London today, I'm reminded of this:

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 05, 2015, 09:21:08 PM

After your Kursk, crack you are not welcome at this year's Waffen SS Christmas pot lock. :P

Gott mit uns

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on December 05, 2015, 09:32:38 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 05, 2015, 09:21:08 PM

Gott mit uns

Hitler likes my potato salad.

11B4V

Tonitrus

Ed Anger

Siege

Quote from: Malthus on December 03, 2015, 05:31:45 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 03, 2015, 05:13:02 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 03, 2015, 05:10:13 PM
The axis of ... ?  ;)

I'm not sure what you're trying to say...

I can't think of three posters who normally have less in common.  :D

You wrong.
We have a lot in common.
I am a foreigner, Marti likes foreigners, and Derspiess is married to a foreigner.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

What the hell?
11B4V wants to take our guns?
What kind of infantryman are you?

I am starting to suspect you are a pog trying to pass for a grunt.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

dps

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 05, 2015, 09:14:20 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 05, 2015, 09:00:59 PM

In todays context sure.

I imagine that in the parlance of the time, those two clauses referred to the militia that the state would call up (to kill British, natives, Canadians, etc...), and the fact that the state wasn't going to be responsible for supplying their muskets, so they had to let everyone own them.

Gun ownership nowadays is mostly just our tradition.  But as I said, I am all for letting people own whatever gun they want, even it means shooting AK-47s at a range.  But I think it's just as fine to make you get a license, background check, gun safety knowledge test, colonoscopy, etc.

I'm in general agreement with this.  I have no problem with requiring all firearms to be registered, or with background checks, etc.