News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass shooting in San Bernadino

Started by Syt, December 02, 2015, 02:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

The big hurdle is how to collect the guns that are out there on the street depending on the strictest of the laws passed. It's easy write something to ban certain guns, implementation is the hard part.

I believe any rifle, carbine, shotgun, etc based on an automatic or semi automatic action should be banned. That takes care of magazine capacity too.

Semi automatic/automatic hand guns, machine pistols, etc. should be banned as well. Again takes care of the mag capacity as well.

No grandfathered or exemptions whatsoever.

This is what I think should happen. How many guns, that fit the above, are out on the street? Tens of millions.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

Quote from: 11B4V on December 05, 2015, 07:21:19 PM
The big hurdle is how to collect the guns that are out there on the street depending on the strictest of the laws passed. It's easy write something to ban certain guns, implementation is the hard part.

I believe any rifle, carbine, shotgun, etc based on an automatic or semi automatic action should be banned. That takes care of magazine capacity too.

Semi automatic hand guns should be banned as well. Again takes care of the mag capacity as well.

This is what I think should happen. How many guns that, fit the above, are out on the street? Tens of millions.

I don't really agree with you in regards to what should be banned.

But I think the key to actually coming up with a practical method for reducing the guns out there is to start with a long term plan. There is no possible short term solution to reducing the availability of guns.

But there is a generational plan that could work.

Start by grandfathering in all existing guns in private hands.

Next, start taxing the holy shit out of new gun sales. Say, 100% tax.

Cripple the gun manufacturing industry in its current fashion where they are just flooding the market with guns.

Next, use that tax revenue to start buying guns from private individuals, and destroying them. Hell, we spend trillions on fighting wars, we could spend a few billions on buying up some of the 200 million guns we have.

At the same time, start up a media campaign to counter the "ZOMG GUNS ARE SO COOL!" attitude that pervades American society. This is probably not a direct government thing.

In a generation or so, I think we could change the gun crazy culture in America.

And you likely don't really have to "ban" much of anything.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on December 05, 2015, 06:52:47 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 05, 2015, 06:51:26 PM
Wait a minute, I can shoot children with my conceal carry permit? WHY WASN'T I TOLD EARLIER OF THIS?

All those wasted years of having to tolerate snot nosed brats.  :(
Ha priceless  :lol:

I wonder what my security clearance allows me to do.  :hmm:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on December 05, 2015, 07:34:57 PM

Semi automatic hand guns should be banned as well. Again takes care of the mag capacity as well.

This is what I think should happen. How many guns that, fit the above, are out on the street? Tens of millions.

I don't really agree with you in regards to what should be banned.

But I think the key to actually coming up with a practical method for reducing the guns out there is to start with a long term plan. There is no possible short term solution to reducing the availability of guns.

But there is a generational plan that could work.

Start by grandfathering in all existing guns in private hands.

Next, start taxing the holy shit out of new gun sales. Say, 100% tax.

Cripple the gun manufacturing industry in its current fashion where they are just flooding the market with guns.

Next, use that tax revenue to start buying guns from private individuals, and destroying them. Hell, we spend trillions on fighting wars, we could spend a few billions on buying up some of the 200 million guns we have.

At the same time, start up a media campaign to counter the "ZOMG GUNS ARE SO COOL!" attitude that pervades American society. This is probably not a direct government thing.

In a generation or so, I think we could change the gun crazy culture in America.

And you likely don't really have to "ban" much of anything.

Workable start IMO.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on December 05, 2015, 06:48:46 PM
We have laws and standards that allow clearly deranged people to carry concealed guns and shoot children because the NRA has spent decades fighting and demanding that they be allowed to do so - that in fact any attempt to restrict it in any way at all is reasonable grounds for hysteria.

This I was completely unaware of.  Is it just some states that allow clearly deranged people to get concealed carry permits or all of them?

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2015, 07:41:32 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 05, 2015, 06:48:46 PM
We have laws and standards that allow clearly deranged people to carry concealed guns and shoot children because the NRA has spent decades fighting and demanding that they be allowed to do so - that in fact any attempt to restrict it in any way at all is reasonable grounds for hysteria.

This I was completely unaware of.  Is it just some states that allow clearly deranged people to get concealed carry permits or all of them?

Of course you are aware of it. You would have to be living under a rock to be unaware of the lengths the gun lobby has gone to in the US to scuttle any attempt to control access to guns.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on December 05, 2015, 07:44:13 PM
Of course you are aware of it. You would have to be living under a rock to be unaware of the lengths the gun lobby has gone to in the US to scuttle any attempt to control access to guns.

I was well aware of the lengths the gun lobby has gone to to etc. etc.  What I was totally unaware of was the current laws that allow clearly deranged people to get concealed carry permits. 

mongers

Semi automatic/automatic hand guns, machine pistols, etc. should be banned as well. Again takes care of the mag capacity as well.

This is what I think should happen. How many guns, that fit the above, are out on the street? Tens of millions.

Interesting 11B4V.

By on the streets do you mean out just the total number of guns or does it refer to illegally held guns?

In the US there's what 200+ million* legally held firearms, won't the majority be semi-automatic/automatic given the recent decades of consumerisation of weapons? So couldn't it be as high as 100-150 million ??

I don't see it happening, anything that takes a category of firearms that covers a million plus particular weapons, is going to cause such a special interest political shit storm that the legislation won't get passed.

On a side issue, is it possible for Americans in some states to own M2s, Miniguns (XM-whatever) ? 

I'd anything containing a principally explosive warhead, even something from a M79 would be illegal 

* figure plucked out of the air.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Quote from: mongers on December 05, 2015, 07:50:49 PM

Interesting 11B4V.

By on the streets do you mean out just the total number of guns or does it refer to illegally held guns?

In the US there's what 200+ million* legally held firearms, won't the majority be semi-automatic/automatic given the recent decades of consumerisation of weapons? So couldn't it be as high as 100-150 million ??

I don't see it happening, anything that takes a category of firearms that covers a million plus particular weapons, is going to cause such a special interest political shit storm that the legislation won't get passed.

On a side issue, is it possible for Americans in some states to own M2s, Miniguns (XM-whatever) ? 

I'd anything containing a principally explosive warhead, even something from a M79 would be illegal 

No explosive warheads. No full auto without a federal licence.

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 05, 2015, 08:01:47 PM

Interesting 11B4V.

Thanks.

You see demo videos on the web and it's not clear if that guy firing a 50cal is doing something special or not.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Quote from: mongers on December 05, 2015, 08:05:47 PM

Interesting 11B4V.

Thanks.

You see demo videos on the web and it's not clear if that guy firing a 50cal is doing something special or not.

The firearms dealer has a licence, and as long as they are there in possession of the weapon, they can let others shoot it on full auto. Like at Knobs Creek. Look up that for fun.

You can buy semi auto .30 and .50 cal machine guns. Not that thrilling, FYI.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on December 05, 2015, 07:34:57 PM

Ah, a good old propaganda campaign.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

I have no problem with gun ownership, even for the semi-auto rifles.

But I think there is nothing wrong at all with regulation requiring permits and registration for any/all types of firearms.  Nothing against the 2nd amendment in taking that step...hell, it even says that "militia" (which gun nuts would say is also "the people") should be "well regulated".  Of course, the gun-rights lobby are against even that.

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 05, 2015, 08:10:29 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 05, 2015, 08:05:47 PM

Interesting 11B4V.

Thanks.

The firearms dealer has a licence, and as long as they are there in possession of the weapon, they can let others shoot it on full auto. Like at Knobs Creek. Look up that for fun.

You can buy semi auto .30 and .50 cal machine guns. Not that thrilling, FYI.

No automatic guns whatsoever. No reason for them in the context we are talking.

Ed Anger

well just ruin Knob Creek for me then, meanie.  :blurgh: