And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass shooting in San Bernadino

Started by Syt, December 02, 2015, 02:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 04, 2015, 10:40:05 AM
That number includes suicides tho.

Oh, well, I guess they aren't really dead then.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2015, 11:11:33 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2015, 10:44:34 AM
Hey a comfortably middle class guy in the First World becomes a radical fundy and commits acts of terrorism. I thought these guys were supposed to be forced into this because of their bleak economic realities?

No, global warming is causing the terrorism.

Without it it would be too cold in San Bernardino to think about Salafism.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Hey a comfortably middle class guy in the First World becomes a radical fundy and commits acts of terrorism. I thought these guys were supposed to be forced into this because of their bleak economic realities?

No the Saudis that bombed the towers were doing OK
The more typical pattern IIRC is someone able to find some decent employment but not what they had expected based on their education and background, or ambition.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

There is a pretty good correlation between warming surface temperatures and the rise of radical Islamic terrorism.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on December 04, 2015, 10:36:26 AM
But no matter. We must protect our RAHTS! The ones we invented a couple decades ago.

7 years ago to be exact.

QuoteI don't think that is entirely true. There are plenty of laws restricting gun sales and capabilities that are perfectly Constitutional.

Correct.  So far most regs that have been challenged under Heller have been upheld.

--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 04, 2015, 11:16:08 AM

There is a pretty good correlation between warming surface temperatures and the rise of radical Islamic terrorism.

There is no question that economic and political upheaval directly leads to the empowerment of radical ideologies. The historic examples of everywhere.

The death toll from global warming is going to be in the tens of millions, completely outside the actual physical effects.

0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 04, 2015, 11:15:20 AM

No the Saudis that bombed the towers were doing OK
The more typical pattern IIRC is someone able to find some decent employment but not what they had expected based on their education and background, or ambition.
:secret:  He was mocking the "bleak economic realities" rationalization.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

It's the decline of pirates with parrots that's doing it.  That's been scientifically proven.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on December 04, 2015, 11:22:21 AM
It's the decline of pirates with parrots that's doing it.  That's been scientifically proven.

I don't think there is real scientific consensus on that yet. It is a strong theory though.

0 rows returned

derspiess

There we go! 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2015, 10:43:46 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 04, 2015, 10:40:05 AM
That number includes suicides tho.

Are those not dead people? Or are you trying to suggest that said people would kill themselves even if they didn't have a gun?

A number of them, yes. Not all of course. I think there's data outthere that proves that more people survive a suicidal pass when access to guns is harder.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Or are you trying to suggest that said people would kill themselves even if they didn't have a gun?

Don't know about Grey Fox, but I will assert that.  I do not see the evidence that the availability of a gun increases the likelihood of someone acting on their suicidal ideations by a statistically significant degree.  It may well increase the likelihood of success, but that is a somewhat different moral debate.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Berkut on December 04, 2015, 11:11:36 AM

I do not consider dead by your own hand violence, so I think including suicides in violence numbers is intellectually dishonest.

Berkut

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on December 04, 2015, 12:31:07 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 04, 2015, 11:11:36 AM

I do not consider dead by your own hand violence, so I think including suicides in violence numbers is intellectually dishonest.

I think drawing such a distinction is ludicrous.

Self inflicted violence is still violence, and whatever word you want to use to describe humans beings going from alive to dead through the use of a tool designed to thrown small pieces of metal at high rates of speed into human bodies, it doesn't really change the message in the least.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on December 04, 2015, 12:29:03 PM
Or are you trying to suggest that said people would kill themselves even if they didn't have a gun?

Don't know about Grey Fox, but I will assert that.  I do not see the evidence that the availability of a gun increases the likelihood of someone acting on their suicidal ideations by a statistically significant degree.  It may well increase the likelihood of success, but that is a somewhat different moral debate.

Yeah, it is surely crazy talk to imagine that access to a tool which humans have specifically designed to efficiently kill humans would have a profound impact on the ability to humans to actually kill humans, whether they be themselves or others.

0 rows returned