News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass shooting in San Bernadino

Started by Syt, December 02, 2015, 02:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Oh, I forgot about the pipe bombs.  I'd put that in the Islamic terrorism corner.  Maybe he and his gal were planning something but got so pissed about the party that he aborted the larger plan and just went to kill his coworkers.  It's just the action doesn't seem like Islamic terrorism, since they almost always intend to die at the site, not escape.  Maybe he just didn't get the memo.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: viper37 on December 03, 2015, 12:34:40 AM

If you look at this forum, people who don't like Muslims like Grallon or CrazyIvan all come from big cities and frequently have to meet/deal with immigrants.

tsk tsk. I don't like islam, the religion/ideology. I have no quarrel with individuals unless they decide to engage in a quarrel.
Just saying

Tonitrus

Quote from: Jaron on December 03, 2015, 01:53:05 AM
Let's say terrorism, fine, but is it Islamic terrorism?

It just doesn't feel that way. Even if this dude got brain washed and wanted to do him some Islam, why would he choose that location of all places?

If they wanted to make a suicidal splash, Los Angeles isn't too far away. Could have lit up down town or something.

The problem is, as the CdM says, Muslims can crack too and do some violence and it can be random and terrible and awful and have nothing to do with Islam.

The fact that ISIS tweeted something about being proud of the 3 shooters when there was actually two points to me that at least the relationship wasn't two sided. Maybe they did idolize ISIS and their work but it doesn't seem like they were part of the organization.

My completely amateur, arm-chair quarterbacking, baseless theory is that this was probably a dude who started getting caught up in Islamic fundamentalism (along with his babe), started stockpiling the assault gear with the idea that he might do something at some point...then got into a argument with coworkers at that party about Syria/Islam/radicalism/whatever and decided to go home and get his guns and his woman and do his micro-aggression-terrorism on his office party.

Jaron

Also, please correct the thread title.

Its San Bernardino, not Bernadino.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 03, 2015, 03:41:53 AM
My completely amateur, arm-chair quarterbacking, baseless theory is that this was probably a dude who started getting caught up in Islamic fundamentalism (along with his babe), started stockpiling the assault gear with the idea that he might do something at some point...then got into a argument with coworkers at that party about Syria/Islam/radicalism/whatever and decided to go home and get his guns and his woman and do his micro-aggression-terrorism on his office party.

I like this.

Wonder how the Christmas party angle is going to play.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jaron on December 03, 2015, 03:42:13 AM

Bernadino sounds much better.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Caliga on December 02, 2015, 10:17:22 PM
The problem in this country is that we have too few people who are exposed to immigrants from Muslim regions...

and then there's Molenbeek... ;)

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 03, 2015, 03:47:33 AM

I like this.

Wonder how the Christmas party angle is going to play.

Yes, I was speculating along these lines too.

I mean to say, even in 'murica one doesn't normally have body-armour, AK-47s and a supply of bombs to hand when one falls out with colleagues  :hmm:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 03, 2015, 03:48:42 AM
Quote from: Jaron on December 03, 2015, 03:42:13 AM

Bernadino sounds much better.

Agreed
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Quote from: Jaron on December 03, 2015, 01:53:05 AM
Let's say terrorism, fine, but is it Islamic terrorism?

It just doesn't feel that way. Even if this dude got brain washed and wanted to do him some Islam, why would he choose that location of all places?

If they wanted to make a suicidal splash, Los Angeles isn't too far away. Could have lit up down town or something.

The problem is, as the CdM says, Muslims can crack too and do some violence and it can be random and terrible and awful and have nothing to do with Islam.

The fact that ISIS tweeted something about being proud of the 3 shooters when there was actually two points to me that at least the relationship wasn't two sided. Maybe they did idolize ISIS and their work but it doesn't seem like they were part of the organization.

Why do you suppose they limited the attack to the co workers only ? They had a building full of people they could mow down. Police get there too quick?

They didn't try to shoot anyone on the street. It seems very much a targeted response. It seems like they had opportunities to harm others but they didn't.

I may be proven wrong in the next few days, but this just doesn't feel like an Islamic attack.

jimmy olsen

There was a SWAT team training nearby IIRC.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

I need more than an 'IIRC' from Tim on this one.

Admiral Yi

He only spent one month in Saudi and only grew his beard for one month.  So his Muslim super powers hadn't fully developed.

Duque de Bragança

Thankfully! One could only imagine what would have happened, had he done so.