Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: katmai on December 03, 2015, 12:22:35 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 03, 2015, 12:19:07 AM
Quote from: katmai on December 03, 2015, 12:16:14 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 02, 2015, 11:56:36 PM
Ok now it is looking like Islamism.

It is?
And 11B's name has been reported as hoax? Shows shouldn't listen to fox news reporters.

:huh:
The name you posted has been retracted from what I read. Saying whomever reported it (was cited as a fox news reporter to break the name) wasn't doing their job to vet before posting it.

Correct.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jaron

Quote from: Razgovory on December 03, 2015, 12:26:05 AM
Nah, it's real.  CNN is reporting that he stormed out a holiday party and came back shooting.  Maybe it's an Islam thing maybe it's just a crazy asshole thing.  Honestly, I still think it's a crazy asshole thing.  It sounds like he was getting back at coworkers.  You can be a Muslim and kill people for reasons not related to Jihad on the West.  There's always some crazy jerk who doesn't realize that the proper response to insults is not to ball them up until you go crazy, but to productively punch a person in the parking lot.

That would make sense if he acted alone. It's odd that he wanted to go postal on his work place and had friends happy to go along for the ride.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

11B4V

Nah, it's real.  CNN is reporting that he stormed out a holiday party and came back shooting.

That doesn't go along with events. It wasn't a lone gunman. 2-3 heavily armed shooters.

Witnesses are still saying 3, but only two dead.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on December 02, 2015, 10:17:22 PM
quite frankly I find sickening and totally un-American.
And yet, a near majority of your co-citizens appear ready to vote for these guys.  And Trump is more popular than ever with his Muslim registry sillyness.

I think there's something more american than we all realize about this.

The problem in this country is that we have too few people who are exposed to immigrants from Muslim regions... or probably more accurately any immigrants at all...
It's easy to think this behavior as typical from hillbillies like me, or "provincials" as Grallon would say, coming from very small villages (in my case, less than 2000 souls for where I live precisely), it's totally silly and can not be correlated with facts.

If I look at my circle of friends, the most racists ones are from Montreal.   They don't like blacks and they think all arabs are ISIS types.

If you look at this forum, people who don't like Muslims like Grallon or CrazyIvan all come from big cities and frequently have to meet/deal with immigrants.

Generally speaking, when you try to adress the issue, the racist types will tell you "you don't understand because you're not exposed to immigration like we are".  And then will come along people thinking like you telling the racists they are as such because they live outside the big cities and don't see enough immigrants.  So, I don't think it's related to the proximity of immigration or even the type of immigration.

And even if it was exposure to immigration, there's not much to do about it.  If we talk rich immigrants, they come to our countries for a good paying job, which happens to usually be in a big city.  If we talk poor immigrants or refugees, then there is the issue of giving them a chance to integrate to their communities, and only bigger cities can afford such services, plus, since they are poor, they can't be asked to buy a car for each member of the family that will work, so settling them in a city where they can walk or use public transit systems to work and shop groceries is easier.

The Quebec government tried settling immigrants in more remote areas for a time, but the idea was more or less abandonned.  It was way too difficult to help these people get around and familiarize themselves with a new landscapes.  And it's a lot more difficult to find teachers who speak arabic/spanish/portuguese to teach these people French or help them in school when they have difficulties understanding the language.

So, there ya go.  As much as it could be nice to settle immigrants all accross our countries, that's not really practical, for us and for them. 

Quoteand so it's easy to imagine all are bad and intend to do harm,
while this is a silly idea, and rejecting immigration is silly, one still needs to be careful and not go overboard with all security measures to achieve mass immigration in a very short lapse of time when you wish to evacuate people from a war zone.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

katmai

Quote from: viper37 on December 03, 2015, 12:34:40 AM
And yet, a near majority of your co-citizens appear ready to vote for these guys.  And Trump is more popular than ever with his Muslim registry sillyness.

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: 11B4V on December 03, 2015, 12:31:32 AM
Nah, it's real.  CNN is reporting that he stormed out a holiday party and came back shooting.

That doesn't go along with events. It wasn't a lone gunman. 2-3 heavily armed shooters.

QuoteOfficials involved in the investigation tell NBC News it is looking more and more likely that Farook and a woman, who one person described as "a fiancee," were involved in the assault.

Police said a male and a female suspect were killed in a shootout with police after officers chased a sport-utility vehicle being sought after the attack. They were dressed in "assault-style clothing" and were carrying assault-style weapons and handguns, San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan said.

A third person seen leaving the area near the SUV has been taken into custody, Burguan said, but he stressed that it is not clear he was involved in the shootings.

The identities of those two who were killed and the person detained were not released.

Police had said they were looking for up to three people involved in the attack. Officials told NBC News Wednesday night it looks less and less likely that a third person was involved in the attack.

11B4V

Quote from: katmai on December 03, 2015, 12:35:30 AM

Bizarre, I wouldn't call the twenty-seven percenters(nut jobs) of the right wingers of trumps, a majority. Try again Viper.

11B4V

Quote from: katmai on December 03, 2015, 12:38:51 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 03, 2015, 12:31:32 AM

QuoteOfficials involved in the investigation tell NBC News it is looking more and more likely that Farook and a woman, who one person described as "a fiancee," were involved in the assault.

Police said a male and a female suspect were killed in a shootout with police after officers chased a sport-utility vehicle being sought after the attack. They were dressed in "assault-style clothing" and were carrying assault-style weapons and handguns, San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan said.

A third person seen leaving the area near the SUV has been taken into custody, Burguan said, but he stressed that it is not clear he was involved in the shootings.

The identities of those two who were killed and the person detained were not released.

Police had said they were looking for up to three people involved in the attack. Officials told NBC News Wednesday night it looks less and less likely that a third person was involved in the attack.

Yes two dead and that's what we got to go with.

derspiess

Was at a semi-impromptu bottle share at a neighbor's house.  They're lefties, so reading everything now I'm not surprised they went all quiet at a certain point in the evening.  But anyway I'm still trying to mentally process the whole thing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: katmai on December 03, 2015, 12:16:14 AM
It is?

Well the neighbors were saying he had gotten very religious lately. Not conclusive yet though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

What is this CAIR organization. Have read up on them.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 03, 2015, 12:45:18 AM
They're lefties, so reading everything now I'm not surprised they went all quiet at a certain point in the evening.

Lefties have a tendency to go quiet? Somebody should tell my facebook feed.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on December 03, 2015, 12:41:09 AM
Quote from: katmai on December 03, 2015, 12:35:30 AM

Bizarre, I wouldn't call the twenty-seven percenters(nut jobs) of the right wingers of trumps, a majority. Try again Viper.

Trump, Carson and Cruz got 59% in the last poll, and they're basically all out there in lala land.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Valmy

Nah, it's real.  CNN is reporting that he stormed out a holiday party and came back shooting.  Maybe it's an Islam thing maybe it's just a crazy asshole thing.  Honestly, I still think it's a crazy asshole thing.  It sounds like he was getting back at coworkers.  You can be a Muslim and kill people for reasons not related to Jihad on the West.  There's always some crazy jerk who doesn't realize that the proper response to insults is not to ball them up until you go crazy, but to productively punch a person in the parking lot.

I don't think anybody disputes this Raz. It has been said repeatedly in this thread already. The recent spiritual awakening complete with fundamentalist clothing is a bit of a red flag though...presuming that part is true of course.