And we're back!

Main Menu

The Paris Attack Debate Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, November 13, 2015, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Jaron on November 15, 2015, 10:24:31 PM
What facts?

The facts that any given religious person* agrees with me that millions upon millions of gods don't exist.  They make an exception for their gods.  I don't.  But we are in fundamental agreement about the non-existence of gods, beyond their quibble.

*Hindus and Sikhs exccepted
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on November 16, 2015, 12:54:45 AM
What the fuck are you harping on about? Your posts have been almost impossible to understand lately - you are always making some obscure point (usually based on nitcpiking on minuatiae) that has absolutely zero relevance to the discussion at hand.

No, I will not stop talking over your head.  If you can't keep up, just ignore the bits you can't understand.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on November 16, 2015, 05:55:53 AM
The facts that any given religious person* agrees with me that millions upon millions of gods don't exist.  They make an exception for their gods.  I don't.  But we are in fundamental agreement about the non-existence of gods, beyond their quibble.

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 15, 2015, 02:40:45 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2015, 11:24:23 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2015, 08:53:35 PM
Guys while I agree that Islamic-inspired terrorists are the #1 suspect, we don't actually know who has done this terrible attack, or why.  Let's wait for facts before we start debating what to do next.

Okay, so now it does look like Islamic, probably even IS-inspired terrorists are responsible.  Would it really have been that terrible to wait until Sunday to start discussing what France/the West's response should be?

Yes.

And no, it served no purpose to wait except being politically correct. Languish has a whole does not care.

Raqqa is still not a smoldering ruin   :mad:

it is to be hoped that one of the victims of this attack will be political correctness. It has done more bad than good since the 68-ers control of politics and media.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: mongers on November 15, 2015, 04:38:08 PM
On checking the woman is Obama's national security advisor, no idea on who the other Russian male is.

going by the eyebrows, someone from vulcan.
Not that he has anything to do with it but the attack might have some fortuitous effects for Putin. Less so for Ukraine or even the Baltics, long term.

Quote from: LaCroix on November 16, 2015, 12:16:47 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 16, 2015, 12:13:00 AMThat's kind of a silly hypothetical, don't you think?

ISIS *might* not attack the US if they're busy conquering the rest of the world and the US promises not to interfere, until ISIS has conquered the rest of the world, at which point I would expect ISIS to try and conquer the US.

but that sounds awfully strategic and based on something that isn't purely religion

there's no rule that says you can't use strategy in order to reach religiously mandated goals. jeez.

Quote from: LaCroix on November 16, 2015, 01:09:16 AM
i just don't think religion matters much,

Maybe in the west it doesn't. In the rest of the world the situation is often very very different.

edit: 4 posts in a row is silly. Might have been 5 (the train syrians and send them back idea was posted on languish some months ago)

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 16, 2015, 06:14:03 AM

It's one of those bizarre statements that  Grumbler makes that he apparently thinks is profound but is in fact meaningless.  I know it's a popular statement amongst the "Bright movement", and Grumbles is childish enough to walk around telling people that he "is Bright".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 16, 2015, 06:14:03 AM

(snip)

I am sure that everyone thinks that THEIR religion is the one exception to the general consensus that any given god does not, in fact, exist.  They generally can't respond to this sort of logic other than to post clips saying "there you go again," because there is no intellectual counter-argument to my statement.  "MY god is different because that's what I believe" isn't an intellectual response.

Bayraktar!

Solmyr

Quote from: Jaron on November 15, 2015, 08:09:54 PM
What happened to Muslims? They used to be in mathematics and poetry and philosophy and all that good stuff. Nowadays they just blow things up and shoot places up.

Those guys tended to be not very pious Muslims.

frunk

Quote from: Martinus on November 16, 2015, 02:13:57 AM
By the way, what do you guys think of the idea? The guy is from PiS, so all the liberal and leftist media are making fun of him and saying he is making us into an international laughingstock, but I am not sure if this is such a bad idea - and even if it is a bad idea, it is not outside of the realm of discussion that European politicians engage in.

Presumably most of the refugees are people who didn't want to fight, that's why they are fleeing.  I'm sure some of them do, and it might be possible to train them, but it likely won't be a significant number.  Further, what will this refugee army fight for?  These are refugees from a 4 year Civil War, they aren't likely to have a united position on what factions to support.

mongers

So is this the place to discuss ways to defeat ISIS or does it need another thread or for that mater reusing the ISIL one from a while back?

I'd like to focus on the Obama administration, which seems to be in a bit of a corner because to some extent the situation requires decisive action and that runs counter to Pres.Obama natural cautiousness?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Quote from: mongers on November 16, 2015, 08:26:02 AM
So is this the place to discuss ways to defeat ISIS or does it need another thread or for that mater reusing the ISIL one from a while back?

I'd like to focus on the Obama administration, which seems to be in a bit of a corner because to some extent the situation requires decisive action and that runs counter to Pres.Obama natural cautiousness?

Barack has been willing to drones or bombers to destroy targets (Libya for example), but has been unwilling (mostly) to put "Boots on the ground."  What decisive action would you like to see?  Anything that would destroy ISIS and prevent another ISIS like group from arising would seem (to me) to require a very long commitment from the west.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Grey Fox

I think the problem is Assad.

If NATO troops are on the ground then they will only stop when Assad is ousted. Russia is preventing that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Savonarola

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 16, 2015, 09:50:52 AM
I think the problem is Assad.

If NATO troops are on the ground then they will only stop when Assad is ousted. Russia is preventing that.

Okay, but then what would replace Assad?  I don't think the west is willing to simply replace him with another dictator.  The experiences with democracy in Iraq (or Libya or Egypt) don't leave me with a lot of confidence that the situation would improve with him gone.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 16, 2015, 03:17:26 AMThe Red Army Faction and their ilk were hardly lone rangers.

And in which broken world did the idea of lynching uppity blacks first originate, so that Klansmen, who would otherwise have sung kumbaya endlessly, could be properly proselytized in the La Croix fashion?

that's why i said "mostly correct." broken world only goes so far. it's really whatever conditions exist that force a violent extreme group into existence. things like red army faction and the IRA formed more because there was a group of people who really desired something. the basis can be caused by religion, political ideology, ethnicity, nationalism, or one of many other reasons why people band together. but there has to be something going on for one person to convince others to jump on board. otherwise it's some ranting nut.