News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Paris Attack Debate Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, November 13, 2015, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I would've thought Putin's English was good enough to do without the interpreters.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 15, 2015, 04:33:28 PM
I would've thought Putin's English was good enough to do without the interpreters.  :hmm:

It's supposed to be Ok, but I think he tends to speak Russian so there's a sort of level playing field in discussions.

On checking the woman is Obama's national security advisor, no idea on who the other Russian male is.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 15, 2015, 04:33:28 PM
For some stupid diplomatic protocol reason, foreign leaders typically always speak in their own language when in public, no matter what level of mastery in the other's language they have.

Josquius

Seems to be a lot of people trying to belittle this attack. Going on about the incident in beirut and the university attack from months ago in Kenya.  :frusty:
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on November 15, 2015, 05:31:35 PM
For some stupid diplomatic protocol reason, foreign leaders typically always speak in their own language when in public, no matter what level of mastery in the other's language they have.

Sure. I was thinking they were having a private discussion for some reason.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on November 15, 2015, 06:05:14 PM
Seems to be a lot of people trying to belittle this attack. Going on about the incident in beirut and the university attack from months ago in Kenya.  :frusty:

The "you should feel bad about feeling bad about this attack, because you didn't feel bad enough about previous ones" crowd is getting on my tits.

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on November 15, 2015, 06:20:06 PM

The "you should feel bad about feeling bad about this attack, because you didn't feel bad enough about previous ones" crowd is getting on my tits.

It is outrageous and offensive that you are not outraged enough about this incident to satisfy Tyr, and it is belittling to the most recent victims to even remember that there were previous victims.

You must stand ready, however, to forget this attack ever happened, should there be another attack somewhere else.  If you aren't fast enough in forgetting this attack  at that point, Tyr will be frustrated and mad at you for belittling the new victims.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Duque de Bragança

It seems that everybody has somebody like that in his circle of acquaintances or even worse, friends.

Josquius

There's even one friend of mine pretty much  saying France deserved it for pursuing a war of aggression and bombing civilians in Syria :bleeding:

Quote from: grumbler on November 15, 2015, 06:47:50 PM

It is outrageous and offensive that you are not outraged enough about this incident to satisfy Tyr, and it is belittling to the most recent victims to even remember that there were previous victims.

You must stand ready, however, to forget this attack ever happened, should there be another attack somewhere else.  If you aren't fast enough in forgetting this attack  at that point, Tyr will be frustrated and mad at you for belittling the new victims.
Wow. You sure got me. That is clearly 100% how I feel. :rolleyes:
██████
██████
██████

Siege

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2015, 08:04:35 PM
Reasonable Muslims at some point have to realize that there is too much about their religion that is fucked up, say to world that some things Mohammed said were retarded, that some of the Koran is bullshit, and either chuck it altogether or pick out some parts that are worth saving and invent a new religion.

Never gonna happen.
Their holy writings are available to every muslim and any intent to reform islam can be easily dismissed by the fundies by pointing out the correct passages in their Quran and Hadiths.

The problem with Islam is that, unlike any other universal religion, Islam was a warmongering ideology from the very begining.
Christianity was peaceful religion that was used by the powers that be as justification for power and expansion, so it was relatively easy to reform christianity by using the very bible used by the elites in power.

Judaism was a national religion which never had global pretentions and had several chock blocks built in to make impossible a global reach, like requiring all males to come 3 times a year to the temple, by having only one temple, and requiring religion conversion to be equal to national and cultural conversion. All these made expansion by conquest or colonization imposible for jews. Another built in safe block is the kosher diet, which forces jews to live in civilization and limits the reach of military campaigns by making living off the land a very difficult enterprise.

Bottom line, Mohaameed fucked up islam from the begining.
It cannot be reformed.
It can only be destroyed.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Siege on November 15, 2015, 07:45:16 PM
Never gonna happen.
Their holy writings are available to every muslim and any intent to reform islam can be easily dismissed by the fundies by pointing out the correct passages in their Quran and Hadiths.

I agree, which is why I said they have to discard Islam and create something new.

Jaron

What happened to Muslims? They used to be in mathematics and poetry and philosophy and all that good stuff. Nowadays they just blow things up and shoot places up.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2015, 07:50:33 PM
Quote from: Siege on November 15, 2015, 07:45:16 PM
Never gonna happen.

I agree, which is why I said they have to discard Islam and create something new.

Discard all of it and be done. Don't restart nonsense.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: 11B4V on November 15, 2015, 08:13:33 PM

The charity part is nice.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2015, 08:15:57 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on November 15, 2015, 08:13:33 PM

The charity part is nice.

True, but people would do that anyway. Gays, kids, and the overall general population would be better off without the nonsense.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".