News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Paris Attack Debate Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, November 13, 2015, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: 11B4V on November 15, 2015, 08:24:55 PM
True, but people would do that anyway. Gays, kids, and the overall general population would be better off without the nonsense.

Is there something about having spent time in the military that makes people respond to posts without reading them?  I specifically said either toss it altogether or only keep the good parts.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2015, 08:29:23 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on November 15, 2015, 08:24:55 PM
True, but people would do that anyway. Gays, kids, and the overall general population would be better off without the nonsense.

Is there something about having spent time in the military that makes people respond to posts without reading them?  I specifically said either toss it altogether or only keep the good parts.

I agree with you about tossing it all together.

Your original post said "and" not "or". Different context IMO.

I agree, which is why I said they have to discard Islam and create something new.

My bad if I was confusing. ;)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: 11B4V on November 15, 2015, 08:52:03 PM

Your post said "and" not "or". Different context IMO.

Fair enough.  But I don't see how you get from "create something new" to "keep some of the nonsense."

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2015, 09:03:34 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on November 15, 2015, 08:52:03 PM

Your post said "and" not "or". Different context IMO.

Fair enough.  But I don't see how you get from "create something new" to "keep some of the nonsense."

NP. Nonsense=Religion in my posts. IOW Religion itself is nonsense.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2015, 09:03:34 PM

If you make it a religion, then you have kept some of the nonsense.  I suppose quasi-religions like Buddhism are all right, since they have no deities and address only the behavior of the believer.  They all seem pretty emo, but maybe some people need that excuse to feel good about their own emodom.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on November 15, 2015, 09:07:14 PM
NP. Nonsense=Religion in my posts. IOW Religion itself is nonsense.

Beat me to it.  Deities and extrinsic morality (for adults) are nonsense.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jaron

When did Languish become so hostile to religion? :blink:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Grey Fox

Always, you didnt notice back when you were not one of gods chosen.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jaron

I wonder what MishkaZaznaykin would have to say about all this.

grumbler

Quote from: Jaron on November 15, 2015, 09:31:26 PM
When did Languish become so hostile to religion? :blink:

I am not hostile to religion,but I think it is nonsense.  People can indulge if they please with my complete blessings (I've known any number of very good people who were religious), but that doesn't change the facts.

Bayraktar!

Jaron

Grallon

Kill Them All!  Sterilize the whole region and put the fear of God into the survivors who lurk within our borders, since the maggots are so eager to invoke it on others...

They want a war?  Let's give it to them.  The West has an overabundance of nukes it no longer has any need for; we might as well put them to use.

Ahh... but that was a fantasy.

In reality we'll temporize, obfuscate and wring our collective hands - wondering 'how come they hate us so much'...  until the next attack comes.  And with mindless idiots like the new Canadian PM, who's already wetting himself with his promise of welcoming twenty-five thousand potential Syrian terrorists - before Christmas no less - we'll just have to wait for the next assault.

Here's an unpleasant truth, for all the 'sympathizers' of those mongrels...

Even if the West was to pull out of every Muslim country tomorrow; even if we were to stop any military actions against any of them - and repatriate all of our fellow citizens operating there in any capacity - such wanton slaughter would still be conceived, prepared and executed.

The worm is in the fruit already.

Islam *must* die!

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Siege on November 15, 2015, 07:45:16 PM
Judaism was a national religion which never had global pretentions and had several chock blocks built in to make impossible a global reach, like requiring all males to come 3 times a year to the temple, by having only one temple, and requiring religion conversion to be equal to national and cultural conversion. All these made expansion by conquest or colonization imposible for jews.

Impossible is a bit much.  The Hasmoneans conquered Galilee and Edom and some strips beyond the Jordan; it appears they either engaged in forced or "persuasive" conversions. But it's true those efforts were opportunistic and local, not part of a universal expansionist ideology.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jaron

Quote from: Grallon on November 15, 2015, 10:28:59 PM
Kill Them All!  Sterilize the whole region and put the fear of God into the survivors who lurk within our borders, since the maggots are so eager to invoke it on others...

They want a war?  Let's give it to them.  The West has an overabundance of nukes it no longer has any need for; we might as well put them to use.

Ahh... but that was a fantasy.

In reality we'll temporize, obfuscate and wring our collective hands - wondering 'how come they hate us so much'...  until the next attack comes.  And with mindless idiots like the new Canadian PM, who's already wetting himself with his promise of welcoming twenty-five thousand potential Syrian terrorists - before Christmas no less - we'll just have to wait for the next assault.

Here's an unpleasant truth, for all the 'sympathizers' of those mongrels...

Even if the West was to pull out of every Muslim country tomorrow; even if we were to stop any military actions against any of them - and repatriate all of our fellow citizens operating there in any capacity - such wanton slaughter would still be conceived, prepared and executed.

The worm is in the fruit already.

Islam *must* die!

G.

Easy there, Le Pen.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?