And we're back!

Main Menu

The Paris Attack Debate Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, November 13, 2015, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2015, 02:38:57 AM
Quote from: Drakken on November 14, 2015, 12:56:27 AM
A) Christians moved passed that because most intellectuals, deist or Christian, accepted the Enlightenment and the idea that came with it that religion ought to be emasculated, a tool for keeping social order and not a contender for divided loyalty between the state and their personal faith. Hence why, in France, priests were made to swear (by force if necessary) to the Civil Constitution of the Clergy, and why Napoleon had the Concordate consentend to and signed by the Pope. The same should be done with Imams (and really any and all priests of recognized religions) : They accept a "civil" constitution that preach respect and obedience to the rule of law, plus toleration of the land's law and customs and other people's belief, in exchange for being personally paid and receiving financial support from the state, or they have no permit to preact, their property on their cult is forfeit, and non-citizen "priests" are deported. Even that is more lenient than the fate that was reserved to non-swearing priests (read a date with the Lousiette).

B) It took bloody civil wars (even during the revolution with the Vendée) and Christians killing each other in droves for centuries before Christians, as a whole, finally accepted that tolerating other people's beliefs might be better than constant and brutal chaos all the time. Even the Dechristianization in France during the Revolution was rather brutal. Carrier, Hébert and Fouché really didn't fuck around with abstract liberal concepts of "respecting the liberty of Christians" and "sacrificing liberty for security leads to the loss of both" when their society was in mortal danger.

You may be right, but I think you're overlooking one significant difference: the basic text of Christians was anti-violence, so anyone arguing in favor of anti-violence from a Christian perspective had unimpeachable credibility.

Oh great, another generalization excusing all the violent parts of the Bible and all the violence of Christianity so that Muslims can be targeted for their religion. 

Grinning_Colossus

So, at this point, what are the odds of a NATO-ISIS ground war?
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

grumbler

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 14, 2015, 10:25:05 AM

Not high enough to suit me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 14, 2015, 10:25:05 AM

On a 100 scale? 20-25, imo.

Sadly, Russia is still in the way.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

I would anticipate heavy pressure on Turkey in the coming weeks.  Exploration of military options leads inevitably to scenarios involving supply through Turkey and cooperation with the Kurdish militia forces.  That would require significant change in Turkish policy.   France could invoke the NATO charter thus requiring Turkey's cooperation and assistance as a matter of treaty (if not reality).  Perhaps Erdogan will be more flexible having won his election but I would anticipate friction.

Another obvious line of thought involves broader intel cooperation and more collection efforts; so I would expect renewed debate within Europe about the Snowden question.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 14, 2015, 10:39:17 AM
I would anticipate heavy pressure on Turkey in the coming weeks.  Exploration of military options leads inevitably to scenarios involving supply through Turkey and cooperation with the Kurdish militia forces.  That would require significant change in Turkish policy.   France could invoke the NATO charter thus requiring Turkey's cooperation and assistance as a matter of treaty (if not reality).  Perhaps Erdogan will be more flexible having won his election but I would anticipate friction.

Another obvious line of thought involves broader intel cooperation and more collection efforts; so I would expect renewed debate within Europe about the Snowden question.

The problem with Turkey is their intelligence services have been caught red-handed sending weapons to ISIS, how do you make sure all of the Turkish state and Erdogen get in line with a firm NATO anti-ISIS response?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Legbiter

Without an end to Muslim immigration into France and Europe, Hollande's "pitiless war" isn't a serious proposition. Hell, Mutti Merkel wants to halt Germany's death-spiral demographics by fast-track Islamization. 

Oh, and 16% of French citizens support ISIS.

http://www.newsweek.com/16-french-citizens-support-isis-poll-finds-266795
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Minsky Moment

Hence I anticipate friction.
One would hope at this point the Turks see that the blowback risks have become unmanageable and back away from going full Pakistan
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Maladict

TGV accident with several dead, the French are not getting a break  :(

https://t.co/N2zBn19BwY

Zanza

Quote from: Legbiter on November 14, 2015, 10:45:40 AM
Without an end to Muslim immigration into France and Europe, Hollande's "pitiless war" isn't a serious proposition. Hell, Mutti Merkel wants to halt Germany's death-spiral demographics by fast-track Islamization. 
You are aware that the refugees flee from the people that committed these acts?  :huh:

Queequeg

Quote from: Zanza on November 14, 2015, 10:52:43 AM
You are aware that the refugees flee from the people that committed these acts?  :huh:
This is cute but silly.

Syria had 50% youth unemployment before the war. I don't know how many refugees have had work in 3 years. They've lived brutal religious conflict instead. And they're going to see all the wealth and culture of Europe but be unable to attain to it or participate in it.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 14, 2015, 10:46:26 AM
Hence I anticipate friction.
One would hope at this point the Turks see that the blowback risks have become unmanageable and back away from going full Pakistan

Yes one would hope.

My fear is the Turkish states absolute opposition to all things tinged with Kurdistan means a series of irrational responses is more likely; proto-Pakistan?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

Don't leave us hanging. Spell it out. What is your conclusion from these observations?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Maladict on November 14, 2015, 10:48:45 AM
TGV accident with several dead, the French are not getting a break  :(

https://t.co/N2zBn19BwY

That's a trial TGV for the new high-speed line extending from Lorraine (Baudrécourt) to Strasbourg I guess. Looked a bit like an ICE (German TGV). 5 dead "only" since this was not a normal train operating. Could have been lot worse, I guess that's why there are trials before opening a new line but still. :(

LaCroix

Oh, and 16% of French citizens support ISIS.

http://www.newsweek.com/16-french-citizens-support-isis-poll-finds-266795

this is like watching the NRA in the aftermath of a school shooting (edit - not just you, legbiter, just the really weak arguments in general blaming all this on islam). you know that article is from over a year ago, right