Main Menu

Shootings and explosions in Paris

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2015, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 26, 2015, 03:06:36 AM
Are those verbatim quotes?

No.  Do you require verbatim quotes?  They are really arguments, not quotes.

Well it won't do much good to give you page numbers but here's a blurb for his own damn book
http://www.amazon.com/The-Pity-Of-War-Explaining/dp/0465057128
QuoteIn The Pity of War, Niall Ferguson makes a simple and provocative argument: that the human atrocity known as the Great War was entirely England's fault. Britain, according to Ferguson, entered into war based on naïve assumptions of German aims—and England's entry into the war transformed a Continental conflict into a world war, which they then badly mishandled, necessitating American involvement. The war was not inevitable, Ferguson argues, but rather the result of the mistaken decisions of individuals who would later claim to have been in the grip of huge impersonal forces.That the war was wicked, horrific, inhuman,is memorialized in part by the poetry of men like Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, but also by cold statistics. More British soldiers were killed in the first day of the Battle of the Somme than Americans in the Vietnam War; indeed, the total British fatalities in that single battle—some 420,000—exceeds the entire American fatalities for both World Wars. And yet, as Ferguson writes, while the war itself was a disastrous folly, the great majority of men who fought it did so with enthusiasm. Ferguson vividly brings back to life this terrifying period, not through dry citation of chronological chapter and verse but through a series of brilliant chapters focusing on key ways in which we now view the First World War.For anyone wanting to understand why wars are fought, why men are willing to fight them, and why the world is as it is today, there is no sharper nor more stimulating guide than Niall Ferguson's The Pity of War.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

QuoteMore British soldiers were killed in the first day of the Battle of the Somme than Americans in the Vietnam War; indeed, the total British fatalities in that single battle—some 420,000—exceeds the entire American fatalities for both World Wars.

Shocking. Just shocking.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on November 26, 2015, 12:06:37 PM
QuoteMore British soldiers were killed in the first day of the Battle of the Somme than Americans in the Vietnam War; indeed, the total British fatalities in that single battle—some 420,000—exceeds the entire American fatalities for both World Wars.

Shocking. Just shocking.

And inaccurate too.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

420 000 is the total loss for the British from July 1st to november.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on November 26, 2015, 04:39:41 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 26, 2015, 03:09:51 AM
Not sure abou fault, but he did say that Britain entering WW1 was the biggest error in modern history: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/30/britain-first-world-war-biggest-error-niall-ferguson

I'd tend to agree

I will remember that if Britain ever gets invaded. Honoring ones treaty obligations to your allies is the biggest error one can make it seems.

Fuck you modern Europeans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

420,000 casualties not fatalities.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 26, 2015, 01:37:08 PM

Yeah less than 100,000 were killed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: viper37 on November 26, 2015, 01:37:08 PM

I was referencing to the first part, something like 55,500 died in Vietnam, off the top of my head 55,000-60,000 British casualties on July 1st, of whom about 15,000-17,000 were killed/missing, for some reason 16,781  or 15,781 sticks in my mind*.

So I'd guess someone, somewhere confused casualties with fatalities.

* No doubt wiki will have much more accurate figures.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Valmy on November 26, 2015, 01:45:24 PM
Not sure abou fault, but he did say that Britain entering WW1 was the biggest error in modern history: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/30/britain-first-world-war-biggest-error-niall-ferguson

I'd tend to agree

I will remember that if Britain ever gets invaded. Honoring ones treaty obligations to your allies is the biggest error one can make it seems.

Speaking of helping your allies; the French defence minister has directly asked Britain to help France in Syria :

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/26/france-appeals-britain-join-syrian-war-against-isis-french-defence-minister-le-drian

They are debating whether to attack ISIS in Syria in Parliament right now.

viper37

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 26, 2015, 01:47:07 PM
420,000 casualties not fatalities.

ah, I thought this was high, I got confused between the 2 words :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Done with poise and grace.  We have a lot to learn from you. :thumbsup:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Valmy on November 26, 2015, 01:45:24 PM

I'd tend to agree

Did the UK actually have any treaty obligation to defend France in 1914?  If they did, it got missed in any histories I've read--and I've read a lot.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on November 26, 2015, 10:10:17 PM
Did the UK actually have any treaty obligation to defend France in 1914?  If they did, it got missed in any histories I've read--and I've read a lot.

They had treaty obligations to defend Belgium.