And we're back!

Main Menu

Shootings and explosions in Paris

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2015, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 26, 2015, 10:11:13 PM
Quote from: dps on November 26, 2015, 10:10:17 PM
Did the UK actually have any treaty obligation to defend France in 1914?  If they did, it got missed in any histories I've read--and I've read a lot.

They had treaty obligations to defend Belgium.

D'oh.

I knew that.  Don't know why I was concentrating on the French.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on November 26, 2015, 01:45:24 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 26, 2015, 04:39:41 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 26, 2015, 03:09:51 AM
Not sure abou fault, but he did say that Britain entering WW1 was the biggest error in modern history: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/30/britain-first-world-war-biggest-error-niall-ferguson

I'd tend to agree

I will remember that if Britain ever gets invaded. Honoring ones treaty obligations to your allies is the biggest error one can make it seems.

Fuck you modern Europeans.

:secret: Not all modern Europeans are afflicted with the Trianon syndrome.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: viper37 on November 26, 2015, 03:37:17 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 26, 2015, 01:47:07 PM
420,000 casualties not fatalities.

ah, I thought this was high, I got confused between the 2 words :)

What is more worrying is that it appears that Ferguson, a "historian", also made that mistake in print...........or simply didn't care about the distinction. Mind you he has very little credibility in my eyes, he is a media personality rather than a historian now.

Richard Hakluyt

Did the UK actually have any treaty obligation to defend France in 1914?  If they did, it got missed in any histories I've read--and I've read a lot.

Which were very useful for getting mass support from the populace when we went to war to help France  :bowler:

(and ourselves of course, why the Kaiser thought that building a huge fleet wouldn't offend is one of life's mysteries)

mongers

Well I admire his honesty as nearly as much as he and his teammates courage:

Paris attacks: First policeman into Bataclan speaks of horror
15 December 2015

The first police officer to arrive at the Bataclan has described the "indescribable moment of fear" he felt on entering the scene of the massacre.

The officer told French media how he and a colleague came face-to-face with one of three gunmen launching an attack, and shot him dead.

Ninety concert-goers were killed at the Bataclan concert hall, where Eagles of Death Metal were playing.

Dozens more people died in co-ordinated attacks across Paris on 13 November.

The policeman, a department head at the Paris anti-crime brigade (BAC), told FranceInfo radio (in French) that he and his colleague had been responding to reports of an explosion at the Stade de France when they were redirected.

They were ordered to go to the 10th and 11th arrondissements of Paris following news of shootings. On the way, they found panicked concert-goers fleeing the Bataclan and quickly decided to go inside.

"What surprised us immediately was the extremely bright light that blinded us," said the officer, whose identity has been protected for security reasons.

"The bewildering silence... and then hundreds of bodies one on top of the other."

Full article with video here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35101945
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Technically so did Austria.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 27, 2015, 02:33:07 AM
What is more worrying is that it appears that Ferguson, a "historian", also made that mistake in print...........or simply didn't care about the distinction. Mind you he has very little credibility in my eyes, he is a media personality rather than a historian now.

I'm afraid you are correct.  Ferguson tends to ignore the history that doesn't support his current hobby-horse (like the fact that Britain was, indeed, at war with Napoleon, a fact he ignores to try to make the argument that Britain not going to war in 1914 would have mirrored Britain's decision not to go to war against Napoleon).

There is an argument to be made for Britain to stay out of the war, but his argument isn't it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Duque de Bragança

According to La Libre Belgique website, Salah Abdeslam, one of the terrorists still on the run, was known to be in Molenbeek by the Belgian police two days after the attacks, but could not be arrested due to a 1967 Belgian law preventing search operations between 23 and 5, unless in flagrante delicto or for a fire.  :hmm:

http://www.lalibre.be/actu/belgique/salah-abdeslam-localise-a-molenbeek-apres-les-attentats-mais-la-police-n-a-pas-pu-intervenir-567129603570ed38949a4d9c

QuoteSalah Abdeslam localisé à Molenbeek après les attentats, mais la police n'a pas pu intervenir
RÉDACTION EN LIGNE Publié le mercredi 16 décembre 2015 à 10h06 - Mis à jour le mercredi 16 décembre 2015 à 11h29

Share on printShare on emailMore Sharing Services
Jambon: "On s'attendait à un attentat avant minuit le dimanche 22 novembre"
Le coup de fil de Salah Abdeslam a mené à une 5e arrestation en Belgique
Les frères Abdeslam avaient été signalés auprès d'Interpol
BELGIQUE L'ennemi public numéro 1 suite aux attaques de Paris, Salah Abdeslam, a failli être arrêté 2 jours après les attentats selon Koen Geens. Le ministre de la Justice CD&V a fait cette déclaration surprenante lors de son interview à VTM qui sera diffusée ce mercredi soir.

Selon Het Laatste Nieuws, Koen Geens révèle que Salah Abdeslam " se trouvait vraisemblablement dans une habitation de Molenbeek 2 jours après les attentats de Paris". Les services de renseignements l'avaient localisé dans la nuit du dimanche 15 au 16 novembre.

Voici pourquoi la police n'est pas intervenue

Le Code pénal belge n'autorise pas les perquisitions entre 23h et 5h du matin, sauf en cas de flagrant délit ou d'incendie. Le terrorisme n'est (pas encore du moins) considéré comme étant une exception à cette règle. La police ne serait intervenue qu'en fin d'après-midi, après avoir obtenu un mandat de perquisition.

L'interview choc du ministre de la Justice sera diffusée ce mercredi soir dans l'émission Faroek de VTM.

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 27, 2015, 02:35:20 AM
Which were very useful for getting mass support from the populace when we went to war to help France  :bowler:

(and ourselves of course, why the Kaiser thought that building a huge fleet wouldn't offend is one of life's mysteries)

Eh the leadership was hardly united in going to war. But once Belgium got invaded Britain pretty much had no choice in the matter.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Two more guys arrested suspected being members of the same cell. This time in Austria, in a refugee camp.

Crazy_Ivan80

Breaking news:

Salah Abdeslam, one of the terrorists involved in the Paris attacks, has been apprehended in Brussels. In Molenbeek of course, where he must have had the help of the fifth column so eagerly imported over the past few decades. The new searches came after his fighterprints were found during the action in Vorst (another part of Brussel) earlier this week (Duque de Bragança posted an article about that iirc)

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.english/News/1.2604740 (english)

http://www.tijd.be/politiek_economie/belgie_algemeen/Terrorist_Abdeslam_is_opgepakt_in_Molenbeek.9745665-4002.art (dutch)

Norgy

"So eagerly imported". You sound like Breivik.

Capetan Mihali

You didn't import them out of the goodness of your heart, you know...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 18, 2016, 12:30:32 PM
You didn't import them out of the goodness of your heart, you know...

That's a better reason than "our pension plan only works as a Ponzi scheme".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?