News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shootings and explosions in Paris

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2015, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on November 21, 2015, 02:46:33 AM
That's a bit of an oversimplification. The European countries that border Russia are definitely pulling their weight (as much as they can) and the UK and France both seem to take their military commitments seriously.

The Baltics are a joke from what I've read.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 21, 2015, 02:48:02 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 21, 2015, 02:46:33 AM
That's a bit of an oversimplification. The European countries that border Russia are definitely pulling their weight (as much as they can) and the UK and France both seem to take their military commitments seriously.

The Baltics are a joke from what I've read.

Yeah but then their economies are a joke too. It's like Rhode Island having an army.

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, Rhode Island has a bigger economy than any one of the Baltic states.

Britain has sent a small number of troops to the Baltics to provide "training" and whatnot. Or, to put it another way, if the Russians invade the Baltics then they will probably have to kill a few British soldiers to do so.......a deterrent of sorts. I believe the French and Americans have also posted small numbers of troops in the area.

Admiral Yi

But what's their population, about 2 million per?

Equipment is expensive but grunts can be cheap, and IIRC the entire Lithuanian army consists of one battalion.  That's something like 600 men.

Richard Hakluyt

Doesn't look as bad as that according to wiki :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuanian_Armed_Forces

They have reintroduced conscription it seems.

Martinus

It seems Brussels is completely shut down today. I wonder when this stops being sustainable and what we will do then.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 21, 2015, 04:25:44 AM
Doesn't look as bad as that according to wiki :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuanian_Armed_Forces

They have reintroduced conscription it seems.

Seems I was thinking of Latvia.  According to Wiki there are 971 troops in the Latvian Land Forces.

Martinus

But Latvia is not even a proper country. :P

Archy

The terrorists are winning Brussels is a city under hostage. No metros,  schools today. Shopping centers closed and a lot of evenements were canceled. And because of this my earlier bus didn't show without earlier warning.  :mad: :(

Martinus

Quote from: Archy on November 23, 2015, 01:30:12 AM
The terrorists are winning Brussels is a city under hostage. No metros,  schools today. Shopping centers closed and a lot of evenements were canceled. And because of this my earlier bus didn't show without earlier warning.  :mad: :(

As I asked before, I wonder if the West is going to adapt to this new reality of living under the constant threat of terror or whether (assuming that things will continue going in the same direction) it eventually gets to a breaking point when the West comes to a conclusion that wiping out all followers of Islam from the face of the Earth is preferable to the alternative.

I am not actually advocating this or looking forward to this - I am just wondering.

Jaron

Quote from: Martinus on November 23, 2015, 01:34:26 AM
Quote from: Archy on November 23, 2015, 01:30:12 AM

As I asked before, I wonder if the West is going to adapt to this new reality of living under the constant threat of terror or whether (assuming that things will continue going in the same direction) it eventually gets to a breaking point when the West comes to a conclusion that wiping out all followers of Islam from the face of the Earth is preferable to the alternative.

I am not actually advocating this or looking forward to this - I am just wondering.

:rolleyes:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on November 21, 2015, 02:47:15 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 21, 2015, 12:59:01 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 20, 2015, 11:03:25 PM
I find it dumbfounding that the Europeans continue to cut and starve their militaries while the Middle East blows up and Russia flexes its muscles. Is this some kind of weird suicide pact?

"Those goddamn warmongering Yanks will take care of it".

Not really. Countries that have no military power comparable to their economic potential are quite safe.

The worst what the US public could do is to stop fulfilling its treaty commitments to Poland because Belgium is not spending enough on its army.

Yes, really.  The NATO guideline for military spending is a minimum of 2% of GDP.  Of the 28 member states only five meet that this year.  US, UK, Greece, Estonia and Poland.  Last year it was four, Poland joined the club just this year.  From here it looks like a lot like Europe's strategy is to cut spending and let the Americans work it out.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on November 23, 2015, 04:14:44 AM
I find it dumbfounding that the Europeans continue to cut and starve their militaries while the Middle East blows up and Russia flexes its muscles. Is this some kind of weird suicide pact?

Not really. Countries that have no military power comparable to their economic potential are quite safe.

The worst what the US public could do is to stop fulfilling its treaty commitments to Poland because Belgium is not spending enough on its army.

Yes, really.  The NATO guideline for military spending is a minimum of 2% of GDP.  Of the 28 member states only five meet that this year.  US, UK, Greece, Estonia and Poland.  Last year it was four, Poland joined the club just this year.  From here it looks like a lot like Europe's strategy is to cut spending and let the Americans work it out.

Yes. All the while scoring cheap popularity points with their voters on being critical to US "warmongering" of course.

Duque de Bragança

Seems you forgot France in your list. Even before the extra spending linked to the recent events: 2.2 %, more or less like the UK.

PS:  conflicting reports from NATO and the World bank.  :hmm:

Razgovory

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 23, 2015, 05:39:52 AM

Seems you forgot France in your list. Even before the extra spending linked to the recent events: 2.2 %, more or less like the UK.

PS:  conflicting reports from NATO and the World bank.  :hmm:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nato-calls-for-rise-in-defence-spending-by-alliance-members-1434978193

Nope, I didn't forget it. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017