News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shootings and explosions in Paris

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2015, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Wars were so much simpler when there were frontlines and opposing nations.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Quote from: Syt on November 20, 2015, 04:53:14 AM
Wars were so much simpler when there were frontlines and opposing nations.

Simpler maybe, but also somewhat deadlier.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Malian security forces launched an assault on the hotel. At least, three people dead. Details are sketchy. 8O hostages freed, according to French TV.

KRonn

Another horrid attack, this time in Mali. These attacks seem more frequent now with the rise of ISIS as various splinter groups become emboldened by ISIS' longevity and join up and try to stage their own horror show in support.

celedhring

This morning, our Foreign Minister offered to relieve France in Mali. After the attacks, the offer has been quickly withdrawn  :rolleyes:

It was a terrible idea to begin with (Spain in Mali?), but that's a chicken shit move.

Syt

Germany has 200 soldiers down there to train Mali troops (parliamentary mandate is for up to 350), though the foreign minister has assured that Germany is still willing to expand its mission there to free up French forces.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Do we need a Terror Megathread?

Anyhoo, all day there's been rumours of terrorist attacks on our busiest train station. Police dismissed it as scaremongering. Now there's tonnes of police there and they closed the station. :hmm:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on November 20, 2015, 02:18:04 PM
This morning, our Foreign Minister offered to relieve France in Mali. After the attacks, the offer has been quickly withdrawn  :rolleyes:

It was a terrible idea to begin with (Spain in Mali?), but that's a chicken shit move.

A very Spanish move though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

KRonn

Quote from: Syt on November 20, 2015, 02:21:36 PM
Germany has 200 soldiers down there to train Mali troops (parliamentary mandate is for up to 350), though the foreign minister has assured that Germany is still willing to expand its mission there to free up French forces.

The US also has troops training Malian special forces troops, from what I heard on a news cast. Also that US SF troops were assisting Malian troops in securing the attack area.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: KRonn on November 20, 2015, 02:26:35 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 20, 2015, 02:21:36 PM

The US also has troops training Malian special forces troops, from what I heard on a news cast. Also that US SF troops were assisting Malian troops in securing the attack area.

Some French special forces arrived there later on.
According to the Figaro.fr, around 20 people killed, probably even 27, among them an American. Local terrorist actors claimed responsibility such as Al-Murabitun, Belmokhtar's group, the one who did the hostage taking in the oil station in Southern Algeria IIRC, plus AQIM (Al-Qaeda in Islamic Maghreb i.e Algerian terrorists rebranded). A US gvt source claims that Al-Qaida was also implicated.

viper37

Belgium warns of 'serious and imminent threat' to Brussels

QuoteBelgium has placed Brussels at the highest terror alert level, citing a "serious and imminent threat that requires taking specific security measures as well as specific recommendations for the population."

The announcement by the Crisis Centre of the Belgian Interior Ministry is advising the public to avoid places where large groups gather -- such as concerts, sporting events, airports and train stations -- and comply with security checks. The rest of the nation will maintain its current terror level.

If people take the terror alert seriously, Brussels will be "shut down tomorrow," CNN terrorism analyst Paul Cruickshank said.

"It suggests they have something specific and credible at the intelligence front pointing them in the direction that there may be a terrorist plot in the works," he said. "It also suggests they don't have a handle on it, that they don't know where these plotters are or where they're coming from."

The increase in alert level for Brussels comes as authorities investigating last week's terror attacks in Paris conduct raids in Belgium as they work to identify and take down the network of terrorists behind the carnage.

Salah Abdeslam, 26, is the subject of an international search warrant. He was last seen driving toward the Belgian border when police stopped and questioned him a few hours after the attacks, not knowing that he was allegedly involved. His whereabouts are unknown.

ISIS has claimed responsibility for the Paris attacks.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

I find it dumbfounding that the Europeans continue to cut and starve their militaries while the Middle East blows up and Russia flexes its muscles. Is this some kind of weird suicide pact?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on November 20, 2015, 11:03:25 PM
I find it dumbfounding that the Europeans continue to cut and starve their militaries while the Middle East blows up and Russia flexes its muscles. Is this some kind of weird suicide pact?

"Those goddamn warmongering Yanks will take care of it".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

That's a bit of an oversimplification. The European countries that border Russia are definitely pulling their weight (as much as they can) and the UK and France both seem to take their military commitments seriously.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 21, 2015, 12:59:01 AM

"Those goddamn warmongering Yanks will take care of it".

Not really. Countries that have no military power comparable to their economic potential are quite safe.

The worst what the US public could do is to stop fulfilling its treaty commitments to Poland because Belgium is not spending enough on its army.