News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shootings and explosions in Paris

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2015, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I love how it has both been completely ignored and yet reported.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 17, 2015, 07:28:20 AM
Charlie Hebdo front cover this week was made with garbonites in mind:

"They've got the weapons
Fuck them
We've got champagne !"

Garbonites only have sparkling wine.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on November 17, 2015, 09:29:58 AM

"They've got the weapons
Fuck them
We've got champagne !"

Actually we call everything champagne, so we have both. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Sort of how I don't put stock in Sainsbury's "Greek Style Salad Cheese." :thumbsdown:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on November 17, 2015, 09:24:11 AM

In todays parlance "ignored" means "not viral".
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 17, 2015, 10:36:42 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 17, 2015, 09:24:11 AM

In todays parlance "ignored" means "not viral".

22,000 retweets and 13,000 likes = Nobody cares
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: garbon on November 17, 2015, 09:32:14 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 17, 2015, 09:29:58 AM

"They've got the weapons
Fuck them
We've got champagne !"

Actually we call everything champagne, so we have both. :)

QED

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2015, 05:05:37 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 15, 2015, 04:49:46 PM
I know the Americans meant well with the whole praying thing so I don't get the outcry BUT you do seem unable to understand the European viewpoint:

In Europe unless you are seriously religious, Christianity is A religion. So it seems obvious that when a religiously motivated massacre happens, you don't necessarily want to mention praying.

Now obviously Americans are more accustomed to the thought/general social consensus of Christianity being THE religion, so this doesn't compute for them.

It doesn't seem at all obvious to me.  You have to be a retard to think all religious people are evil.  If the Dalai Lama or the Pope showed up in Paris to demonstrate support should people pelt them with rocks or run in terror?  That would be psychotic.  But that's exactly the kind of reaction these various analogies are suggesting.

Well, I don't know about the Pope, but here's what the Dalai Lama had to say about praying for Paris:

QuoteWe cannot solve this problem only through prayers. I am a Buddhist and I believe in praying. But humans have created this problem, and now we are asking God to solve it. It is illogical. God would say, solve it yourself because you created it in the first place.

We need a systematic approach to foster humanistic values, of oneness and harmony. If we start doing it now, there is hope that this century will be different from the previous one. It is in everybody's interest. So let us work for peace within our families and society, and not expect help from God, Buddha or the governments.

:cool:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on November 17, 2015, 04:09:55 PM
I am a Buddhist and I believe in praying.

This is like raping someone who has just been raped!

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on November 17, 2015, 10:38:02 AM

When the tweet was first made it had not been retweeted or liked.

Quite possibly, the tweet was about the lack of coverage - in the media or on social media - up until the point in time it was made, and thus the tweet failed to take into account what would happen in the future.

Valmy

Quote from: Archy on November 17, 2015, 01:49:14 AM
IMHO this religiousness is baked in,  in the English language. Even the English bless you when you sneeze  ;)

:yes:

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 17, 2015, 04:12:53 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 17, 2015, 04:09:55 PM
I am a Buddhist and I believe in praying.

This is like raping someone who has just been raped!

Wait has the Dalai Lama set up a straw man? Who said prayers will solve this? :huh:

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on November 17, 2015, 04:18:41 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 17, 2015, 10:38:02 AM

When the tweet was first made it had not been retweeted or liked.

Quite possibly, the tweet was about the lack of coverage - in the media or on social media - up until the point in time it was made, and thus the tweet failed to take into account what would happen in the future.

Ok first of all the attack just occurred. I do not even know the names of any of the first responders who were involved in this thing at all. It is way too soon to make sweeping judgments on all of western civilization and its media and its treatment of this man. Further their only source for this story appears to be the Wall Street Journal, a pretty major newspaper. They claim that nobody cares but they know damn well lots of people care a great deal and would eagerly celebrate a first responder who acted courageously as they claim. That is why they tweeted this in the first place. The false story they invented for outrage fodder was that nobody cared because he was a Muslim and every media outlet hates Muslims and was trying to cover it up. Completely ridiculous.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on November 17, 2015, 02:32:05 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 16, 2015, 10:04:57 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 16, 2015, 04:55:43 PM
Blair is a good example - his strong religious beliefs were actually kept under wraps during his term in the office, because it would have been a huge detriment among voters.

Well, it is notoriously anti-Catholic country.
Not particularly.

Yeah, I mean it's not like the British starved out a million Catholic Irish or had a holiday were they burned the Pope in effigy.  Or maybe you just agree with people like Dawkins who say it's the "second most evil religion" so you don't see it as Anti-Catholicism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points