News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shootings and explosions in Paris

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2015, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

So, apparently, all European league football games this week are starting with a minute of silence for the victims.

In two games so far supporters of Turkey and Bosnia-Hercegovina, respectively, ignored that by whistling and shouting "Allahu Akbar". garbon will tell us if this is more or less classy than Charlie Hebdo...

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 17, 2015, 06:43:26 PM
I really don't think one and two are really comparable. I know if I say "I'm praying for you" due to some tragedy, I will literally pray for them. I don't think I am unusual in that.

I think it generally means that one means to pray for you at that particular time. Whether they actually remember to do so...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on November 17, 2015, 06:36:14 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 17, 2015, 06:00:39 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 17, 2015, 04:59:16 PM

Careful, you're close to pulling a Viper.

Not even close.  This is just Tyr's normal nonsense when talking about religions.  Like how nice it is that the indigenous beliefs of the Japanese, Buddhism, is persevered.  A great deal of Britain's identity is based around opposition to Catholics.  First as rebellion by a murderous tyrant, then as a part of Protestantism, and finally as an element of modern secularism. In modern Britain it comes from both left and right and is deeply ingrained in the British character. It's not as bad as was during the Troubles but it is very telling that the Prime Minister had to hide his religion to be elected.

Raz, you're talking out of your arse.

Oh?  Would you like examples from the Left or the Right?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2015, 01:13:18 AM
Quote from: mongers on November 17, 2015, 06:36:14 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 17, 2015, 06:00:39 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 17, 2015, 04:59:16 PM

Careful, you're close to pulling a Viper.

Not even close.  This is just Tyr's normal nonsense when talking about religions.  Like how nice it is that the indigenous beliefs of the Japanese, Buddhism, is persevered.  A great deal of Britain's identity is based around opposition to Catholics.  First as rebellion by a murderous tyrant, then as a part of Protestantism, and finally as an element of modern secularism. In modern Britain it comes from both left and right and is deeply ingrained in the British character. It's not as bad as was during the Troubles but it is very telling that the Prime Minister had to hide his religion to be elected.

Raz, you're talking out of your arse.

Oh?  Would you like examples from the Left or the Right?

Wtf you have two arses??

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Liep

A woman is dead in Paris after she exploded her bomb vest when police raided her apartment. :o
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2015, 12:57:57 AM
So, apparently, all European league football games this week are starting with a minute of silence for the victims.

In two games so far supporters of Turkey and Bosnia-Hercegovina, respectively, ignored that by whistling and shouting "Allahu Akbar". garbon will tell us if this is more or less classy than Charlie Hebdo...

This has been standard practice by Turkish supporters, but not for Bosnians.
Albanians, despite being 2/3 muslim (in theory) don't do that.

Tamas

3 terrorists dead so far, some policemen injured, they have allegedly cornered the last surviving scumbag.

Worst of all, a police dog has reportedly been killed during the raid :(

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on November 18, 2015, 04:08:26 AM
A woman is dead in Paris after she exploded her bomb vest when police raided her apartment. :o

This is actually in a shopping area in Saint-Denis, in the notorious Seine Denis département, more like a city centre, not a high-rise rough social housing zone, but the assault takes place in a squat. :lol: Hurray for laxism.

Seen on Twitter
Montjoie Saint-Denis, Allahu Akbar! Synthesis attempt.

The boss of the RAID (French Swat) is reported to be wounded.

Martinus

Incidentally, I wonder where the games took place. Because if it was within the EU, and presumably there were the police present, this should have caused the police to halt the game and forcibly remove the offenders and have them transported immediately to their country of origin, with a "stadium ban".

Europe needs to grow balls.

Edit: Apparently this took place in Istambul. So we should first reconquer the city, and *then* remove the offenders.  :cool:

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2015, 04:50:46 AM

Incidentally, I wonder where the games took place. Because if it was within the EU, and presumably there were the police present, this should have caused the police to halt the game and forcibly remove the offenders and have them transported immediately to their country of origin, with a "stadium ban".

Europe needs to grow balls.

Edit: Apparently this took place in Istambul. So we should first reconquer the city, and *then* remove the offenders.  :cool:

Wait did they do anything violent? Are you advocating that people should be deported when they say something incredibly distasteful?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

If they are foreign (i.e. non-local resident) football hooligans interrupting games with something distasteful, yes, they should definitely be deported with a re-entry ban. This has been done in the past when it comes to racist slogans and banners, too - in fact, even football clubs were penalised for their supporters doing something like this.

garbon

Wow, well I'm glad I'm from the land of the free. I may not like that speech but I don't think shouting "Allahu Akbar" rises to the level of meriting a deportation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2015, 05:31:26 AM
Wow, well I'm glad I'm from the land of the free. I may not like that speech but I don't think shouting "Allahu Akbar" rises to the level of meriting a deportation.

Nice spin.  :lol:

Martinus

Anyway, it's no different than Westboro Baptist Church being denied an entry into the UK because of the offensive stuff they are going to say.

I don't think freedom of speech should extend to any form of expression (irrespective of form and contex) by non-citizen non-residents visiting the country.  :huh: