News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shootings and explosions in Paris

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2015, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: Jaron on November 14, 2015, 04:44:45 PM
They could have done without the religion line. It is a slap to the face to compassionate Americans offering their sympathies. Just accept the gesture.

I think the ones that need to be understanding in this situation are the Americans. Europeans are less religious, get over it and show your compassion like a French would by going out, getting drunk and making love to someone.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Jaron

Quote from: Liep on November 14, 2015, 04:50:37 PM
They could have done without the religion line. It is a slap to the face to compassionate Americans offering their sympathies. Just accept the gesture.

I think the ones that need to be understanding in this situation are the Americans. Europeans are less religious, get over it and show your compassion like a French would by going out, getting drunk and making love to someone.

So your response would be we should not express ourselves in a way that makes sense to us and instead engage in behavior that is probably contrary to the beliefs of the people making those statements? That seems like a very silly response.

When some tragedy happens, some people will say "I'm sorry for your loss." and others will say "You are in my prayers." It is the same sentiment and not worth nitpicking over. Just say thanks and move on.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

Quote from: Jaron on November 14, 2015, 04:53:32 PM
Quote from: Liep on November 14, 2015, 04:50:37 PM

So your response would be we should not express ourselves in a way that makes sense to us and instead engage in behavior that is probably contrary to the beliefs of the people making those statements? That seems like a very silly response.

When some tragedy happens, some people will say "I'm sorry for your loss." and others will say "You are in my prayers." It is the same sentiment and not worth nitpicking over. Just say thanks and move on.

Exactly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Liep on November 14, 2015, 04:42:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2015, 04:35:34 PM
It's spite thrown back at people offering their condolences. Or are condolences only to be offered in the 'right' way? It is no different from people saying they are keeping good thoughts - unless one is making a ridiculous link between the religion of the attackers and the religion of those making prayers.

I don't see the spite. He's thanking people for their thoughts but ask they not use God as a mediator. If I had just been attacked by people praising God while doing so I think I would ask the same.

So then they are making the ridiculous connection with a not so veiled sneer at religion.

And I don't know, perhaps I might emotionally feel that way if such were to happen to me, but I'd hope that I wouldn't have it color my opinions of all religious people, particularly those who are just trying to express their condolences.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2015, 04:37:03 PM
Quote from: Maladict on November 14, 2015, 04:00:35 PM
This is what he said:
Friends from the whole world,
Thank you for #PrayForParis,
But we don't need more
Religion! Our faith goes
To Music! Kisses! Life!
Champagne and joy!
#ParisIsAboutLife

Doesn't look that dreadful to me  :huh:

Yeah that is pretty spiteful garbon. I totally understand your rage :mellow:

Excuse me? Rage? Is that how it is because I'm black? ;)

I came across this as Buzzfeed had an article saying it was beautiful. I don't think this is a beautiful response to people offering their condolences.

Liep

I don't think it's silly to think about who's hurt here. I know a lot of people who'd be less accepting of "being in someone prayers" than that Hebdo writer.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: Liep on November 14, 2015, 05:01:12 PM

I don't think it's silly to think about who's hurt here. I know a lot of people* who'd be less accepting of "being in someone prayers" than that Hebdo writer.

* Mostly old left wingers, but I reckon there's a few of those in France as well

Valmy

Indeed. One of the most anti-religious publications says possibly the least ugly thing it has ever said about religious people. Just say thanks and move on.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

The New Polish government has announced  that due to the attacks they find it politically impossible to take in their quota of an additional 4500 refugees  (in addition to the 2000 already in the country).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on November 14, 2015, 05:06:15 PM
The New Polish government has announced  that due to the attacks they find it politically impossible to take in their quota of an additional 4500 refugees  (in addition to the 2000 already in the country).

Yeah that was what I was worried about. Alot of governments are going to have this problem now. This is certainly not going to help the cause of any friends the Syrian Refugees have over in the USA.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2015, 05:08:57 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 14, 2015, 05:06:15 PM

Yeah that was what I was worried about. Alot of governments are going to have this problem now. This is certainly not going to help the cause of any friends the Syrian Refugees have over in the USA.
as I said, for Canada, 25 000 in one month is way too much.
I don't the situation of Poland, I don't know their resources.  But if they thought they had enough resources to meet their quota before, they should still move forward, maybe a little slower to be extra careful.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jaron

The US should immediately send back the refugees we just had arrive.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on November 14, 2015, 02:45:19 PM
Oh my god! One of them was a Syrian asylum seeker! Well that settles it, we better shoot all Syrians on sight just to be sure.

I don't see it getting much press but apparently one of the attackers was a French national.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2015, 06:33:11 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 14, 2015, 02:45:19 PM
Oh my god! One of them was a Syrian asylum seeker! Well that settles it, we better shoot all Syrians on sight just to be sure.

I don't see it getting much press but apparently one of the attackers was a French national.

Mentioned earlier in the thread and on French media. This attacker comes from a notorious banlieue, Courcouronnes, in the Essonne département.

Liep

Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2015, 04:58:04 PM
Quote from: Liep on November 14, 2015, 04:42:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2015, 04:35:34 PM
It's spite thrown back at people offering their condolences. Or are condolences only to be offered in the 'right' way? It is no different from people saying they are keeping good thoughts - unless one is making a ridiculous link between the religion of the attackers and the religion of those making prayers.

I don't see the spite. He's thanking people for their thoughts but ask they not use God as a mediator. If I had just been attacked by people praising God while doing so I think I would ask the same.

So then they are making the ridiculous connection with a not so veiled sneer at religion.

And I don't know, perhaps I might emotionally feel that way if such were to happen to me, but I'd hope that I wouldn't have it color my opinions of all religious people, particularly those who are just trying to express their condolences.

A ridiculous connection sure, but if you think religion is ridiculous it's easy to make that connection. And the sneer is rather thin for a Hebdoist.