Democrats are in denial. Their party is actually in deep trouble.

Started by jimmy olsen, October 19, 2015, 10:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

My first experience with a failure of Google: I tried "Andrew Cuomo's squeeze" and got some pictures of him making speeches.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 20, 2015, 06:49:18 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on October 20, 2015, 06:42:50 PM
That would be the guy who came under investigation by his own anti-corruption task force and then had them fired?  Yeah, he doesn't have a political future.

Would that make him either unknown or geriatric?  Don't move the goal posts on me you square headed deserter.
:lol:  he is someone without a future, just like the rest of the Democratic Party leadership.

Part of the problem is that the democrats, unlike the GOP, assign leadership positions still mainly based on seniority.  The other problem is that the Dems, unlike the GOP, have closed primaries that make it difficult for new talent to enter.

Of course the open primary system is giving the GOP Donald Trump, so it is a two edged sword.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 20, 2015, 07:02:00 PM
My first experience with a failure of Google: I tried "Andrew Cuomo's squeeze" and got some pictures of him making speeches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we2iWTJqo98
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

sbr

Quote from: dps on October 20, 2015, 04:38:26 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 20, 2015, 10:40:12 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 20, 2015, 10:31:44 AM
So.
Is Berkut level 2 or level 4?
I don't think there are levels above 3 when it comes to politics.  Well, I think I'm at level 3, so I would think that, won't I?   :hmm:  In theory he could be level 20, but I guess everyone at some point has to take it on faith that they're at the highest level there is.

:hmm:  Well, that's not very reassuring.

Fools often tend to think they're the smartest people around.  Smart people tend to realize that there's always someone smarter then them out there somewhere.

I consider myself a pretty smart guy.  IRL, I've know several people who are smarter than me.  Here on Languish, there are several posters I figure are roughly as smart as I am, and some that may be smarter.  You're not one of 'em.

You hide it well.

Hansmeister

Quote from: sbr on October 20, 2015, 07:47:58 PM
Quote from: dps on October 20, 2015, 04:38:26 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 20, 2015, 10:40:12 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 20, 2015, 10:31:44 AM
So.
Is Berkut level 2 or level 4?
I don't think there are levels above 3 when it comes to politics.  Well, I think I'm at level 3, so I would think that, won't I?   :hmm:  In theory he could be level 20, but I guess everyone at some point has to take it on faith that they're at the highest level there is.

:hmm:  Well, that's not very reassuring.

Fools often tend to think they're the smartest people around.  Smart people tend to realize that there's always someone smarter then them out there somewhere.

I consider myself a pretty smart guy.  IRL, I've know several people who are smarter than me.  Here on Languish, there are several posters I figure are roughly as smart as I am, and some that may be smarter.  You're not one of 'em.

You hide it well.

Hubris gets everyone in the end, except me.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on October 20, 2015, 01:56:21 PM
Well, one of us is deluded, isn't it?  You can never be 100% that you're not the one, but I'm sure enough to be willing to put money on the line whenever a thought process is testable.  I'll always wager against you or Berkut if we're on opposite sides of the betting line, without too much of a nagging doubt that I'm being made a sucker.

I am making no claims about how smart I am.  You are.  Smart people don't make such claims.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on October 20, 2015, 06:39:57 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 20, 2015, 04:39:52 PM
FWIW I think y'all are a bunch of bona fide genuises.

Oh yeah, a real gang of regular brainiacs here on languish. No doubt.

Well, we ain't exactly a chapter of Mensa here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on October 20, 2015, 08:06:10 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 20, 2015, 01:56:21 PM
Well, one of us is deluded, isn't it?  You can never be 100% that you're not the one, but I'm sure enough to be willing to put money on the line whenever a thought process is testable.  I'll always wager against you or Berkut if we're on opposite sides of the betting line, without too much of a nagging doubt that I'm being made a sucker.

I am making no claims about how smart I am.  You are.  Smart people don't make such claims.
:hmm: I think you're making an awful lot of assumptions and generalizations about how smart people behave. 

It may shock a lot of psychologists here, but sometimes truly smart people really do assert their intellectually superiority rather directly.  Especially when their willingness to suffer fools gladly dips temporarily.  It may not make them the most likable of people, but it doesn't make them not smart. 

I think way too many people here have read too much into Dunning-Kruger effect.  Just because the tendency identified by them does exist doesn't mean that every person's competency is the inverse of their perceived competency.  It is in fact possible to be simultaneously aware of both your competencies and your limitations.

Valmy

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 20, 2015, 06:14:38 PM
The big problem that the Dems are having is a complete lack of new political talent. From the democratic debate to Congress all the democratic politicians look like they should be living in an assisted living community in Florida playing bingo. There doesn't seem to be any high profile democrat who doesn't already collect a social security check.

Boy you got that right. The biggest star the Democrats have created in this state recently was abortion barbie. Ten years ago they would at least have some big city mayor on the way up.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on October 20, 2015, 08:13:19 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 20, 2015, 06:39:57 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 20, 2015, 04:39:52 PM
FWIW I think y'all are a bunch of bona fide genuises.

Oh yeah, a real gang of regular brainiacs here on languish. No doubt.

Well, we ain't exactly a chapter of Mensa here.
Half the posters here are non-Polish lawyers.  You need to be pretty bright to make it in that field.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 20, 2015, 06:42:50 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 20, 2015, 06:36:09 PM
Cuomo

I've also read good things about that Rhode Island treasurer, or maybe Lt. governor, the one that fixed their pension problem.

That would be the guy who came under investigation by his own anti-corruption task force and then had them fired? 

He wasn't even under investigation, one of his bag men got implicated and that was enough to get him to pull the plug.
Of course the party types rallied around him, mostly out of sheer cravenness.
Then he brought 3 court cases to try to get his primary challenger knocked off the ballot (all failed).  After finally winning the primary, he thanked her for running and giving New Yorker a choice.   :lol:
The guy has chutzpah even by NY standards, and not in a good way.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 20, 2015, 06:14:38 PM
The big problem that the Dems are having is a complete lack of new political talent.

That's true but generally true of both parties.  Talented people don't get into politics anymore.  The difference is the GOP  either doesn't realize it or doesn't care and tries to pass off empty suits like Ryan or various puffed-off buffoons as "talent".  It's pretty telling in a wide open primary year the three top polling candidates have virtually no connection to the party.  The rest of the field isn't very heartening - Rand Paul is a fruitcake running against half the platform, Huckabee is building ratings for his TV show, there's the droop-eyed Bush brother who hasn't run as much as town meeting in years, Kasich the Gingrich era retread remade as ersatz RINO, etc.  Rubio is the only one worth a damn; too bad for him he has to pitch to a nativist electorate.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 20, 2015, 11:31:31 PM
Rubio is the only one worth a damn; too bad for him he has to pitch to a nativist electorate.
And engage in a bidding war on who can cut the taxes closest to 0%, while doubling/tripling/quadrupling/quintupling the historical GDP growth rate with all the pent up economic activity being unpent.