Democrats are in denial. Their party is actually in deep trouble.

Started by jimmy olsen, October 19, 2015, 10:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on October 20, 2015, 09:11:54 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2015, 07:42:29 AM
Quote from: DGuller on October 19, 2015, 10:33:43 PM
Democrats may be in trouble, but not of their own making. 

As a die hard Democrat, you could not have come up with a response that would more perfectly align with exactly the point the author is trying to make. It is like he wrote it himself.
I hate to have another go at this, but I'm not a die hard Democrat.  You can fart around all you want about this, but repeating it more times won't make it any more true.

I don't think going around about it is even interesting. You are a die hard Dem, and there really isn't even anything wrong with that. When I read this article, the first thing that popped into my head is curiosity on how the typical die hard Dem would react to it, and I figured denial of the denial would be the standard die hard response.

You, of course, were kind enough to fit the predicted behavior perfectly.

But again, you are right - there is no point in you denying at (again), because your denials don't move my evaluation an iota, and I am sure my arguing it doesn't change your denial a bit either.

But that doesn't mean that your opinion is not of interest - I do like to see how the die hards react to things like this.

The problem is with the electorate getting crazy, not anything unusually incompetent or nefarious that Democrats did.  I don't think going half-crazy to try to capture some of the indoctrinated crazies is the way to go.

Yeah, that is just a useless response. "The electorate is crazy, so we should not do anything at all" is a excuse to do nothing, not a tactical or strategic response to shifting political terrain. "The electorate" is not some external object that the Democrats have no control over or association with - they are, in fact, part of the electorate after all.

This is pure ostrich strategy.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 20, 2015, 09:17:24 AM
I think the Democratic strategy right now is to wait for demographic change.  They have neglected their ground game since 2010, which isn't good, but simply waiting for the boomers to die is a viable strategy.

Oh they have tried to push their ground game, their 50 state strategy and everything. It just has not worked very well. But failure is not the same thing as neglect. They have just not found an issue to mobilize paranoid people as well as the anti-Government stuff the Republicans have been trotting out there. Bernie Sanders and his anti-Corporate stuff is what they need to rally the crazies. Everybody wants a boogie man for all of their problems.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2015, 09:20:18 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 20, 2015, 09:17:24 AM
I think the Democratic strategy right now is to wait for demographic change.  They have neglected their ground game since 2010, which isn't good, but simply waiting for the boomers to die is a viable strategy.

Oh they have tried to push their ground game, their 50 state strategy and everything. It just has not worked very well. But failure is not the same thing as neglect. They have just not found an issue to mobilize paranoid people as well as the anti-Government stuff the Republicans have been trotting out there. Bernie Sanders and his anti-Corporate stuff is what they need to rally the crazies. Everybody wants a boogie man for all of their problems.

The problem here is that it isn't working - there are apparently some non-old white people who are keeping the Republicans in power despite the supposed demographic changes that are dooming them in the long run.

The long run seems to be getting longer and longer all the time.

0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

His big point is that the GOP is doing well at the state government level because of ideological flexibility.  OK that may be true but so what?  I'm a Democrat but not because I have a thing for donkeys or because Nancy Pelosi's career is important me.  It's because I tend to agree more with their policy positions on average than I do with GOP ones.  If a Mitt Romney-type wants to moderate his social positions and support universal healthcare to get elected in Mass, good for him.  Yes it's a "Republican" victory, but so what?  I agree that from a party perspective, the Democrats would be advised to encourage more flexible ideological candidates in challenging states, but at the end of the day I don't really care who gets elected governor in Mississippi.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

State governments matter on the national level because they do congressional redistricting.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Which is why I would favor candidates of any party that favor non-partisan re-districting.

I get the issue but logical conclusion of that mental process is voting for whatever corrupt party hack in play just so that the "wrong" party isn't in command when the census comes around.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2015, 09:18:30 AM
I don't think going around about it is even interesting. You are a die hard Dem, and there really isn't even anything wrong with that. When I read this article, the first thing that popped into my head is curiosity on how the typical die hard Dem would react to it, and I figured denial of the denial would be the standard die hard response.

But again, you are right - there is no point in you denying at (again), because your denials don't move my evaluation an iota, and I am sure my arguing it doesn't change your denial a bit either.

But that doesn't mean that your opinion is not of interest - I do like to see how the die hards react to things like this.
I think what we have here is a difference in levels of thinking.  Someone who played poker a lot with deep understanding will understand what I'm talking about. 

Different players think at different levels, and better players think at higher levels, but on any given hand, players of vastly different levels will make the same decision.  If you're level 1, level 3, or level 5 player, you'll call, and if you're level 2 or level 4 player, you'll fold.  If you're a level 2 player, you're incapable of conceiving of thinking above level 2.  So if you see a level 5 player call, you'll assume that he's a level 1 player, and think that you're better than him.  Of course, this doesn't hold true for every hand, otherwise there would be no difference between level 1 and level 5 players, but this situation comes up often, and this is one reason why losing players can so easily get deluded about how their skills stack up.

So coming back to here, you see me reach the same conclusion that a die-hard Democrat would reach, and since you're one and only one level higher in the sophistication of thinking compared to die-hard partisans, you conclude that I am a die-hard partisan as well.  You cannot conceive of a situation where someone could be thinking on a level one higher than yourself, and that he would just happen to reach the same conclusion that someone one level lower than yourself would reach in this particular case. 

Am I claiming that I think about politics on a level one higher than you?  Yes, yes I do, not that it's that great of an accomplishment.  Will I be able to convince you of this fact?  No, I'm not under any delusion about that, not until you mature some more intellectually.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 20, 2015, 09:46:45 AM
This is gonna get good.

It has potential, yet so have many Guller/Berkut clashes in the past that fizzled out.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 20, 2015, 09:49:32 AM
This is gonna get good.

It has potential, yet so have many Guller/Berkut clashes in the past that fizzled out.  :hmm:

I don't remember DorseyKGB being that puffed up before.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

This is gonna get good.

Oh, you can be sure that this is a pure fizzle. What possible response is there to the level of arrogance displayed above?

This is "I was on the car club in college, so I know all about professional racing" level of hilarity.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on October 20, 2015, 09:41:04 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2015, 09:18:30 AM

I think what we have here is a difference in levels of thinking.  Someone who played poker a lot with deep understanding will understand what I'm talking about. 

Different players think at different levels, and better players think at higher levels, but on any given hand, players of vastly different levels will make the same decision.  If you're level 1, level 3, or level 5 player, you'll call, and if you're level 2 or level 4 player, you'll fold.  If you're a level 2 player, you're incapable of conceiving of thinking above level 2.  So if you see a level 5 player call, you'll assume that he's a level 1 player, and think that you're better than him.  Of course, this doesn't hold true for every hand, otherwise there would be no difference between level 1 and level 5 players, but this situation comes up often, and this is one reason why losing players can so easily get deluded about how their skills stack up.

So coming back to here, you see me reach the same conclusion that a die-hard Democrat would reach, and since you're one and only one level higher in the sophistication of thinking compared to die-hard partisans, you conclude that I am a die-hard partisan as well.  You cannot conceive of a situation where someone could be thinking on a level one higher than yourself, and that he would just happen to reach the same conclusion that someone one level lower than yourself would reach in this particular case. 

Am I claiming that I think about politics on a level one higher than you?  Yes, yes I do, not that it's that great of an accomplishment.  Will I be able to convince you of this fact?  No, I'm not under any delusion about that, not until you mature some more intellectually.

Just to save for posterity...

0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2015, 10:12:53 AM
This is gonna get good.

Oh, you can be sure that this is a pure fizzle. What possible response is there to the level of arrogance displayed above?

This is "I was on the car club in college, so I know all about professional racing" level of hilarity.
Okay, I'm glad that over.  Once the tension dies down, let's get together so that I could learn some humility from you.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on October 20, 2015, 10:21:52 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2015, 10:12:53 AM
This is gonna get good.

Okay, I'm glad that over.  Once the tension dies down, let's get together so that I could learn some humility from you.

I make no claims to humility.

0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson