sub-Roman Britain, the Romano-British, and the Welsh

Started by Caliga, September 28, 2015, 12:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I started listening to Tengger Cavalry a few weeks ago - they're pretty good if you don't mind Chinese instruments or Mongolian throat singing. Though Chthonic remains my favorite Chinese metal band (they're from Taiwan, not PRC, though).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2015, 12:43:25 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2015, 10:36:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2015, 09:56:18 PM
Yeah, Athens was not unlike modern Saudi Arabia.  Women wore veils, were not allowed out without a guardians, lived in separate compartments of the houses from the men.  It is strange how often we forget.

Well being on an equal level with a civilization 2500 years later is not so bad. But the comparison to show how sexist the Romans were was being made against the Celts.

Quote"I was a pagan German, and all I got was a rope around the neck".

Ancient cultures have things that go against modern cultural sensibilities? You don't say Raz.

Not all ancient cultures sacrificed human beings.  I think "strangling people and tossing them in the bog" goes a bit beyond "violating our culture sensibilities".  There is also some evidence that the Muslims got their attitudes about women from the ancient Greeks, the wellspring of Western culture. Funny that.  It does make one think though, who are the true inheritor of the culture that outlawed meteorology and invented the blood libel.  The West or the Middle East?

You're massively overstating your case.

1) You've disagreed w me in the past for talking of a united "Greek" culture and therefore probably know as well as I do that in the Classical Period, different Greek cities, let aloen different Greek sub-ethnicities, would have had radically different roles for women.
2) I'd like you to point to the Saudi Lysistrata. 
3) Byzantium allowed women to assume certain formal offices of power that would have been impossible in the Arab World.
4) Byzantium and later Rome did not have patriarichal segmentary linages, like a lot of the Arab World.  No tribes.  Descent could be traced through women, and was, totally unlike the Muslim world, with the exception of the daughters of Muhammad.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2015, 12:43:25 AM
There is also some evidence that the Muslims got their attitudes about women from the ancient Greeks, the wellspring of Western culture.

?
IIRC there was more influence from Sassanid Persia in that regard.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Queequeg

Yeah.

I think the Greeks would have viewed a lot of Muslim views on a woman's honor, or family honor regarding the control of women, as completely barbarian. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on September 30, 2015, 11:32:35 AM

1) You've disagreed w me in the past for talking of a united "Greek" culture and therefore probably know as well as I do that in the Classical Period, different Greek cities, let aloen different Greek sub-ethnicities, would have had radically different roles for women.
3) Byzantium allowed women to assume certain formal offices of power that would have been impossible in the Arab World.
4) Byzantium and later Rome did not have patriarichal segmentary linages, like a lot of the Arab World.  No tribes.  Descent could be traced through women, and was, totally unlike the Muslim world, with the exception of the daughters of Muhammad.

I would say that Byzantium was quite different then classical Greece.  I would also suggest that some parts of the Arab world women had many more rights then Byzantine Greece.  Like women elected to office in Egypt.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Until Egypt allows a woman to be Equal to the Apostles and Christ's Vice-Regent on Earth they still have a ways to go to catch up to the Byzantine Greeks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2015, 03:32:29 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on September 30, 2015, 11:32:35 AM

I would say that Byzantium was quite different then classical Greece.  I would also suggest that some parts of the Arab world women had many more rights then Byzantine Greece.  Like women elected to office in Egypt.

Actually it was classical Greece then Byzantium.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I'm surprised you reproduced my grammatical error.

The Brain

Razgovory

The Brain

Razgovory

No, but I did expect better from my intellectual superiors.