News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Vote in the Catalan regional election!

Started by celedhring, August 24, 2015, 07:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalonia regional election: who would you vote for?

43 (84.3%)
1 (2%)
2 (3.9%)
1 (2%)
0 (0%)
3 (5.9%)
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: celedhring on September 28, 2015, 11:15:50 AM
It's easier than that. The Spanish state controls all money flows towards the regions coming from taxation. They only need to turn off the tap and the public sector in Catalonia will grind to a halt in a matter of weeks.

bullying would only prove to the independence-group they've been right all along.

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 28, 2015, 01:12:23 PM
bullying would only prove to the independence-group they've been right all along.

So a nice response by Spain would change the independence-group's mind?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2015, 01:21:39 PM

it might be one step of many to convince them that Spain is serious about rooting out anti-Catalan sentiment.
But given Spain's history towards the region (both recent and not so recent) I doubt the country can convince anyone, especially not if the PP is in power.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2015, 01:21:39 PM

Just speaking from watching Canada's situation vis-a-vis Quebec...

It's a delicate balancing act.  Clearly pulling a hard line is just going to play into the independence-sides hand, but so does an overly obsequious response as well (as in "hey look out how well voting for independence parties worked for us!").  You just have to try a "business as normal" approach and not get drawn into petty nationalist fights.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 28, 2015, 01:28:24 PM
an overly obsequious response as well (as in "hey look out how well voting for independence parties worked for us!"). 
any example of this?

It seems to me that since the Conservatives' way replaced the Liberal's hardline way, the seperatis movement has been weakened.  Sovereignty is below 30%* in polls and the PQ has been unable to obtain a majority since, only forming government once, when fatigue for the provincial Liberal government was very high.

Elect the NDP or the Liberals, and things could change quickly.

*26% of the population support the idea that the PQ should hold a referendum on independance: Link
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 28, 2015, 02:23:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 28, 2015, 01:28:24 PM
an overly obsequious response as well (as in "hey look out how well voting for independence parties worked for us!"). 
any example of this?

It seems to me that since the Conservatives' way replaced the Liberal's hardline way, the seperatis movement has been weakened.  Sovereignty is below 30%* in polls and the PQ has been unable to obtain a majority since, only forming government once, when fatigue for the provincial Liberal government was very high.

I don't think the Conservatives have been "hardlined".  They've mostly stayed out of QUebec provincial politics.

I was thinking more of Mulroney's efforts to do or say anything to get Quebec's signature on the Constitution, which blew up pretty spectacularly and led to soveregnists moment of near-victory.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

The party creed doesn't matter, what bolsters the separatist movement is centralization efforts.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 28, 2015, 02:29:47 PM
The party creed doesn't matter, what bolsters the separatist movement is centralization efforts.

Spain is rewriting its constitution no? Well there you go.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2015, 08:28:17 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 28, 2015, 02:29:47 PM

Spain is rewriting its constitution no? Well there you go.

Well, the crux of the question is in which direction the constitution will be rewritten. Decentralization needs reform, everybody agrees, it was sort of improvised and its badly designed in a lot of levels.  But getting everybody to agree to a model will be hard. Given the sectarianism that ravages our political arena, I can't see the kind of grand bargain that could smooth things out.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on September 29, 2015, 09:13:08 AM
Given the sectarianism that ravages our political arena, I can't see the kind of grand bargain that could smooth things out.

Pity.

Valmy

Why are they asking Cher anyway? She is Armenian not Catalonian.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2015, 09:16:46 AM

Because celebrities should only be asked their opinion if they are from that ethnic or country group?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2015, 09:46:33 AM

Because celebrities should only be asked their opinion if they are from that ethnic or country group?

It seems pretty out of the blue unless she has some kind of tie to the region.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2015, 09:46:33 AM

Being curious as to why is not the same as making a demand that nothing every happen garbon :lol: