News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Napoleonic Wars Thread

Started by Berkut, March 16, 2009, 01:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delirium

New file sent. Built a unit in Zagreb and moved Budapest to Vienna. We shall never surrender!
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

I don't have access to the board and box at work, so will play in an hour or so.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

The Swedes beefed up their interior forces and sallied their squadron to partially blockade Denmark.

Of course, the Danes are a bit too intelligent to fight a fair battle, so they've consequently jumped up their naval construction efforts for the following season.  Who knows, maybe they'll even challenge the Royal Navy...

Napoleon, meanwhile, has detached his largest regiments from the Grande Armee (leaving Davout to observe the Coalition forces), to take Salzburg, Dalmatia, Zagreb and, with any luck, pin down Charles in Italy to prevent the menace from growing worse.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Charles' measly forces decline interception, so Napoleon took Venice as well.

Off to Britain for the last card play of the turn.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Britain flagged Rome, and the turn ends.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

Off to Del's Austria to determine if they want to ditch a card for the peace roll.

Current VP count :

France : 3
Britain : 1
Austria : -1
Russia : 2
Prussia : 0.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

I don't believe anyone is in an uncontrlled duchy, are they?

Right now France is winning with 2 VPs. Nobody else has more than 1.

That means we are going to have a Peace die roll. If we roll a 6, then France wins the game. Everyone (other than gumbler since he is not in a camp) can now choose to commit a card from the next draw to reduce or increase that number. This choice happens in movements order, so Austria will have the first choice, then Russia, then France, then Britain.

France will likely burn a card to reduce the number, so we need to agree on 2 cards from all of us. Britain will certainly throw one in when it comes around to us, so we need 1 more card from Russia or Austria.

Right now, we are looking at:

France: 7 cards
Britain: 4 cards
Austria: 4 cards
Russia: 4 cards

I would suggest that Russia throw in a card, simply because his home card is worth 2 cards, effectively. But you two can argue it out amongst yourselves.

After that, we will go to the interphase, and grumbler will have the chance to join a camp.

Remember that all negotiation is public - private messages/emails between players is verboten.

Of course I would like Prussia to join the Coalition against France. We need the help badly with France in Habs hands. If you were to join the Coalition it is very likely that I would be able to send you Parliament for assitance, and I would not oppose you getting Turkey into your control.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

Naturally, I would also rather enjoy it if Prussia joined my side. 

The respective armies of the Coalition and the Grande Armee are rather evently-matched, aside from the dithering going on in Italy.  That will likely be resolved, but then what?  Prussia can break the deadlock on the ground by siding with either camp, but I think they stand the greatest chance of quick expansion if they assist me in knocking Austria down a peg.

Russia's primary leaders and armies are all tied down defending Austria while the border regions of Poland (keys : Lublin, Krakow, Warsaw) all sit undefended.  It is entirely likely that they will shift troops to defend them, of course, but they won't be able to slide too much that way for fear of tilting the balance against Napoleon.  With Prussia's relatively low card-count this turn, (they'll be drawing 2, get their reserve and perhaps be able to expend their resource to get a 4th card) they aren't going to be able to expend overly-much effort other than very close by.  With Breslau as a staging point, they could sweep along into the aforementioned spaces, whereas any attempt to gain French keys would be deflected by the home-guard under Soult--who is quite a bit better than most of Prussia's leaders.

This is my biased perspective, of course, but that's the case as I see it.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Keep in mind, grumbler, there is nothing actually requiring you to declare war this turn.  In fact, you could quite easily just spend this turn sitting on the sidelines and shifting the Turks into Pact status with you.  If you did that, you'd essentially double your hand and your army and buy yourself another VP--Pact status with a minor giving you 1 point.

Something to consider.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Indeed. I just played a game as France where  Prussia took just that strategy - I loved it and won easily.

France wins when the numbers are "even", because he moves faster, moves more troops, and has more cards, and can concentrate them more effectively.

IMO, France will win if Prussia fails to join the Coalition. They might win anyway.

0 rows returned

Delirium

Quote from: Berkut on March 27, 2009, 08:29:07 PM
I would suggest that Russia throw in a card, simply because his home card is worth 2 cards, effectively. But you two can argue it out amongst yourselves.

Hmm a bit tricky this, we might want to go on the offensive if Prussia joins our cause and in that case Russia would have to use his cards in Austria. On the other hand if Prussia attacks me (which they surely won't) I will need all my cards to defend myself. I would be willing to let the roll of a die determine this, 1-3 I do it, 4-6 Russia.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Delirium

Okay, okay, I'll sacrifice a card, as long as we get on with the game! Proceed to the next phase already!

Viking

when do I have to decide if I commit a card or not?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.