News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Debate #1

Started by jimmy olsen, August 04, 2015, 10:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2015, 11:29:21 PM
I'm still convinced that Trump is not serious about this.  I don't know what his angle is, whether it's a practical joke or a Clintons' trojan horse, but it's something other than a serious campaign.
:yes:  I think it's the latter.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on August 11, 2015, 12:16:01 PM
No it isn't.

It isn't even a little bit reasonable.

It is, in fact, almost exactly the opposite of reasonable. It is demonizing, dishonest, and basically exactly what is wrong with political discourse - the attempt to define those who disagree with you as having views they categorically deny and in fact are almost exactly the opposite of the views they actually do have.
There aren't a lot of politicians who openly admit to having once courted racists, so categorical denials don't have much value.  Ron Paul doesn't really have a good plausible explanation for his newsletters;  it's either bigotry, extreme reckless aloofness, or cynicism.  I think cynicism is the most reasonable explanation in his case.

Valmy

Maybe. But he is retired now and his son wasn't involved with the newsletters. Paul's views are radical enough that I think one can attack him easily enough without that one incident.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2015, 12:27:20 PM
Maybe. But he is retired now and his son wasn't involved with the newsletters. Paul's views are radical enough that I think one can attack him easily enough without that one incident.
I agree, but we're talking about his coming across as a gentleman.  He may have outgrown these newsletters now, but they don't paint him in that good of a light regardless.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2015, 12:33:09 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2015, 12:27:20 PM
I agree, but we're talking about his coming across as a gentleman.  He may have outgrown these newsletters now, but they don't paint him in that good of a light regardless.

The newsletters became public after he was a national figure. My impression is that there was racist stuff under his name, he repudiated it and said he had no knowledge, since he has always been a sideshow I gave him the benefit of the doubt--I'm really only vaguely aware of the newsletters. Had he actually been a contender for the presidency I'm sure this would have been a significant issue and fully vetted.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2015, 12:25:12 PM
No it isn't.

It is, in fact, almost exactly the opposite of reasonable. It is demonizing, dishonest, and basically exactly what is wrong with political discourse - the attempt to define those who disagree with you as having views they categorically deny and in fact are almost exactly the opposite of the views they actually do have.
There aren't a lot of politicians who openly admit to having once courted racists, so categorical denials don't have much value.  Ron Paul doesn't really have a good plausible explanation for his newsletters;  it's either bigotry, extreme reckless aloofness, or cynicism.  I think cynicism is the most reasonable explanation in his case.

I am not talking about Paul, but about the generalization that it is "reasonable" to paint libertarians in general as racists and supporting of apartheid.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on August 11, 2015, 01:08:16 PM
I am not talking about Paul, but about the generalization that it is "reasonable" to paint libertarians in general as racists and supporting of apartheid.
Okay, I see it now.  I was just commenting on the last sentence that concerned Paul.

That said, I do also agree with the other parts, especially if you pay attention to the tense.  Libertarians now may be associated with young males that overestimate their intelligence and understanding of the world, but until that became a big thing, a large portion of libertarians wanted less government because it began to infringe on their freedom to discriminate.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2015, 01:30:03 PM
Okay, I see it now.  I was just commenting on the last sentence that concerned Paul.

That said, I do also agree with the other parts, especially if you pay attention to the tense.  Libertarians now may be associated with young males that overestimate their intelligence and understanding of the world, but until that became a big thing, a large portion of libertarians wanted less government because it began to infringe on their freedom to discriminate.

Yeah, that is just as much bullshit as anything Raz has said.

"A large portion"? How large? Apparently large enough that you are ok with making conclusions about people who ONLY identify as "libertarian" and their views on race and racism.

Evidence? Survey? Data? Anything?

Absent some kind of actual evidence, I am pretty sure this is just your desire to believe something about those you don't agree with, and not much intellectual integrity on your part to constrain what you wish was true to just things that you actually have evidence for...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2015, 12:25:12 PM
No it isn't.

I said there is there has been a strong element of racism in that ideology, and used a major luminary of libertarian thought and the position of the flagship magazine on apartheid to support that.  I didn't say that all libertarians are racist.  I said that some have been, and there probably still are.  I would say that racism is less a part of it now, but they still get a decent amount or racists.  Now, Rothbard is dead, but if you want a living libertarian writer I can suggest Charles Murray or Lew Rockwell.  Murray wrote the Bell Curve and Lew Rockwell is accused of writing that news letters for Ron Paul.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on August 11, 2015, 01:49:51 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2015, 01:30:03 PM

"A large portion"? How large? Apparently large enough that you are ok with making conclusions about people who ONLY identify as "libertarian" and their views on race and racism.

Absent some kind of actual evidence, I am pretty sure this is just your desire to believe something about those you don't agree with, and not much intellectual integrity on your part to constrain what you wish was true to just things that you actually have evidence for...

Would you like those articles from Reason magazine?

http://www.unz.org/Pub/Reason-1976may-00032?View=PDF
http://www.unz.org/Pub/Reason-1977apr-00038?View=PDF
http://www.unz.org/Pub/Reason-1977apr-00038?View=PDF

Here's some stuff about Rothbard.

http://holocaustcontroversies.blogspot.com/2010/07/murray-rothbard-lew-rockwell-and.html
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

*shrug* There are racists in both the Republican and Democratic parties too, but that doesn't make them 'racist' parties.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Ooh, it's Berkut in heat again.  I guess it's that time of the year where you build up yourself up by attempting to tear down other people.  Go fuck yourself, I refuse to dignify this with a substantive response.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on August 11, 2015, 12:18:30 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2015, 11:29:21 PM
I'm still convinced that Trump is not serious about this.  I don't know what his angle is, whether it's a practical joke or a Clintons' trojan horse, but it's something other than a serious campaign.
:yes:  I think it's the latter.

All of the righties I know think he's a Clinton plant.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

There has been one candidate for president that was really libertarian--Barry Goldwater.

I ask you to review the states he carried, and the year of the election, and reflect if this was just a coincidence.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

Presumably, if you want to be a racist, you'll pick an ideology that allows you to do so. Whether that makes the one you pick a racist one is another question, but still.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers