News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mao: How Bad was Bad?

Started by Queequeg, August 12, 2015, 12:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

In 1940 Western Europe combined would be higher than the US, yes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 14, 2015, 12:35:25 PM
In 1940 Western Europe combined would be higher than the US, yes.

January or December?  Cause a lot of Western Europe came under new ownership that year.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

My point was that in August 1939 Germany's belief that they had the human and industrial capacity to take Europe wasn't unrealistic. They came really close. If they'd just been Bonapartist jerks rather than genocide-happy maniacs they might have done it.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Minsky Moment

The figure for Western Europe includes the UK; take out the UK and it's about even for 1940.  Add the UK to the US and Canada and there is a big gap again.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Queequeg on August 14, 2015, 02:13:33 PM
My point was that in August 1939 Germany's belief that they had the human and industrial capacity to take Europe wasn't unrealistic. They came really close. If they'd just been Bonapartist jerks rather than genocide-happy maniacs they might have done it.

You should read the Adam Tooze book if you haven't already.
I think it's more accurate to say that by 1937 the German economic model was unsustainable absent successful conquests, peaceful or otherwise.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: Queequeg on August 14, 2015, 02:13:33 PM
My point was that in August 1939 Germany's belief that they had the human and industrial capacity to take Europe wasn't unrealistic.

We understand that that was your point.  We also understand that you are incorrect.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ideologue on August 12, 2015, 12:19:06 PM
Quote from: Norgy on August 12, 2015, 03:48:39 AM
Their most positive contribution probably was prior to gaining full control in 1949. And the one-child policy isn't as bad as some seem to think.

The One Child Policy should be the law of Earth.

Of all the people on the forum, I would not have thought you'd be in favor of the infanticide of Asian girls.  :sleep:

Monoriu

We need more humans on Earth.  Many billions more. 

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on August 14, 2015, 09:38:47 PM
We need more humans on Earth.  Many billions more. 
No thanks.
Maybe a billion less than current numbers. But better distributed.
██████
██████
██████

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 14, 2015, 02:26:58 PM
You should read the Adam Tooze book if you haven't already.
I think it's more accurate to say that by 1937 the German economic model was unsustainable absent successful conquests, peaceful or otherwise.

That makes sense.  By 1937 Hitler was well on his path towards "Greater Germany".  Supercharging the economy in anticipation of the expansion was only logical.

It's what any half-decent HOI player does. :P