News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mao: How Bad was Bad?

Started by Queequeg, August 12, 2015, 12:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

1) I'm guessing that all of Western and Central Europe combined would have had a higher GDP than the US.
2) The Reich was able to draw on the human resources of the best educated people on the planet.  The KMT ruled over many, many more Chinese people than the Japanese did Japanese people, but the KMT basically destroyed itself butting its head in to the IJA because the leadership and industrial capacity wasn't there.
3) I don't think the US and Canada were "way ahead" of Germany in all respects even in 1928.  Germany had a much larger peasant population, and was substantially less developed than we think of it today, but it was still, as I said, able to draw on a depth of human talent and military tradition that no one else could.  Even some of our best scientists, engineers and artists were exiled Germans.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on August 13, 2015, 11:46:36 AM
1) I'm guessing that all of Western and Central Europe combined would have had a higher GDP than the US.
2) The Reich was able to draw on the human resources of the best educated people on the planet.  The KMT ruled over many, many more Chinese people than the Japanese did Japanese people, but the KMT basically destroyed itself butting its head in to the IJA because the leadership and industrial capacity wasn't there.
3) I don't think the US and Canada were "way ahead" of Germany in all respects even in 1928.  Germany had a much larger peasant population, and was substantially less developed than we think of it today, but it was still, as I said, able to draw on a depth of human talent and military tradition that no one else could.  Even some of our best scientists, engineers and artists were exiled Germans.

No, the US was away ahead of Germany by 1928.  The US had surpassed both the UK and Germany before WWI and the devastation form those wars set Europe back tremendously.  I remember reading that Germany industrial output in WWII didn't even match the output of Germany in WWI.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Queequeg on August 13, 2015, 11:46:36 AM

I was really honing in on the "wealthiest" part.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_regions_by_past_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

The charts here frustrating either leave out the interwar period, or in the chart that includes it, the US.

But in the chart with the US, you can see:

Country                1913       1950
Germany              $3,648    $3,881
Western Europe   $3,457    $4,578
US                        $5,301    $9,561

So in 1913, an average german national would need a 45% increase in purchasing power to equal the average American, and in 1950 246%.

FWIW, using the data in a lower chart, the 1938 value for Germany was $5,528. There isn't an easy way to derive the American value, but you can see the trend in US growth and that is not significantly above where the US was way back in 1913.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

Germany was certainly poorer and had less human capital than the US at its foundation in 1870 and ever after. How is that even a question...?

Zanza

Quote from: Razgovory on August 13, 2015, 12:01:31 PMI remember reading that Germany industrial output in WWII didn't even match the output of Germany in WWI.
I doubt that. Industry was considerably more developed and Germany did not use tens of millions of slaves in WW1 to support its industry.

The Minsky Moment

In 1950 US GDP was greater than all of Western Europe (including Germany, Austria, Med, Scandinavia, etc) combined. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

1928: per capita GDP in Germany was 4090 in 1990 dollars, putting Germany behind France, UK, Benelux, Denmark.

US was at 6569, i.e. more than 50% greater.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 13, 2015, 07:08:39 PM
In 1950 US GDP was greater than all of Western Europe (including Germany, Austria, Med, Scandinavia, etc) combined.

Queeq says you are wrong, and by a "wide margin."  I'll believe the guy who is so adamant.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

In 1945 US GDP was equal to the rest of the world combined.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Admiral Yi

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on August 13, 2015, 01:18:11 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 13, 2015, 12:01:31 PMI remember reading that Germany industrial output in WWII didn't even match the output of Germany in WWI.
I doubt that. Industry was considerably more developed and Germany did not use tens of millions of slaves in WW1 to support its industry.

It was run by incompetents though and didn't go into full war production until 1943.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 13, 2015, 07:08:39 PM
That's after the war.  I'd bet the numbers look a bit more similar in 1940. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."