News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mao: How Bad was Bad?

Started by Queequeg, August 12, 2015, 12:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

I'm reading Mao: The Untold Story.

I'd always thought of the Chinese Communists prior to Deng as, well, almost entirely terrible in a way that even the Stalinists weren't, but reading this he seems, well, almost over the top.  It's obviously polemical, but just by the facts he's reaching Reinhard Heydrich levels of non-banal evil and it's, well, actually kind of surprising.

Is this book just completely biased?  Did the Chinese Communists do...anything positive prior to the fall of the Gang of Four?  Was Mao some kind of psychopath? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Martinus

It could be a cultural thing - Chinese Emperors were also quite known for their cruelty, that would make most medieval European monarchs wince.

Norgy

Their most positive contribution probably was prior to gaining full control in 1949. And the one-child policy isn't as bad as some seem to think.

Razgovory

Well they did end the warlord era and restore some national pride.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on August 12, 2015, 04:07:53 AM
Well they did end the warlord era and restore some national pride.

Technically they have not yet achieved the job of unifying China, as another player is still kinda in the game. 

grumbler

The position of women in Chinese society was incredibly poor prior to the Communist takeover (no voice in whom to marry, no right to divorce, no right to inherit, no ability to own property, to vote, no education outside the upper classes, etc).  The CCP did fix that.

I think that the most interesting feature of The Untold Story (which I have not read, but which I have used as a reference work) is the extent to which Mao appears to have been a sadist.  That's a much harder legacy to overcome than simply being a brute.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on August 12, 2015, 06:35:32 AM
The position of women in Chinese society was incredibly poor prior to the Communist takeover (no voice in whom to marry, no right to divorce, no right to inherit, no ability to own property, to vote, no education outside the upper classes, etc).  The CCP did fix that.
No right to keep feet unbroken as well.

Josquius

He was more crap than evil evil. He's not up there with Stalin and hitler.
██████
██████
██████

Norgy

Quote from: Tyr on August 12, 2015, 07:24:40 AM

Death tolls disagree with you.

Queequeg

As Norgy said, Mao killed more people and during a time of peace.  He also seems to have been comfortable with sadism on a personal level in a way that neither Stalin nor Hitler was.  He seems a lot less human than Stalin and a lot less pitiable than Hitler.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

While I knew that basically I still found it almost comically vile that he took the failure of the Great Leap Forward as a personal attack and launched the Cultural Revolution as revenge. As if reality would have to be held responsible for his loss of face.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2015, 10:48:20 AM
While I knew that basically I still found it almost comically vile that he took the failure of the Great Leap Forward as a personal attack and launched the Cultural Revolution as revenge. As if reality would have to be held responsible for his loss of face.

IIRC it was more than just personal vindication but a political power play.  There is a reason Liu and Deng were early casualties.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Quote from: Norgy on August 12, 2015, 10:38:01 AM

No they don't. They agree with me perfectly.
Most dead under him were down to incompetence, starvation, crazy kids going out of control, etc... not death camps or efforts at world domination.
██████
██████
██████

Queequeg

TBH reading this makes Deng's accomplishment a lot more successful.  He's like Adenauer if Adenauer had taken power in 1960 Germany after a Nazi victory.  How he came out of this political culture is astonishing. 

Queequeg

Quote from: Tyr on August 12, 2015, 11:53:17 AM
Quote from: Norgy on August 12, 2015, 10:38:01 AM

No they don't. They agree with me perfectly.
Most dead under him were down to incompetence, starvation, crazy kids going out of control, etc... not death camps or efforts at world domination.
This was peacetime.

If you read a lot of the Nazi self-justification of the Holocaust, it was initially inspired by the idea that the Jews were biological enemies of the Reich and that their physical destruction was essential for the war effort, and later on as a kind of punishment for their role in what was increasingly obviously going to be the destruction of the Reich.  By contrast Mao should have presided over unprecedented prosperity after an uninterrupted century of madness and destruction, with China unified and free of both Manchu and Western oppression.  Instead the average Chinese person was worse off when Mao was dying than they were when the Japanese left.