News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Debate #1

Started by jimmy olsen, August 04, 2015, 10:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2015, 05:53:37 PM
There's nothing at all about the core libertarian belief that individual freedom is the highest good and should be as unconstrained as possible that leads inevitably to racism.
No, there isn't.  Although if there is an existing discrimination problem, the theory that under libertarian rule it will be solved by economic disincentives to continue discriminating is perched solidly in la-la-land.  Then again, many libertarian conclusions are. 

And then there is the concept of federalism which is often passed off as libertarianism, which is very selective about which government should be made less powerful.

MadImmortalMan

I really don't think libertarian modes of governance are particularly aimed at solving the majority of society's problems. I'm guessing racism is one that falls within that group. I mean, they'd probably be mad at you if you lynched a black guy, but only because you lynched him, not because you're a racist shitface.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Also Carly Fiorina's record as a CEO isn't exactly the thing you want on your resume. But she seems to be doing pretty well in Iowa.

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 11, 2015, 07:32:50 PM
Also Carly Fiorina's record as a CEO isn't exactly the thing you want on your resume. But she seems to be doing pretty well in Iowa.
It surprises me how rarely it's brought up when she's discussed.  Carly running on her CEO credentials is like Lloyd Fredendall running on his military credentials.

Valmy

They want somebody who will run the government like a business, it does not have to be a successful business.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2015, 07:58:16 PM
They want somebody who will run the government like a business, it does not have to be a successful business.
:XD:

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 11, 2015, 07:32:50 PM

If you want a CEO type to be president, she may be the best bet. It is unlikely you are going to get a really top tier one to run.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on August 11, 2015, 09:41:11 PM
If you want a CEO type to be president, she may be the best bet. It is unlikely you are going to get a really top tier one to run.

The good ones won't take the pay cut.  ;)

Tonitrus

I had a glimmer of hope that Howard Schultz might run and pre-empt Hillary.  :(

President Starbucks?  We could conquer the globe with overpriced, mediocre coffee.

Martinus

Incidentally, was gay marriage a big thing during the debate? I am curious whether this is still being milked politically by GOP or is abandoned as a lost cause?

Martinus

There's nothing at all about the core libertarian belief that individual freedom is the highest good and should be as unconstrained as possible that leads inevitably to racism.

Racism, like most prejudices (homophobia, islamophobia, antisemitism) could be seen as an expression of the natural human tendency to fear the other (xenophobia). You need active social engineering and you need to curb certain freedoms (e.g. freedom to express your prejudice in speech, freedom to instill your prejudice in your children, or freedom to discriminate based on your prejudice) to combat that. So I would say that standard government measures to curb racism are directly opposed to the core libertarian belief.

In other words, whilst libertarianism is not inherently racist, in an ideal libertarian society racism would flourish.

You could say that libertarianism - like communism or anarcho-syndicalism - is one of those systems that work well on paper when you assume human beings not acting like selfish prejudiced assholes. That is rarely the case.

Eddie Teach

The only mention I've heard (not having seen the debates) was Kasich saying he accepted the court's decision.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 11, 2015, 05:23:40 PM
Suffragettes were also notorious racists who supported eugenics.  Conclusion: oppose feminism and the woman's right to vote.

Yeah, but they weren't doing their thing in the 1970's and 1980's, besides the Pro-life lobby makes a very big thing of how Margret Sanger was a racist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I'm not sure that is the core belief of libertarianism.  The core belief appears to be freedom from government, particularly federal government.  Freedom from starvation doesn't seem to be big on their to do list.  Freedom from discrimination isn't big on their list either.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on August 12, 2015, 04:01:01 AM

I'm not sure that is the core belief of libertarianism.  The core belief appears to be freedom from government, particularly federal government.  Freedom from starvation doesn't seem to be big on their to do list.  Freedom from discrimination isn't big on their list either.

Well, as I said, libertarianism is about freedom from government action - it is not about freedom from negative social or biological phenomena. So, I would presume libertarianism would be against government-sanctioned racism (e.g. apartheid) but it would also oppose government actions aimed at combating racism.