GOP Primary Debate #1

Started by jimmy olsen, August 04, 2015, 10:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2015, 03:02:12 PM
Man it was all but unanimous in Mississippi LOL

Barry Goldwater William Miller           Republican   356,528   87.14%
Lyndon Johnson Hubert Humphrey   Democratic   52,618   12.86%

You don't see stuff like that outside of DC these days.

If you kept black people from voting, I think you would see similar votes today in some places. Maybe not quite as extreme, but close. Some southern states come in consistently ~55%ish republican, but they are like 40% minority. By race, they are very polarized.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on August 11, 2015, 03:32:00 PM
If you kept black people from voting, I think you would see similar votes today in some places. Maybe not quite as extreme, but close. Some southern states come in consistently ~55%ish republican, but they are like 40% minority. By race, they are very polarized.

Yeah I noticed after I posted that that the voter turnout was 28%.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2015, 03:13:26 PM
How would you distinguish the two?

One major difference would be attitudes toward law enforcement. The libertarian will want lots of safeguards to ensure that police aren't abusing their power. The federalist from convenience will assert that innocent people have nothing to fear.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 11, 2015, 03:31:28 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 11, 2015, 02:53:44 PM
There has been one candidate for president that was really libertarian--Barry Goldwater.

I ask you to review the states he carried, and the year of the election, and reflect if this was just a coincidence.

The LBJ states were anti-Semitic.

Libertarians are holocaust deniers.

Well, a lot of them anyway. At least in the past. Most of them.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2015, 03:30:39 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 11, 2015, 03:27:14 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2015, 03:23:40 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 11, 2015, 03:03:19 PM
Is asking for evidence for your claims "tear down other people"?
Asking by an unprovoked attack?  Most definitely.  So go fuck yourself, I have grown very tired of you and your shtick.

Only when my demand for actual evidence to justify rampant bigotry is aimed at you and your bigotry - otherwise, I am sure my "schtick" is just fine with you.

You are the one making an onerous and revolting claim about people who would, had you the integrity and simpel courtesy to ask them, vehemently deny your characterization. It is telling that when challenged you refuse to provide ANY evidence for you claim, and instead pretend to be offended by the demand, and start spewing vulgarities instead of responses.
Okay, you got me.

The sad part is that you will keep on doing it anyway. Even when you are proven to be wrong.

Prove me wrong this time - start thinking before you post grossly  offensive generalizations (even if they are about people who (HORRORS) disagree with you) that anyone with even a nominally functioning bullshit detector would catch before they spew it forth.

0 rows returned

Valmy

You sure? Because they like to point out that the Holocaust was a result of Statism.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2015, 03:52:26 PM
You sure? Because they like to point out that the Holocaust was a result of Statism.

Also the stop of it.  Has libertarianism actually accomplished anything?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

This is actually kind of funny.  Raz makes a statement about libertarians, which Dguller agrees with.  This makes Berkut mad and he demands evidence.  Raz provides evidence but Berkut won't respond to it, because he's ignoring Raz.  Dguller gets mad and now won't respond to Berkut.  So we have this bizarre triangle or ignoring and raging.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Please Raz, quit being so proud of yourself. You of course provided no evidence at all - anyone can click on any of the articles you linked, and see that to whatever extent Reason magazine "supported" Apartheid (and casting it in those terms is grossly dishonest), it was in opposition to the threat of Communism, not out of any love for racism. And the one article I bothered to read made that 100% crystal clear, and in fact decried the treatment of blacks rather clearly.

Links to articles are not evidence  - you have to actually pull the statements from the articles that support your claim. Citing an entire article that isn't even about racism doesn't cut it.

0 rows returned

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2015, 04:03:52 PMHas libertarianism actually accomplished anything?

I doubt it. Who has ever put one of them in charge of anything?  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 11, 2015, 04:23:13 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2015, 04:03:52 PMHas libertarianism actually accomplished anything?

I doubt it. Who has ever put one of them in charge of anything?  :lol:
Gary Johnson was a two-term governor.

Habbaku

We all know how much of a racist he was.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

The Brain

I don't know what libertarianism means in the context of this thread.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.