And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Debate #1

Started by jimmy olsen, August 04, 2015, 10:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 08, 2015, 04:17:37 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 08, 2015, 06:32:29 AM
Donald Trump commenting on tough questioning by a female panelist during the debate: "You could just see the blood coming out of her eyes. The blood coming out of her...wherever."  :shutup:

I think this is the comment that really hurts Trump. If not, I guess nothing will, and I look forward to his AARs from summits involving Angela Merkel.

There's been some backlash. He got uninvited from some conservative forum event.
http://news.yahoo.com/gop-candidates-ride-debate-momentum-redstate-activists-065328361--election.html

I like how everyone just assumes he meant the vag'.  Listening to the original context, I don't think the way he said it implies that...it was just a throw-away "wherever".  Not that I am defending his gentlemanliness.  The dude is still obnoxious.

garbon

He said he meant nose and ears. :rolleyes:

I think he should have doubled down and said yes you geniuses managed to figure out that I meant menstruation, some women are crazy when that happens.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on August 09, 2015, 09:21:25 PM

I think he should have doubled down and said yes you geniuses managed to figure out that I meant menstruation, some women are crazy when that happens.

Agreed.  He might as well.  Hell, if he was stupid enough to say what he said, he is stupid enough to double down on misogyny. :rolleyes:

It's not like it is going to cost him any votes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Women don't menstruate from their eyes.  It's clear to me he was going for some kind of pyscho banshee metaphor, not a woman on the rag.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 09, 2015, 09:57:19 PM
Women don't menstruate from their eyes.  It's clear to me he was going for some kind of pyscho banshee metaphor, not a woman on the rag.

Well, this is where his "know-nothing" image hurts him.  He can't maintain that image and still be expected, at least in the eyes of the media, to be competent in the anatomy of menstruation.

Either way, the fundamental problem I see with his comment is that, let's face it, Fox made him a viable candidate, and in attacking Megyn Kelly, he went after one of the most public faces of Fox.  It's a classic example of "got too big for his britches."  In one fell swoop, he just proved to every potential backer that he absolutely fails at politics (which is as much about the perception as the reality of the situation).
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

Eh, I don't think Fox cares overmuch as long as he's drawing ratings.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Having finally watched the actual comment, I think that is possible. What I don't understand though is where all the vitriol toward Megyn Kelly comes from. I didn't watch the debate, but it seems fox has been getting high marks by asking tough questions of all the candidates. He is running for president after all.

What I really loved about the tape I saw of the comments is that at the beginning of his rant, Trump mentioned that he wasn't being paid to be at the debate.  :lol:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tonitrus

Trump really just loves to give his opinion of individuals he encounters.

Heck, most of the amusement value in electing him President will be his commentary on various world leaders.  :P

alfred russel

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 09, 2015, 10:33:40 PM

Well, this is where his "know-nothing" image hurts him.  He can't maintain that image and still be expected, at least in the eyes of the media, to be competent in the anatomy of menstruation.

Either way, the fundamental problem I see with his comment is that, let's face it, Fox made him a viable candidate, and in attacking Megyn Kelly, he went after one of the most public faces of Fox.  It's a classic example of "got too big for his britches."  In one fell swoop, he just proved to every potential backer that he absolutely fails at politics (which is as much about the perception as the reality of the situation).

I don't think Fox made him a viable candidate. To the extent he ever has become a viable candidate, it has been in spite of the republican establishment, which is scared of him--and fox is a part of the establishment.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on August 09, 2015, 11:45:35 PM
and fox is a part of the establishment.

I'm not so sure. The Republican establishment wants to win. Fox wants people watching. Thus they propagate the narrative that McCain and Romney lost because they didn't enthuse the base enough.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 09, 2015, 11:45:10 PM

Heck, most of the amusement value in electing him President will be his commentary on various world leaders.  :P

As I said, I can't wait for President Trump to visit Beijing  :lol:

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on August 10, 2015, 01:08:29 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on August 09, 2015, 11:45:10 PM

As I said, I can't wait for President Trump to visit Beijing  :lol:
can't be worst than Jean Chrétien.  Canada could give a few pointers to the US on how to elect morons at official positions.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

I was in Colombia again last week.  The Colombians call Trump "El Maduro de Los Estados Unidos."

He should try to win the Hispanic vote with that: Donald Trump un caudillo norteamericano
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Except that bleeding eyes is known as metaphor for angry disgust (as we have here). Someone bleeding from eyes, nose and ears isn't a sign of a psychotic person - more just a person suffering from internal hemorraghing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.