News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Debate #1

Started by jimmy olsen, August 04, 2015, 10:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on August 07, 2015, 05:30:41 AM
Mr. Trump, famously, is a "birther" — someone who has questioned whether President Obama was born in the United States. But is that any worse than Scott Walker's declaration that he isn't sure whether the president is a Christian?

Yes. It is a verifiable fact. Only Obama himself (and perhaps God) knows if Obama is a Christian.

Mr. Trump's declared intention to deport all illegal immigrants is definitely extreme, and would require deep violations of civil liberties. But are there any defenders of civil liberties in the modern G.O.P.? Notice how eagerly Rand Paul, self-described libertarian, has joined in the witch hunt against Planned Parenthood.

Cause organizations not getting federal money is a deprival of their civil rights.  :huh:

Way to oversell.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

lustindarkness

You know what would have made the debate more entertaining? If all the GOP candidates combined into a mega transformer giant robot and it stomped Hillary in the middle of the stage.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on August 07, 2015, 08:59:59 AM
Krugman writes an opinion piece attacking the GOP -- shocking!

I think he makes some interesting points, but throws out too many obviously bullshit "facts" to support them and so ruins his case.  McCain isn't an extremist, and to be unsure of a man's true religious beliefs isn't an outrageous position to take.  In fact, I'd argue this Krugman piece is the very definition of, as he says it, " the strategy of sounding moderate while taking extreme positions."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Liep

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 07, 2015, 09:17:20 AM
You know what would have made the debate more entertaining? If all the GOP candidates combined into a mega transformer giant robot and it stomped Hillary in the middle of the stage.

THE GOP RAT KING! :o
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Kasich just kept saying over and over again how he balanced the budget when he was in Congress.  As I recall, the President at the time had the last name of "Clinton".

Kasich did come across as personable and human but the substance wasn't very impressive.

I thought Jeb came across as quite articulate and sensible, which is probably bad news for his candidacy.

On my eyes Rubio was the main winner in terms of looking personable and Presidential and distinguishing himself from the pack, although his backing away from rape/incest exceptions on abortion is  :wacko: to me, as a non-GOP primary voter.  The GOP has to do much better with women and that brand of nonsense doesn't play well in the general.

Overall it looks like the strategy is all these guys are scrambling to grab a core of support so they can wait out as attrition thins the field.  Paul is playing to his father's cult, Christie is going after the hard national security crowd, Cruz for what used to called "movement conservatives", Jeb and Kasich for the segment that can speak in complete sentences over a 10th grade reading level, Carson for former conjoined twins.  Rubio and Walker are still going for broad appeal - risky in this crowded field but either or both could pull it out.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Clinton was no stranger to congress. :perv:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

On foreign policy at various points the candidates stated that they would or would have gone mano-a-mano with ISIS, Al Qaeda, Assad, Iran and "terrorists". Put it together and the US would be somewhere in the middle of Syria at war with every single faction.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Man, Rand Paul took quite a drubbing.  I personally fall squarely on the side of Paul when it comes to surveillance, and I think people like Christie are dangerous and despicable.  But damn, he got taken to the woodshed there (and then got stepped on by Trump as he was writhing on the ground spitting out his teeth).

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 07, 2015, 12:34:50 PM
On foreign policy at various points the candidates stated that they would or would have gone mano-a-mano with ISIS, Al Qaeda, Assad, Iran and "terrorists". Put it together and the US would be somewhere in the middle of Syria at war with every single faction.

Now I want to play SpecOps: The Line again. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on August 07, 2015, 12:35:07 PM
Man, Rand Paul took quite a drubbing.  I personally fall squarely on the side of Paul when it comes to surveillance, and I think people like Christie are dangerous and despicable.  But damn, he got taken to the woodshed there (and then got stepped on by Trump as he was writhing on the ground spitting out his teeth).

Not as bad as his father did on Morton Downey Jr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCxDrfs4GtM
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on August 07, 2015, 01:13:55 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 07, 2015, 12:35:07 PM

Not as bad as his father did on Morton Downey Jr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCxDrfs4GtM
How did he look bad, other than by the fact that he even appeared on such a trashy show?  I didn't watch the whole thing, though.

P.S.  After watching the first minute of this video, I googled Morton Downey Jr to see if he managed to avoid lung cancer.  Predictably enough, he didn't.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on August 07, 2015, 01:26:49 PM

How did he look bad, other than by the fact that he even appeared on such a trashy show?  I didn't watch the whole thing, though.

P.S.  After watching the first minute of this video, I googled Morton Downey Jr to see if he managed to avoid lung cancer.  Predictably enough, he didn't.

I watched that clip a long time ago, and what I most remember is Downey saying very close to Paul's face, "If you were in the white house, I would vomit!" and the crowd chanting "USA! USA!" and then Paul getting cut off a bunch of times while trying to talk.

It isn't like he got beat on a conventional debate scoring system or anything, but no one is elevated by that sort of experience. The people on with Paul also looked like goofballs.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 07, 2015, 12:34:50 PM

Yeah, they're just saying what they have to say in order not to sound soft on terrorism.  Trying to score cheap political points with the base, or at least not be the one who stands out for not doing enough saber-rattling.

Surprised how many people tuned in to watch last night.  I missed it because it was empanada night at my favorite brewery :Embarrass:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Quote from: derspiess on August 07, 2015, 01:48:22 PM
Surprised how many people tuned in to watch last night.  I missed it because it was empanada night at my favorite brewery :Embarrass:

One good empanada is better than all the candidates put together. :thumbsup:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom