Who would you vote if the 2016 election is Trump vs. Sanders

Started by jimmy olsen, August 03, 2015, 11:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you vote if the 2016 election is Trump vs. Sanders?

American - I'd vote for Trump
11 (13.8%)
American - I'd vote for Sanders
27 (33.8%)
American - I'd vote for a right wing third party candidate
2 (2.5%)
American - I'd vote for a left wing third party candidate
2 (2.5%)
Euro and Friends - I'd vote for Trump
8 (10%)
Euro and Friends - I'd vote for Sanders
25 (31.3%)
Euro and Friends - I'd vote for a right wing third party candidate
1 (1.3%)
Euro and Friends - I'd vote for a left wing third party candidate
4 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Maladict

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 22, 2016, 03:10:48 AM
I'm kinda curious about the Hindus in Guyana.

Guyana and Suriname have a high percentage of Hindus and Muslims. They were brought over by the Dutch and British from India and Java to work on the plantations.

Duque de Bragança

Josquius

Yeah. Lots of Indians in the carribean  (which Guyana and Suriname pretty much are)
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Jaron on January 22, 2016, 03:07:28 AM
there should be lots of Latin American dots all over US now :P

What about Latin American AOEs?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Nah, we turn the kids into Tims and Jarons.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 22, 2016, 05:13:57 AM

Nah, we turn the kids into Tims and Jarons.  :P
You could have had Sophia Vegara.
Instead you have Tim.
FOR SHAME AMERICA. For shame!
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on January 22, 2016, 01:33:44 AM
This is how Huntington divided civilizations. His work may have been flawed, but he was probably more knowledgeable on the subject than anyone here:

Obviously if you are going to include all those groups, Latin America is going to fall into the "Latin American" cultural grouping. I don't think the dispute is whether there is a cultural connection between the countries of Latin America (and to an extent Portugal and Spain), but whether that subgrouping should be included as western.

My point of view is that a grouping that leaves Greece outside of the western cultural grouping is a bit too granular.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Well right...are Portugal and Brazil not part of the same civilization? That seems weird no?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on January 22, 2016, 09:42:09 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 22, 2016, 01:33:44 AM
This is how Huntington divided civilizations. His work may have been flawed, but he was probably more knowledgeable on the subject than anyone here:

Obviously if you are going to include all those groups, Latin America is going to fall into the "Latin American" cultural grouping. I don't think the dispute is whether there is a cultural connection between the countries of Latin America (and to an extent Portugal and Spain), but whether that subgrouping should be included as western.

My point of view is that a grouping that leaves Greece outside of the western cultural grouping is a bit too granular.

I think you guys are underestimating the Latin vs. Orthodox divide. Ancient Greece was definitely a part of the Western civilization, modern not so much.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on January 22, 2016, 01:49:44 AM
:lol:
In Asia: "Sinic", "Buddhist", "Japanese", ...
In non-Islamic Africa: "African"

Well that's Huntington for you.
One the dumbest smart guys out there.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on January 22, 2016, 10:02:45 AM

I think you guys are underestimating the Latin vs. Orthodox divide. Ancient Greece was definitely a part of the Western civilization, modern not so much.

What makes it Western? And if it's the origin of Western what is the origin of Orthodox?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on January 21, 2016, 11:40:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 21, 2016, 11:35:08 PM

Ok, so when we talk about the west we will be sure to remember you immediately think  - El Salvador

I rarely think about El Salvador in any context.

But you really don't think of Argentina, Chile, and Brazil as western countries?

No, I have never thought of them that way.  South American countries yes.  Western?  No.  Typically when someone talks about Western Countries they are talking about the US, Canada and Europe.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on January 22, 2016, 09:59:22 AM
Well right...are Portugal and Brazil not part of the same civilization? That seems weird no?

If we are going to count colonizers then is South Africa "Western"?

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 22, 2016, 11:53:02 AM

So the United States and Canada are not "Western" then? And I think the reasons that South Africa and Brazil are different situations are obvious.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on January 22, 2016, 12:01:55 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 22, 2016, 11:53:02 AM

So the United States and Canada are not "Western" then? And I think the reasons that South Africa and Brazil are different situations are obvious.

Sometimes you dont actually read the thread before posting, so I will assume you are not wilfully taking me out of context.  Go back to what I said is considered Western.  And really are you just arguing for shits and giggles or do you actually think of Brazil when people refer to Western countries.