News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Any Languish vegetarians?

Started by Martinus, July 30, 2015, 02:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

:D

Yeah, I could 'do' paleo, I think, and lately alot of our meals have been low carb, but I CAN NOT give up beer, ever.  In fact I put 30 cans of Miller in the beer fridge this afternoon.  :showoff:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

katmai

Quote from: Caliga on August 08, 2015, 07:57:19 PM
:D

Yeah, I could 'do' paleo, I think, and lately alot of our meals have been low carb, but I CAN NOT give up beer, ever.  In fact I put 30 cans of Miller in the beer fridge this afternoon.  :showoff:

Sounds like you already have.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Martinus

Paleo gives you constipation, though, so you need to eat some extra fiber.

That being said, I tried "light paleo" (with booze) and could not lose weight - then I dropped booze for a while and lost a tonne, despite eating a lot of everything.

So yeah guys, I'm sorry to say but if you want to lose weight, giving up booze is the way to go. :(

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on August 09, 2015, 11:46:33 AM
What exactly is Paleo again?

Basically, eating what palaeolithic hunter-gatherers would eat. So anything that can be hunted (meat, fish) or can be picked (vegetables, fruit, honey, nuts, eggs) but no dairy, no grains and no processed foods. Obviously, any alcoholic stuff is a no-no by this philosophy, so people cheat and call it "paleo light" so they can get pissed.

The philosophy behind this diet is that the agricultural revolution is a recent phenomenon, and our bodies did not evolve to accommodate it.

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on August 09, 2015, 11:51:52 AMThe philosophy behind this diet is that the agricultural revolution is a recent phenomenon, and our bodies did not evolve to accommodate it.

And that's utter bullshit.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

I've given up on diets.

The so-called "Mediterranean" diet is the closest thing to something I follow. Fish, olive oil, vegetables, lean meats and wholegrain. I have eaten so much spinach these past few years, I basically am Popeye The Sailor Man.

Alcohol and sugary drinks have a metric shittonne of calories, but I daresay if booze is what's keeping you from losing weight if you're trying, it's not really the weight's that's your primary issue... ;)

Tonitrus

My casual research tells me that the ultimate food for maximizing fat/calories/sugar into the smallest, tastiest morsel possible is...cheesecake.

PDH

The wonderful thing about the paleo people is that hunter/gatherers did indeed eat grains (and did so whenever they could find such wild things).  The basic arguments about domestication of such plants depends on scheduled rounds of hunter/gatherers coming and harvesting such plants...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on August 09, 2015, 12:38:47 AM
So yeah guys, I'm sorry to say but if you want to lose weight, giving up booze is the way to go. :(

For you.  I've had days recently where I had to crack open a couple beers at the evening in order to get to my minimum calories for that day.  Moderate consumption doesn't seem to hurt me much.  It's those damned bottle shares and beer festivals that do it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall