0 (0%)
Other
2 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on June 29, 2015, 02:20:09 PM
It's from 1999.

I believe in the 'Long 90s' historical theory :P

From November 9, 1989 until September 11, 2001.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on June 29, 2015, 02:23:13 PM
Swingers is probably my favorite 90s movie.  Not sure I'd call it the "most 90s" movie, though.

That's because you're not money.  If you were money, you would think so.

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2015, 02:21:05 PM
I want to change my vote to a write-in:  Swingers.  :smoke:

Shame on you Sav for leaving it off.  :pope:

Mea Maxima Culpa, "Swingers" and "The Crow" would have been good choices.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Pulp Fiction is one of the most influential movies of the past 25 years. For that reason I wouldn't call it "most 90s of the 90s", since its influence has expanded past that decade.

I went with Reality Bites. Quintessential "X generation" film (and I don't mean that as a good thing).

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on June 29, 2015, 02:34:51 PM
I went with Reality Bites. Quintessential "X generation" film (and I don't mean that as a good thing).

'Poor us! Our lives are so easy yet we feel so empty!!!111 :cry:'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on June 29, 2015, 02:34:51 PM
Pulp Fiction is one of the most influential movies of the past 25 years. For that reason I wouldn't call it "most 90s of the 90s", since its influence has expanded past that decade.

Yeah, it was "The Graduate" for Generation X; look at me I'm smug and unemployed.   :cool:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2015, 02:10:53 PM
I thought it was American Beauty. A story about people without any problems creating problems so they can feel alive. Rather like how OJ Simpson and Presidential blow jobs were points of passionate outrage back in those days.

This is the current consensus on,AB, which I don't agree with for various reasons.  It's more that the pain of male lust and human unsuitability for monogamy are cliched topics, and couching it in white middle-class male ennui is the most cliched way to go about it. But it's still one of the best executions of those themes.  If nothing else, grappling with the fact that men of all ages still want to fuck teenagers head-on and with some sympathy deserves credit, even if our society wants to pretend that's not true.

The biggest problems are the lameness of the teenaged characters and the incredibly slanted treatment of Annette Benning's character, essentially adopting Lester's contempt for her as its own.

I think AB would be a very, very good choice for Most 90s movie, however.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Another movie that at least deserves to be shortlisted IMO is Trainspotting.

Norgy

Quote from: derspiess on June 29, 2015, 02:14:22 PM
I voted Pulp Fiction since IMO it was the most influential on 90s pop culture.  But I guess I should have voted Reality Bites to answer the actual poll question :Embarrass:

Among those listed, it definitely was the best one. Re-invented that crazy scientologist Travolta too.
One of the first widescreen movies shown in the little town I come from. I pulled a muscle when Tim Roth drew his gun.

Without Pulp Fiction, I doubt there'd be much Tarantino later.
And I'll have a pack of them Green Apples, please.

derspiess

I really didn't like any aspect of American Beauty.  It was just over the top pretentiousness from start to finish.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2015, 02:25:00 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on June 29, 2015, 02:20:09 PM
It's from 1999.

I believe in the 'Long 90s' historical theory :P

From November 9, 1989 until September 11, 2001.

Oh, in that case it's Jurassic Park III.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.