1 (2.4%)
The Phantom Menace (1999)
0 (0%)
Other
2 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on June 29, 2015, 02:23:13 PM
Swingers is probably my favorite 90s movie.  Not sure I'd call it the "most 90s" movie, though.

Yeah. I think people are voting for their favourite movie, not the most quintessentially 90s movie.

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on June 30, 2015, 02:18:43 AM
I guess American Beauty will be a controversial choice, but I think it encapsulates the middle class ennui of the time and aimlessness of the young generation.

Indeed--another reason to boost for American Beauty (albeit not moreso than Clerks) as "The Film of the 1990s" is how viciously people turned against it once the 21st century was underway.  Of course, you could say that about Fight Club.

I question Seven.  My third favorite Fincher film, and a big hit, and all that, but it practically takes place in an alternate dimension and while it has a lot to say it doesn't appear to me to be speaking for a decade or a generation.  Rather just for Andrew Kevin Walker's unpleasant time in New York, and David Fincher's skill at producing gross nihilistic shockers. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Pulp Fiction is the epitome of film postmodernism in the West, really. I agree with Ide that his effect on my generation was insane - I started film school two years after it was released and every-fucking-body was shooting and writing Pulp Fiction ripoffs - but it stands on its own. It's the perfect encapsulation and regurgitation of how films were made in America up to that point. One of my teachers used to quip that all of American film history existed so Tarantino could go and make Pulp Fiction.

Ideologue

See, that's the kind of overpraise that 20 years later sounds insane.

Douglas Sirk didn't make movies so Tarantino could put his name on a fucking steak.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on June 30, 2015, 03:17:34 AM
See, that's the kind of overpraise that 20 years later sounds insane.

Douglas Sirk didn't make movies so Tarantino could put his name on a fucking steak.

He said that in 2010 :p

He used to get very emotional when talking about films though. I loved him.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on June 30, 2015, 03:24:49 AM

He used to get very emotional when talking about films though.

Like me when I talk about Valhalla Rising. :ultra:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on June 30, 2015, 03:29:56 AM
Quote from: celedhring on June 30, 2015, 03:24:49 AM

He used to get very emotional when talking about films though.

Like me when I talk about Valhalla Rising. :ultra:

A movie that perfectly summarizes Sweden for foreigners.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

For me it was Pulp Fiction - because it was a movie made up of borrowings from other eras, thrown together with ironic style -- an attitude that perfectly summarizes the '90s.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Showgirls gives everybody AIDS and shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Showgirls might have worked if whatshername had better tits.

Warspite

If I had to pick a basket of films that I consider very 90s, and between them capture many of its aspects (at least in the rich world), then it would be:

- Trainspotting
- Clueless
- The Big Lebowski
- Office Space
- Pulp Fiction
- The Matrix

Of these, I reckon Pulp Fiction is the most 1990s of them all, even if it doesn't have flannel shirts or normcore.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Larch