The Matrix (1999)
1 (2.4%)
The Phantom Menace (1999)
0 (0%)
Other
2 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Savonarola

Nirvana is on the radio, coffee houses are popping up everywhere, you're wearing flannel and everyone is making an Indie film.  What movie most exemplifies this decade to you? 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

I'd have to say Reality Bites or Clueless. For the toss, I'll give it to Clueless.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Voted Clerks.

I think it's telling that none of these movies has a memorable sound track.

Eddie Teach

Sticking with Reality Bites. The 90s was about finding reasons to be unhappy in a world where everything seemed to be improving.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2015, 01:47:44 PM
Voted Clerks.

Pulp Fiction did:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4cLmXml8O0
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Almost voted Fight Club, but the lazy bitching and endless tedium inherent to the lives of the characters in Clerks won out. Fight Club is the better document of Gen X insecurities, but Clerks is the truer reflection of them as they are, and the world they inherited and signally failed to improve.

Bearing in mind that I found Reality Bites so grating I turned it off 30 minutes in.

I also considered arguing for Speed. It's no generational document, but it does capture the "Die Hard on a blank" filmmaking that absolutely dominated action cinema for much of the decade.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

(For the same reason, one could reasonably vote for Howard's End. UGH.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Savonarola on June 29, 2015, 01:50:22 PM

Meh.  It's a purposefully retro soundtrack.  That doesn't count for generation defining purposes.

frunk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2015, 01:47:44 PM

I'd say Clerks, Pulp Fiction, Fight Club and The Matrix do.  Of those only Clerks has what I would call a "90s" soundtrack.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: frunk on June 29, 2015, 01:55:44 PM
I'd say Clerks, Pulp Fiction, Fight Club and The Matrix do.  Of those only Clerks has what I would call a "90s" soundtrack.

I guess now it would be appropriate to admit I've never seen any of these movies.  :D

Seriously, I can't remember a single tune from any of those except Pulp Fiction.  I though Clerks was music-free.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2015, 01:55:34 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on June 29, 2015, 01:50:22 PM

Meh.  It's a purposefully retro soundtrack.  That doesn't count for generation defining purposes.

The question isn't what movie defined generation in the 90s.  You would first have to figure out what generation you were talking about.  90s music was largely derivative of past decades.  That is, in part, what makes Pulp Fiction the perfect choice.

Savonarola

Ah, then "Reality Bites," a spectacularly mediocre soundtrack for a spectacularly mediocre generation.   :cool:

Eddie Teach

Crazy Canuck is clearly too old to be voting on this.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Savonarola on June 29, 2015, 02:01:43 PM

Ah, then "Reality Bites," a spectacularly mediocre soundtrack for a spectacularly mediocre generation.   :cool:

Lisa Loeb. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.