1 (2.4%)
The Phantom Menace (1999)
0 (0%)
Other
2 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Norgy

Reality Bites was quintessentially 90s.

Pulp Fiction was, well, pulp fiction and not very representative of the 90s. Decent soundtrack though. But no songs from the actual 90s. That's a rather clear indication it was a throwback to a different era, yes?

Valmy

I thought it was American Beauty. A story about people without any problems creating problems so they can feel alive. Rather like how OJ Simpson and Presidential blow jobs were points of passionate outrage back in those days.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on June 29, 2015, 02:10:52 PM
Pulp Fiction was, well, pulp fiction and not very representative of the 90s. Decent soundtrack though. But no songs from the actual 90s. That's a rather clear indication it was a throwback to a different era, yes?

Well the story took place in the 70s.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

frunk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2015, 01:58:33 PM
I though Clerks was music-free.

Girls Against Boys, Soul Asylum, Bad Religion, Corrosion of Conformity, Jesus Lizard, Bash & Pop.  Pretty damn 90sish.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2015, 02:10:53 PM
I thought it was American Beauty. A story about people without any problems creating problems so they can feel alive. Rather like how OJ Simpson and Presidential blow jobs were points of passionate outrage back in those days.

American Beauty is a 90s movie???

derspiess

I voted Pulp Fiction since IMO it was the most influential on 90s pop culture.  But I guess I should have voted Reality Bites to answer the actual poll question :Embarrass:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2015, 02:13:50 PM
American Beauty is a 90s movie???

In my mind quintessentially so. But I have never had this discussion with anybody, just my experience of watching the films.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 29, 2015, 02:14:22 PM
I voted Pulp Fiction since IMO it was the most influential on 90s pop culture.  But I guess I should have voted Reality Bites to answer the actual poll question :Embarrass:

Yeah out of the group I voted Reality Bites.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2015, 02:16:52 PM
In my mind quintessentially so. But I have never had this discussion with anybody, just my experience of watching the films.

I just thought it was much more recent than that.

Savonarola

Quote from: Norgy on June 29, 2015, 02:10:52 PM
Reality Bites was quintessentially 90s.

Pulp Fiction was, well, pulp fiction and not very representative of the 90s.

There were a lot of Indie crime films in the 90s which drew inspiration from Pulp Fiction.  Some were very good, like "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" or "Go"; others were like "The Boondock Saints."  Plus there were the two films that preceded it, "True Romance" and "Reservoir Dogs."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

MadImmortalMan

Speaking just for myself, my 90s is The Crow.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2015, 02:17:56 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2015, 02:16:52 PM

I just thought it was much more recent than that.

It's from 1999.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

I want to change my vote to a write-in:  Swingers.  :smoke:

Shame on you Sav for leaving it off.  :pope:

derspiess

Swingers is probably my favorite 90s movie.  Not sure I'd call it the "most 90s" movie, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2015, 01:47:44 PM
Voted Clerks.

I think it's telling that none of these movies has a memorable sound track.
Pulp Fiction was already named, but The Matrix also had a really good sound track.