News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gay Marriage Upheld by USSC in Close Ruling

Started by Syt, June 26, 2015, 09:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on September 08, 2015, 10:00:59 AM
I don't agree. This is close to stating that beliefs that are "damaging to society as a whole" ought to be morally sanctioned - whether they are true and provable or not.

Why is that necessary, when the most significant thing about bigotry is that it tends to be provably false?
Well, the point is that I disagree with "provably false".  For one, there isn't even an agreement on what "provably false" means.  A lot of liberals will claim that a single counter-example is a proof of falsity of some generalization.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on September 08, 2015, 11:01:07 AM
Well, the point is that I disagree with "provably false".  For one, there isn't even an agreement on what "provably false" means.  A lot of liberals will claim that a single counter-example is a proof of falsity of some generalization.

Nice ad hom.  Mistaking correlation for causation is not a uniquely liberal trait.
Experience bij!

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Jaron on September 08, 2015, 11:13:06 AM
I don't think that is an ad hom.

It's got elements of a fallacy of composition ( the implication that, since some liberals mistake correlation for causation, so all liberals must mistake correlation for causation) and an ad hominem argument (the implication that being liberal makes one more likely to mistake correlation for causation).
Experience bij!

garbon

I think you might be overthinking / misconstruing his comment. :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

I understand what you're saying, but I think you're analyzing it very two dimensionally.

He certainly would have been out of line to say all liberals make such a logical error, but to say a lot is arguably true. Many liberals are young and idealistic and thus unlikely to compromise on their core values. It isn't a stretch to say that many liberals are subject to jump to conclusions. It says nothing about conservatives but offers a brief but sharp analysis of the liberal mindset as a whole.

I think something all 'all liberals are idiots and therefore ... ' would have been more aligned with an ad hom attack. I think you're just being a typical liberal and being ultra sensitive right now.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on September 08, 2015, 11:25:42 AM
DSB does tend to do it a lot.  Yes, there are some counterexamples when he doesn't say something stupid and and ill-fitting to the discussion, but...  Actually, hold on a minute, are there any such counter-examples?  :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on September 08, 2015, 11:31:45 AM
DSB does tend to do it a lot.  Yes, there are some counterexamples when he doesn't say something stupid and and ill-fitting to the discussion, but...  Actually, hold on a minute, are there any such counter-examples?  :hmm:

Ok that might have been an ad hom :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2015, 11:33:01 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 08, 2015, 11:31:45 AM

Ok that might have been an ad hom :P
:blush:

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on September 08, 2015, 09:26:58 AM
Can you give me an example of stuff WBC ignores?

And I have probably done more Bible reading and studying that you or most so-called Christians, for that matter.

I think that they ignore the dietary laws, the "give away all of your possessions and live among the poor" example, and the "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" principal, all off of the top of my head without having read the bible in years.  It strikes me as peculiar that you claim to "have probably done more Bible reading and studying that[sic] you" and yet you couldn't come up with any of those.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on September 08, 2015, 11:01:07 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 08, 2015, 10:00:59 AM
I don't agree. This is close to stating that beliefs that are "damaging to society as a whole" ought to be morally sanctioned - whether they are true and provable or not.

Why is that necessary, when the most significant thing about bigotry is that it tends to be provably false?

To my mind, it isn't being incorrect about a generalization that makes the bigot, it is being unwilling to examine, in good faith, the evidence concerning a generalization - it is the closed mind. Ultimately, it is someone who *wants* to believe negative generalizations about others - something hard to judge initially, but that becomes clear when they reject perfectly good evidence in order to avoid changing their mind concerning a negative generalization.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on September 08, 2015, 09:11:44 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2015, 08:41:51 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 08, 2015, 08:36:01 AM
I think for starters there is a difference between being anti-gay and anti-religion - being gay is an innate biological trait, being religious is an acquired worldview/philosophical choice. Being anti-religion or anti-Christian is like being anti-communist or anti-capitalist - it may involve some degree of misrepresentation of the views one is opposed to, but it is nowhere comparable to being, saying, homophobic, racist or antisemitic.

I don't know...saying that all Christians are actually the WBC and you respect them for being 'honest' is pretty comparable to what racists or antisemites say.

Not really - again, the Bible is a verifiable, objectively existing text, which can be read and interpreted. So if you say you think the Bible is the word of God, it is not a "generalisation" or "bigotry" to expect you to agree with everything the Bible says (it would be different if you said that the Bible is simply a historical text, that has some value still today but by large is outdated and inadequate to modern times).

Very comparable.  Viking made similar statements about biblical literalists being the only one he could respect because they made the easiest targets to attack.  It like saying the only true secularist are the Khmer Rouge.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.