News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Musings on nature of Facebook

Started by Martinus, June 26, 2015, 12:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 26, 2015, 12:22:10 AM
Ok, so now there is another post, courtesy of AmScip, on my feed, from yet another (not previously mentioned) troll/idiot he is friends with, who claims that the rainbow LGBT flag is as offensive as the confederate flag and should be similarly banned.

The Confederate Flag is not being banned. Corporations are running from it because it hurts their brand image. So sounds like he needs to stop whining and start associating bad things with the rainbow flag for corporations to be cowardly about.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on June 26, 2015, 12:22:10 AM
Ok, so now there is another post, courtesy of AmScip, on my feed, from yet another (not previously mentioned) troll/idiot he is friends with, who claims that the rainbow LGBT flag is as offensive as the confederate flag and should be similarly banned.

Why does he have so many idiots as friends?

He lives in Mississippi and is a libertarian.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

I'm Facebook friends with many people I disagree with politically-- I'm sure some of my views offend them and vice-versa.  So I generally try not to post much about politics.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 26, 2015, 08:53:24 AM
I'm Facebook friends with many people I disagree with politically-- I'm sure some of my views offend them and vice-versa.  So I generally try not to post much about politics.

Yep. Facebook is where I say happy birthday to people :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2015, 07:36:06 AM
The Confederate Flag is not being banned. Corporations are running from it because it hurts their brand image. So sounds like he needs to stop whining and start associating bad things with the rainbow flag for corporations to be cowardly about.

It's not being legally banned, but it's a full-on purge that sure feels like a ban.  I dislike the Confederate flag and always have, but I'm a little uncomfortable with the frenzy and reaction on both sides.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 26, 2015, 08:59:24 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2015, 07:36:06 AM

It's not being legally banned, but it's a full-on purge that sure feels like a ban.  I dislike the Confederate flag and always have, but I'm a little uncomfortable with the frenzy and reaction on both sides.

My whole thing is I don't want the Confederate Battle Flag as a symbol for government. I don't want it on state flags and waiving over state capitals. Other less incendiary symbols of the Confederacy are fine but that one is too stained by segregation and racism. It is hard to waive it in the context of government without seeming to be endorsing those policies or at least saying those weren't so bad.

But the current purge is not really about that (well ok it is kind of about that, but that part I support), it is about corporations being so image crazy. They are so freaking cowardly when it comes to anything tarnishing their brand. So we have idiocy like Apple banning Civil War games and Walmart not selling T-shirts.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2015, 08:57:03 AM

I got tired of that shit, so now no one gets a Happy Birthday from me. :lol:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Maladict

Quote from: lustindarkness on June 26, 2015, 09:04:45 AM

Yeah, same. And if I do it's by private message.
I removed my birthday from public view and went from something like 50 happy birthdays to absolutely nothing the next year, it was awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2015, 09:02:22 AM
My whole thing is I don't want the Confederate Battle Flag as a symbol for government. I don't want it on state flags and waiving over state capitals. Other less incendiary symbols of the Confederacy are fine but that one is too stained by segregation and racism. It is hard to waive it in the context of government without seeming to be endorsing those policies or at least saying those weren't so bad.

No arguments with that.  And thankfully I live in a state where it's not an issue.  I'd like for voters in South Carolina and Mississippi to come to their senses, but there's nothing I can do to force it.

QuoteBut the current purge is not really about that (well ok it is kind of about that, but that part I support), it is about corporations being so image crazy. They are so freaking cowardly when it comes to anything tarnishing their brand. So we have idiocy like Apple banning Civil War games and Walmart not selling T-shirts.

Yep.

derspiess

Thing is, some people really crave that bit of attention, even if it's obvious you're typing "Happy Birthday" and probably not even thinking any more about them the rest of the day.  Come to think of it, these are a lot of the same people that post 10 selfies each day.

The Larch

Quote from: Maladict on June 26, 2015, 09:08:44 AM

Yeah, same. And if I do it's by private message.
I removed my birthday from public view and went from something like 50 happy birthdays to absolutely nothing the next year, it was awesome.

Sometimes you guys make me wonder if I'm the only marginally sociable person in this board.  :mellow:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

I have a wide variety of FB friends.  A couple post nutty right-wing stuff, a couple post nutty left-wing stuff.  None of which I agree with, so I hardly think it's any reflection on me.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

That comment doesn't so much sound nasty as just stupid.
██████
██████
██████