News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 14, 2016, 11:02:54 AM
Jesus H. Simon & Schuster Christ, I am choking out the next motherfucker that sends me a document who doesn't know the difference between "e.g." and "i.e."

Is that better or worse that the people who abuse "e.g." semi-correctly? Things like starting a sentence with it, writing "for e.g.", or working it midstream in a sentence?

The Brain

No judge. No jury. Straight to execution.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on July 14, 2016, 02:51:32 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 14, 2016, 11:02:54 AM
Jesus H. Simon & Schuster Christ, I am choking out the next motherfucker that sends me a document who doesn't know the difference between "e.g." and "i.e."

Is that better or worse that the people who abuse "e.g." semi-correctly? Things like starting a sentence with it, writing "for e.g.", or working it midstream in a sentence?

Here's one that just stuck in my craw:

QuoteEven in C you can e.g. use singleton structs to distinguish different semantic types.

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on July 14, 2016, 02:28:41 PM
Today I was driving to work on a 4 lane highway, and going the other direction a school bus stopped to pick up like a zillion kids. I gunned it and drove past the bus. Even though the bus was stopped by the time I got to it, the stop sign was still extending as I drove past (it might have gotten extended when I was next to it) - meaning that if I was to only rely on the stop sign there was no way I could have stopped in time. I could of course of noticed a school bus was stopped with a bunch of kids waiting to get on, but i don't think that is the requirement.

A cop pulled me over. I tried to argue my point of view. He didn't give me a ticket, but he spent an incredible amount of time explaining how awful it is to drive past a school bus with a stop sign extended. He said it is an $800 fine, with 6 points on my license, which seems excessive. He kept coming back to "don't argue with me", which I didn't do after the first minute, when he also said he wasn't going to give me a ticket.

$800 seems a bit excessive. Also seems like I'd never win an appeal. But I also don't think I did anything wrong, besides speeding.

Wait, he's letting you off with a lecture and you are complaining?  :lol:

If I was him, I'd have given you that ticket, just for being a fool.   :P

The correct answer in that situation was "I'm sorry officer, now that you have explained it to me I realize what I was doing was foolish and dangerous, and I will never do it again"  :contract: Even if you happen to think you were right, do you really want to risk an $800 fine and six points to prove that to some random cop you will never, hopefully, see again?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

lustindarkness

Should have given you the $800 fine. :mad:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

alfred russel

Guys, I didn't argue with him once he said I wasn't getting a ticket. I was polite and respectful, even at first when I started to argue.

Malthus, the problems with admitting fault, after being told I wasn't getting a ticket, are that, a) basically that would be announcing I was lying to him to get out of the ticket, b) while I quit arguing, pride wise I won't fall on my sword like that, and c) it was a 4 lane road, with a turning lane, so basically 5 lanes. I was in the right hand lane on the other side of the street. I have no idea how it is at all dangerous - there were three empty highway lanes between me and the bus. The law is the law and you have to stop, but realistically, there was 0 danger.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

I'm not really complaining about the amount of the fine, anyway, i didn't get fined, but am I really teh only one that thinks $800 and 6 points on your license is a bit draconian?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on July 14, 2016, 04:45:47 PM
I'm not really complaining about the amount of the fine, anyway, i didn't get fined, but am I really teh only one that thinks $800 and 6 points on your license is a bit draconian?

You are complaining about the amount of the fine, and yes, you are.

The reason why there WAS risk is that it is a school bus.  Kids are known to be impulsive.  They could easily run off the bus and run across the street.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

For speeding past a stopped school bus?

No, that's not draconian at all.

mongers

So as not to pollute a serious thread, I'll post it here:

Damn I'm shallow, viewing the BBC news coverage of the massacre in Nice, I've thought a couple of times, good grief the news anchor has a nice rack, doesn't she.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Quote from: mongers on July 14, 2016, 06:22:52 PM
So as not to pollute a serious thread, I'll post it here:

Damn I'm shallow, viewing the BBC news coverage of the massacre in Nice, I've thought a couple of times, good grief the news anchor has a nice rack, doesn't she.  :blush:

I thought their coverage on the world news channel was moronic. Even a blind dog knows it was an attack, not a 'collision' or 'incident'.

Didn't notice anchor rack.  :blush:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

I bet Mennonites are behind it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on July 14, 2016, 06:30:06 PM
I bet Mennonites are behind it.

Royalists from the Vendee.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on July 14, 2016, 05:10:49 PM

For speeding past a stopped school bus?

No, that's not draconian at all.
If the situation as Dorsey described it was accurate, then if he did hit a child from that school bus, that child should be added to the 100m sprint Olympic team right away, posthumously.  I do see the logic in enforcing such laws with zero tolerance, though, by at least stopping everyone to chew them out, since having drivers determine what's reasonable and what's not can let the situation creep to dangerous levels over time.

On a somewhat related note, on my third driving lesson, I was driving past the schoolbus.  My instructor back then said the words that I would remember forever:  "Keep going, he didn't put the stop sign out, *screech* *trut-trut-trut* *screech* FUCKING IDIOT, WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING, FUCKING IDIOT.  Oh, look, now he put the stop sign out, fucking idiot."