News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Yeah, Marina is a shit place to go out nowadays. It was a shit place before the clubs closed down though, so not much is lost.

Savonarola

:o

My parents never told me that story, even in the 1970s "Little Black Sambo" was considered racist (though we did have Sambo's Restaurants...) so it's a little surprising to see it even in a 1958 Peanuts strip.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on July 15, 2016, 09:34:23 AM

My parents never told me that story, even in the 1970s "Little Black Sambo" was considered racist (though we did have Sambo's Restaurants...) so it's a little surprising to see it even in a 1958 Peanuts strip.

The Sambo thing is odd because of course there is nothing particularly racist about the stories themselves - what was racist was the illustrations used with the story in the US, which made "Sambo" out to be a stereotypical southern Black (the original story was of course set in India).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on July 15, 2016, 09:56:14 AM

The Sambo thing is odd because of course there is nothing particularly racist about the stories themselves - what was racist was the illustrations used with the story in the US, which made "Sambo" out to be a stereotypical southern Black (the original story was of course set in India).

Well probably merged in with the racist usage of Sambo in US that was already prevalent before the stories.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

I had that book in the 70s.  I think mine had him as Indian.  So I don't think it made me raciss.  But man did it make me constantly hungry for pancakes  :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on July 15, 2016, 03:02:56 AM
Yeah, Marina is a shit place to go out nowadays. It was a shit place before the clubs closed down though, so not much is lost.
Curious.
My friend insisted it was the best thing ever.
But it's null as it's gone.

What happened there?
Did everything move.to another part of town?
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

(though we did have Sambo's Restaurants...)

Ironically enough, really great pancake breafasts.

Really don't see why why seeing it in a 1958 comic strip should surprise you, though.

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on July 15, 2016, 11:02:43 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 15, 2016, 03:02:56 AM
Curious.
My friend insisted it was the best thing ever.
But it's null as it's gone.

What happened there?
Did everything move.to another part of town?

Yeah, it moved to the centre of town. Marina used to be *the* place to go out in Barcelona in my student years. Barcelona was a pretty boring place in the 90s, there wasn't anywhere else to go if you were young and with little disposable income. But it was all shitty dives and tacky discos/night clubs. Since they were located in an old industrial area, they were cheap and thus popular with students. Your friend loves it probably out of nostalgia, I have tons of memories myself. But there's many better places nowadays, like Gòtic or Gràcia.

Also, that 5 story club to my knowledge is still open (I assume she meant Razzmatazz). The place has just lost tons of traffic (and lots of smaller clubs closed) since there are much better places to go now.

Josquius

She said there were more alternative bars there with good music.  Plus yes. Cheap.

Lisbon today.
Looks small and pretty
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Pokemon Go!

I don't get it.

Back in my day, I used to see strange creatures running around that no one else could see as well. I just didn't need a phone--other than to call my dealer.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on July 15, 2016, 11:46:00 AM
Pokemon Go!

I don't get it.

Back in my day, I used to see strange creatures running around that no one else could see as well. I just didn't need a phone--other than to call my dealer.

There are packs of people roaming the streets using their phones like star trek sensors. 

Valmy

I have been playing it alot but then it has been to spend time with my five year old. It is kind of fun when you find a new Pokemon but I have never watched the show or anything so I have no idea who they are or anything. Also not sure what it is we are supposed to do with all these silly little creatures now that we have them.

David says we need to train them at a gym. Sounds boring but he seems excited about it.

Why adults play this game I have no idea but then Pokemon did not come out until after I was already an adult so I don't have the nostalgia factor going on.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on July 15, 2016, 11:41:21 AM
She said there were more alternative bars there with good music.  Plus yes. Cheap.

Lisbon today.
Looks small and pretty

Yeah, there were some pretty good music places in that area, but they are long gone. Razzmatazz itself used to be one of the best music venues in town, but they changed ownership in the early 2000s and turned to shit.

I hope you enjoyed your stay here, despite the partying disappointment  :P

lustindarkness

My daughter is on vacation with her grandmother/my mtr-in-law. Grandma made the mistake of getting my daughter's phone wet (I'll have to get her as new one <_<) by accident, so my daughter has basically confiscated her grandmothers phone, downloaded Pokémon Go on it and the half their vacation not spent in the water has consisted of walking around playing the game.  :nelson:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Savonarola

I've been using Duolingo to brush up Italian.  Every so often you get a really weird sentence to translate.  I thought the forum would enjoy this one:

QuoteAre we men or lawyers?

(Siamo uomini o avvocati?)

Siamo Devo, ovviamente
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock